Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bar-ends, what’s yours?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Love a bar end, me. Riding from this doorstep is pretty much a climb from the off.

So what are the best, why, and are any (other than new Ergons) compatible with carbon bars? Am looking at a set of GP3 unless something better shows up 🙂

scotroutes

Cane Cake Ergos. They disappeared for a while but were revised and re-released.

Good profile.

Rubber coated.

Fit as the outer “lock-on” on a standard ODI-type grip if you want.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thnks scotroutes will check them out.

Also looking for all-in-one solutions ie grips with ends

Straightliner

Yep, I second Scotroutes suggestion – have used them on several bikes, they’re comfortable and grippy.

breninbeener

I have those CC bar ends. Used them on Italy divide, they were ace.

scotroutes

Also looking for all-in-one solutions ie grips with ends

Yeah, I’ve been using Ergon GE1s on other bikes. I like them a lot as they seem to add a degree or two of added sweep (due to the way the grip is moulded). An Ergon with built-in bar-end is an attractive option so I’ll be very interested in your research, though I don’t think any of them have that added sweep feature.

mattbee

Don’t have bat ends as such but I do have some TOGS inboard of the grips. Like tiny bar end for your thumbs.

matt_outandabout

X-Lite Stubby’s here for RetroBike bragging.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Have some TOGS inboard…

Not heard of those, are they like the SQlab Innerbarends? I tried those and found OK for long flat sections on flat bars, but not so nice when cornering and useless uphills which is where I seem to spend most of my riding in latter years!

Over the years have tried a few options for trekking and/or steep climbs

Clockwise from top left:

SQlab innerbarends
    As mentioned.

Procraft Evo
    On risers 😑. These are long grips with an L-bend (internal fit with expanding end-plug 😎)
    Dual-density (soft-grip rubber insert) and great shape for long distance trekking/climbing/pseudo-aero stretched-out posture. The method of attachment doesn’t affect bar-space and so are also easily taken on and off as required, simply replace with end-cap. Liked these a lot, but may look at smaller options as riding has changed to shorter trips/more MTB. Also the rubber grip sort of melted after 4 years.

On One Geoff bars with tape wrap and Ergon GC1* Biokork grips
    *designed for swept bars

Great for lugging stuff, very relaxed and upright position, plenty of grip positions, poor turning circle on trails (hits knees) but ultimately heavy bars. Climbing on the loops I found OK for short stretches but too far inboard for steering offroad. A mixed bag.

RSP/generic oldskool curved aluminium tubes with big clamp, 110ishmm bar ends (I wrapped with bar-tape)

Meh. Too thin. Too hard, need too much tape, PITA over time. Too cold and lumpy on the clamp. Not really ergonomic at all.

Ergon GR2 (old style with magnesium ends)

Nearly win out, actually great with palm-wing, uber comfortable except for hard, cold, corroding magnesium bar-ends which were for me a tad too short for extended climbing and neither too comfortable for long hauls as a rest position. Nonetheless very taken with the design in principle and the grip compounds are hands-down (ha!) the best vibration-dampers I’ve ever tried. This means that in theory the newer GP2 or GP3s are now strong contenders. Especially as approved on carbon bars.

scotroutes

TOGS are much, much smaller and are just large enough to hook your thumbs round. They work pretty well – I have two sets. Ideal for when you just want to rest your hands on the bars as they give a little stability. I find them particularly good in winter as my fingers stay warmer when not having to grip the bars so much Expensive though and you can now get cheap rip-offs from China.

qwerty
    Free Member

Original set of Cane Creek Ergons on my commuter, I love ’em.

Inbred456
    Free Member

EBC bar end.

Bought these in a rush about 5 yrs ago. They are so comfy with a large range of options to rest your hands. They just work and are such good value.

survivor

+1 for TOGS love mine…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

EBC bar end

I took a look at those ta, and was overheard saying ‘those do look comfortable’

So Mrs Rider Noseycouch glances over at my browser and says she thought I was looking at

Socks? Specifically pixie’s socks? Socks for a pixie? 🤣😂🤣

Now I can’t unsee it and neither will she stop ripping the piss😡

scotroutes

LOL.

She has a point…

Oblongbob

A bar end appreciation thread – I’m in!! Stubbies on a couple of my bikes (Tioga maybe? Logos scratched off ages ago). Bar ends are the best. I use them most of the time except when braking needed. Just feels right. Like the hoods on a road bike.

benp1

Cane creek ergos here too

Been using the same set on my Solaris for over five years. Love them

Oblongbob

Those EBC ones do look good. And double up as pixie socks too!

fatmax

Specialized Over Endz…got them on my two mountain bikes and love the shape and rubberised cover 👍

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

She has a point…

So do those socks 😂

Not really getting the point of the TOGS tbh. Thumb-rests? Key function (for me at least) of a bar end is to move from regular MTB grip to the ‘handshake’ grip, therefore using a wider muscle-range for powering/climbing. This says it better than I can:

In the list of pros for bar ends is the argument that they give your hands another position and increase leverage when climbing by recruiting more muscle groups, primarily the triceps, shoulders, and latissimus dorsi in your back. Moving your hands in front of the bar also shifts your weight forward making climbing easier. Some riders feel having your hands parallel with the direction of travel is more ergonomic as well

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/over-to-you-bar-ends-yay-or-nay/

mjsmke

Is there anything similar to TOGS? They dont seem to be available anywhere in the UK.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bar-ends, what’s yours?’ is closed to new replies.