Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Banshee KS link bearing replacement advice
  • pedlad

So got the smaller bearings pressed in with a mix of homebrew bar washers and nuts and a mates proper press but really struggling with the bigger bearings on the rear triangle.

The banshee pdf states press from either side of both the new bearings “must be with the linkage in between”….but what I don’t understand is that this linkage provides no bracing at all until the inner races are touching it. So all the force is side to side across what is quite spindly metal. The bearing is v tight and was needing more force than either of us were happy applying so we’ve stopped before we trash my frame.

Ideally you would press the bearing from against the back of the same side you’re installing to remove the above forces (the inside face) but this is not flat, has a cut away on one side and a big weld on the other – so we were not not able to seat the press or washers flat to pull against.

Any tips form other banshee owners before I go tail between legs and a pot of bits to the LBS?
    (they’re not banshee dealers so concern is their solution may involve hammers!

Shackleton

Probably best to post on the mtbr forum, the designer is active on there too. Put bearings in the freezer to make them shrink too.

pedlad

Did the freezer trick…

pedlad

Without success
    Banshee instructions

scruff
    Free Member

Mine took some persuading, frozen bearings and boiling water on the frame, used the old bearing as a twatting interface.

cardo

I purchased an RSP bearing press kit.. Did mine whilst sat in front of the Tv with a beer.
    A little expensive but made it really easy.

chiefgrooveguru

“I purchased an RSP bearing press kit.. Did mine whilst sat in front of the Tv with a beer.
    A little expensive but made it really easy.”

I have one of these too and it was very straight-forward on my Spitfire. I don’t need the kit for my new bike so if anyone wants it let me know!

pedlad

We were using an RRP press kit….problem is that you have an uneven surface on the back face of the bearing you’re pressing in or you have to span the two sides of the triangle (both bearings at the same time?).

Which approach did you take?

GavinB

I may be interested in that press kit – got a Prime which is due bearing replacement.

pedlad

Is that RSP kit like step 8 on the banshee doc – pulling in from outside of both bearings with the linkage in place (but not providing any bracing that I can see)?

Seems like having the linkage there is just so that it’s ready in position next to the bearings to put the axle back in? Not to “prevent damage”.

cardo

No the linkage being in place is to stop you from squeezing the new bearings too far through the frame… I think there is a stop on the inside of the frame for the bearing to sit against too..
    it’s been 18 months since I did this btw.

pedlad

Quick update as I’ve had a response to an email I sent to Banshee (from the designer keith no less):
    He agrees that the linkage doesn’t act to brace the two sides and recommends bracing both the chainstay yoke and chainstay yoke tab e.g. with wood/spacers so that no force is put into the frame.

By chainstay tab I’m thinking this is the topside of where the bearing is pressed – the thin metal element I was original concerned with.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Banshee KS link bearing replacement advice’ is closed to new replies.