• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bank error in you favour collect £200 (another moral dilemma)
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Beginning of the month I phoned a well-known telecommunications giant who we all love to hate and informed them I didn’t want to renew a subscription. No problem mr rocket consider the renewal cancelled & your online account will be updated within 48 hours (it was).

Fast forward to the renewal date and they’ve renewed it (many 100s of GBP)

I ring them and give them a bollocking and lodge a formal complaint. Formal complaints manager rings back, apologises and reimburses my bank account with the amount + compensation. End of.

Yesterday they sent me a written apology. In the same post but a different envelope they’ve sent me a cancellation letter together with a cheques for the original amount *groan*.

I don’t know whether to rip it up, send it back or cash it 😐

v8ninety

Accept it as compensation, which is what I assume it is?

bikebouy
    Free Member

You are legally bound to repay any money handed over in error, they can legally ask for it back.

Right, that’s over..

mickmcd
    Free Member

Awaits next thread where well-known telecommunications giant who we all love to hate has taken mucho money out of said account and sent debt collectors round.

Cougar

BFT I assume? Bank it, there’s more chance of me growing a second willy than them noticing.

P-Jay
    Free Member

TBH, I don’t believe morals come into it when you’re talking about PLCs. They don’t operate with any sort of moral restraints, only PR ones.

Personally I’d bank it, £200 isn’t earth shattering and there’s probably a better than average chance some kind of internal audit will highlight the overpayment and they’ll ask for it back – well, they won’t ‘ask for it back’ as such, they would be too ‘normal’ you’ll simply get a bill showing your account is £200 in the red. You’ll likely get this whether you bank it or not, accounting systems can be funny like that.

If, they do ask for it back, pay them, but you don’t need to break your neck, so to speak, to do so.

Cougar

£200 isn’t earth shattering

I believe that this is a pop culture witticism and the actual figure is higher that that.

rocketman
    Free Member

Hmm

* department A took the money after I’d told them not to which was insanely annoying
    * department B apologises and bank transfers a refund + compensation
    * department C cancels the subscription again and sends me a cheque

I’m guessing dept A, B and C don’t have much to do with one another

I should add they did exactly the same thing a few years ago for a smaller amount. I sent the cheque back and they never even acknowledged it

Hmm

ads678

Get it banked!

hels
    Free Member

Bank it and donate the money to your local mountain rescue team.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Do THEM a favour and bank it.

Can you imaging the confusion a cheque sent back to them will create.

martinhutch

Bank it – but don’t spend it just yet…

DezB
    Free Member

Bank it, move it into a savings account.
    Don’t do what I did when I received some unexpected payments into my account and think “ooh, that little savings amount will come in handy for this…” because they will ask for it back at the most inconvenient time (Christmas, cheers Barclays). And the “mistaken payment” depts are really bloody busy.

Flaperon

Seems to be the season for it. Got a cashback cheque for £80 from Carphone Warehouse this morning. I did buy a phone from them last year but cashback was never part of the deal. I’m considering it an unsolicited gift. 🙂

Cougar

I’m guessing dept A, B and C don’t have much to do with one another

Yup, definitely BFT you’re talking about then.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup, definitely BFT you’re talking about then.

lol

OK i’ll bank it

johndoh
    Free Member

I had a similar thing many, many years ago with an insurance claim – it was just before Christmas when I was broken into so the insurance company gave me written authority to collect some goods from their approved supplier (new TV, microwave, stereo etc) which I did. When the settlement came through I got the full amount including the money for the TV etc.

I banked it for a while but they never came back to me so, as a broke bloke struggling to pay off his mortgage, I ended up spending it.

ross980
    Free Member

Bank it. Put it in a high-interest account. If they ask for it back in 6 months time you’ll have made 27p, which will buy you… erm…
    I’d bank it and not spend it (for a while at least)

locum76
    Free Member

You could put the extra £200 towards a punt on a Sick! Frame.

BigJohn

Bank it, because if you didn’t bank it, that wouldn’t show up on their system and if they send the collectors round you’re double out of pocket.

And Premium Bonds are the best place for money that might have to go back. You can get it back easily but there’s a chance of a prize.

DezB
    Free Member

if they send the collectors round

Do you think that would be their first action?? 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bank error in you favour collect £200 (another moral dilemma)’ is closed to new replies.