Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bangermonics – An unplugged plug ?
  • ashmonkey
    Free Member

Morning all,
    Brought a cheap Golf GTI. 2001, 134k.
    All seems well, other than burning a bit of oil its a lovely drive. So chuffed as I always wanted one of these.
    Just one puzzle to solve.

The Cd changer is dead, no FM reception on the radio. I took the main unit out and found the corresponding leads (Cd changer) is not plugged in, obviously the cause of the CD changer not working and maybe the lack of FM signal.

I cant help but wonder why someone left this disconnected:
    Was it done in an effort to get around an issue ?
    Or was it just a forgetful mechanic and once I plug it back in all will be well ?

The garage I brought it from said the car had been “checked” by their mechanic, I didn’t think to check the CD changer when I test drove it.

If I plug it back in will I bring all manner of electrical issues to what appears to be a fault free car ?

Whats your bets ?

I am not great with cars so very much want to avoid any issues. I live in a rural location with no other car if all goes wrong.
    So far I have left it alone but my curiosity and need for tunes is getting the better of me. I might plug it in this morning, should I disconnect the battery before I do ?

Any tips from the more auto electrical minded ?

Drac

Plug it in.

I bet the last owner had their own unit.

nickjb
    Free Member

Might have just been draining the battery. Or maybe they realised it’s not the 90s anymore 🙂

ashmonkey
    Free Member

I probably wont use the changer, but have a bluetooth/FM thingy for music from my phone so want the FM reception working and just want to complete all pretty lights :o)

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ha, I have the same car. No changer, but the CD player was disconnected too when I bought it. Plugged it in and all good. I am stuck in the 90’s though.

Strange, just assumed a previous owner had their own unit.

ashmonkey
    Free Member

Had yours long Jambourgie ?

Do I need to unplug the battery first ?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Had it about six months. Best car I’ve ever had. I actually like it, which is a first for me.

I didn’t unplug the battery. I wouldn’t worry too much about unplugging it if you do need to in the future. Mine’s had battery-related issues so I’ve connected/disconnected it about a hundred times. But tbh, I probably just need to get my wallet out and put a new battery in it. It could be on the original battery for all I know.

Any issues give us a shout. I’m no mechanic but always had VW’s.

Now that I think on it, I think I’ve only disconnected the earth. If you fully disconnect the battery  I’ve heard you’ll get a bloody loud alarm going off. So be prepared for that. 🙂

jam-bo

You could get ipod controllers that mimicked a cd multichanger

maybe there was one of them.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Oh and ‘MK4 Golf Owners Club UK’ on FB is good for diagnosing problems. They’re generally young lads though so be prepared for the answer to everything to be ‘just delete it m8’. They’re big on mapping the ECU etc.

Assuming your 2001 is a MK4? Mine’s 2002.

ashmonkey
    Free Member

Yep, a Mk 4.
    Plugged it in and its fine, well the Cd player and changer is working. Still no FM reception, its like the aerial isn’t connected. Not too fussed but might replace the aerial.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Is it screwed in properly?

Also, little tip. Look in between the boot lid and the body, where the wires go. Pull back the black rubber housing and look for any bare or frayed wire. Then apply electrical tape. Gonna do all my doors today.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.