Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 168 total)
  • Bands that you just don't get.
  • Rorschach
    Free Member

Sleaford Mods but……………….
    This is amazing
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYVcyxBiR34[/video]

edhornby

Sex Pistols – totally cynical manufactured garbage, I’m always amazed how many people are taken in by a band whose singer was auditioned in a trouser shop by the manager with no other band members present

glad someone else mentioned the Libertines as well (and the xx)

I don’t agree about Frank though, everyone’s dad tries to sing like him because he was so good at what he did, his timing and phrasing were faultless (yeah he wasn’t always a saint, that’s a separate discussion)

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more with Frankis comments about the radio. I think only Radio 6 is worth a listen these days.

dannyh
    Free Member

Mobius bands.

With one little twist you can create a one-sided piece of paper. WTF?

toppers3933
    Free Member

With a few notable exceptions U2 are just awful. Given the choice i’d have silence for the rest of my life.

The Libertines. Dreadful. The Vaccines (who i really like) are the band the Libertines could have been.

Coldplay first 2 albums I quite like. They went rapidly downhill after that. Why they insist on writing songs that Chris Martin cannot actually sing I have no idea. They could choose any key they like but they always seem to write in a key he can’t actually sing live.

Rolling Stones. Loads of really mediocre songs and now are just a parody of themselves.

There are loads more.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Bands and drinks I don’t get…
    The Beatles – cheap big brand lager – mass produced ultimately tasteless and full of preservatives, needs sponsorship of major events to keep them relevant
    AC/DC – Sambuca – a wee hit once in a while at the end of an evening is OK
    Pink Floyd – Tequila – niche, and overblown
    U2 – like a decent Port that has now gone off
    Coldplay – own brand diet lemonade
    Elbow – tepid water
    Bruce Springsteen – Bulgarian Wine, some of it is very good, most of it tosh.

Watty

I just don’t get the utter fan worship of the ‘Boss’. Simplistic tosh Brucie Baby, some things do indeed hurt more than cars and girls.

slowoldman

I need a bigger sheet of paper.

Back in the 70s though I was a massive fan of Pink Floyd. These days the only Floyd album I reach for with any sort of regularity is Ummagumma. Dark Side and onwards is a bit meh.

But as someone said, so what? There is a huge selection of music available for all tastes. But we all like a good whinge don’t we?

cinnamon_girl

But we all like a good whinge don’t we?

No but Dez does!

😉

vickypea
    Free Member

DezB- I agree but I’m not listening to the music of my youth- that was a mixture of U2, Bob Dylan, Talking Heads, Big Country and various other stuff

BoardinBob

Re. The edge, he may not be van Halen but to say he’s a poor guitarist is wide of the mark. I would actual say he pushes the guitar beyond typical three chord blandness but yes he does fall short of sweep picking and tapping. His use of scales and tones is actually pretty excellent and the technology he uses to augment his sound is really good.

Bono is a helmet though

BoardinBob

Can I vote for The Stone Roses

I just don’t get it. I think they’re abysmal but I was never a fan of British indie music

perchypanther
    Free Member

Can I vote for The Stone Roses

No. You can’t. How very dare you. 😕

DezB
    Free Member

Big Country

Ooh, now! that’s a band I could never get… godawful. As for without Stuart Adamson, even more ridiculous. Loved The Skids.

But we all like a good whinge don’t we?
    No but Dez does!

Is someone mistaking ‘having an opinion’ for whinging? 😛

shermer75
    Free Member

I can’t decide who I hate: Coldplay or U2, but I suppose U2 has The Edge. Ah thankew!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Another vote for Coldplay, but also Paul Weller and Foo Fighters.
    I really liked the first few albums from the foos, but now they just churn out e same old garbage.
    Same with Paul Weller, Peacock suit, was probably the last great song from him. Now just dull dull dull…

franki
    Free Member

I just don’t get the utter fan worship of the ‘Boss’. Simplistic tosh Brucie Baby, some things do indeed hurt more than cars and girls.

Me neither! Not a clue what appeals about his music.

edlong
    Free Member

The Beatles – cheap big brand lager – mass produced ultimately tasteless and full of preservatives, needs sponsorship of major events to keep them relevant

I know you’re having a laugh, but I can’t say I agree with your analysis there, apart from not remaining relevant – although how a band who broke up more than 40 years ago could, and why they should, be relevant is a moot point imo.

As I’ve mentioned in an earlier post, I’m not really a fan, well probably I like them on the same level as I do Oasis, I can listen to a song or two, but never manage to make it through a whole album.

BUT

mass produced ultimately tasteless and full of preservatives

No, no and no. Like the stuff or not (and largely I don’t) surely you have to respect a band who went from the screaming-teen-girls-drowning-out-the-sound of “Yeah Yeah Yeah She Loves You, ooooh”, stopped touring, and went into the studio with the level of ambition that they did, at the time they did it. Maybe the stuff hasn’t aged well, but they really were breaking new ground with the way they harnessed what was, at the time, the cutting edge of what it was possible for a four piece rock’n’roll band to go into a recording studio and produce.

If nothing else, unlike most “mass produced” pop music they used their power to go into the studio and do whatever the hell THEY wanted to. Want to loop a tape? Sure. I am the eggman? Why not. Number 9? Alright. Unnecessary Italian? Throw that in there.

And to think that they did it, start to finish in seven years? Wow, just wow. Can you imagine one of today’s boy bands doing anything even remotely comparable?

Pigface
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned the Who?

teenrat

Muse – I just don’t get what they are or what they have done. They don’t have a style or genre and from what I can gather are not good musicians. If someone could enlighten me please?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

The Who should have had more mentions

edlong
    Free Member

Muse – I just don’t get what they are or what they have done. They don’t have a style or genre and from what I can gather are not good musicians. If someone could enlighten me please?

I actually rather like Muse, having seen them being excellent live a while before they got successful, but, rather like Coldplay (who I really DON’T like) I too am confused as to how they’ve become as massively successful as they have..

vickypea
    Free Member

Dare I say Neil Young?

jools182
    Free Member

Kasabian, The Jam, The Enemy, Jake Bugg

I can’t stand any of those ‘we’re so working class’ whining tossers

I really don’t want to listen to songs about everything being grim, and tough, and scoring weed

I’m not rich btw, just gets my back up 😀

SaxonRider

vickypea – Member
    Dare I say Neil Young?

Hey! He’s from my hometown!

And besides, who could resist this?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh44QPT1mPE[/video]

followed by this?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1_Do_fc[/video]

8)

binners

Genesis.

I know people who go into raptures over them. Some people who’s taste in music I’d go along with. But to me it just sounds like overlong, twee, self-indulgent tripe.

Mind you… I think that about most ‘Prog’ stuff. Genesis just seem to epitomise it more than anyone else, just because it seems to take itself so seriously. At least Rick Wakeman knew he was ridiculous.

RustySpanner

So many people happy with the limits they impose on their own minds.
    Some who even wear their small-mindedness as a badge of honour.

😛

franki
    Free Member

The thing I object to, is having to put up with other people imposing limits on what I get to listen to. I really have a problem with the radio at work. No matter what station is decided upon, there is so little diversity in the music they play that it makes my blood boil on a daily basis. I can kind of understand the latest releases being on heavy rotation, but why when an artist may have 20 / 30 / 40 years or more’s worth of material to choose from, do they play the same one or two oldies over and over again????
    There’s so much amazing music out there that I’m passionate about, it kills me to have to be force-fed stuff I don’t like.

nickc

Nah. If there’s one thing that’s about as personal as it can get, one’s taste in music shouldn’t be the thing you feel the need to apologise about.

teenrat

I know what I like, but I am very open minded about music and will acknowledge, even when its not my cup of tea, if a song is a good song. As Franki says though, why are all radio stations the same. Why can’t I tune in, on my FM radio in the car, to a station that plays rock music. There is classical radio, so why not jazz radio, rock radio, reggae radio etc.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Pink floyd

I would have said Coldplay and then i had to take the missus to watch them in Manchester and they were utterly brilliant!

tomhoward

Any band formed after 2006, and coldplay. But that may just be because I can’t stand them.

IdleJon

Any band formed after 2006,

I don’t think that most posters on here are aware of music from after 2006. Most from after 1980 by the look of it.

13thfloormonk

Beatles

Rolling Stones

Velvet Underground

Neil Young

Led Zeppelin

Are we all just naming massively famous/popular bands from the sixties and seventies in an attempt to look jaded and cool? Can I play?

The Jimi Hendrix Experience

I mean, all they did was play really good tunes that people really liked

🙄

brassneck

Neil Young – no, but there is rather a lot to work through.
    Beatles – no, still sound fresh to me today
    Radiohead – certainly don’t look grumpy live, and have made some great records.
    Libertines – right. never got it, but I was not of that generation.
    Frank Sinatra – Nail firmly on head. Drivel. When Robbie Williams copies you and comes off better, you are starting from a bad place.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Royal Blood – Their best bits sound like the first 30 seconds of a Nu Metal track and the rest of their stuff goes downhill from there.

IdleJon

The Jimi Hendrix Experience

I mean, all they did was play really good tunes that people really liked

But they were so boring and derivative compared to the bands who came after them. Don’t judge them by the standards of the time. 🙄

😆

franki
    Free Member

I love the psychedelic Beatles songs (but not their early poptastic ones,) and most of Led Zep’s music.
    Stones – only really like “Paint It Black,” Velvet Underground, I’m not that familiar with, but I like some of Lou Reed’s work, despite the fact that he can’t sing in tune. Neil Young – don’t get him at all.
    Jimi Hendrix – still one of the most original guitar players ever. Decent catalogue of songs too.

DezB
    Free Member

Frank Sinatra – Nail firmly on head. Drivel. When Robbie Williams copies you and comes off better, you are starting from a bad place.

Funniest joke ever! Well done brassneck! 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Or how about this: It’s easy to have an opinion about other people’s opinions without having one of your own…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Bands that you just don't get.’ is closed to new replies.