Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 168 total)
  • Bands that you just don't get.
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Anyone get this? Bands that win awards, people who like similar music to you like, good stations like Radio 6 play and sell out festivals and you just can’t get into?

Mines Elbow, I know they’re not a bad band, they just do not flick my switch at all?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Another vote for Elbow. U2…..seriously don’t get the hype.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Radiohead and Coldplay

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Agree on U2, but I genuinely think they’re just a bit crap. When they went on my iphone last year it was one of the worst thing that’s ever happened to me.

jordie
    Free Member

Another vote for U2 oh and I will add the Beatles

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

U2 here as well.

The Edge is a decent guitarist, but Bono can’t sing and as a band I think they are very lazy songwriters. I liked the stuff around the latter half of the 80’s, but everything since has been beyond bland

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh another Elbow and U2 vote here too, add Radiohead and Stereophonics please.. 😆

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ha ha! Thought I’d get panned for this thread!

Only band named so far is Radiohead, but I do agree they are an aquired taste!

Pigface
    Free Member

+1 Beatles

Nirvana, but I think it was because you couldnt escape Nevermind and tortured soul Kurt

The Verve just horrible to my ears

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Libertines. U2 for making great singles but rubbish albums. The Strokes. Slaves. The Smiths.

WillH

Radiohead, Coldplay, U2 all cause me to switch off/over the radio if they come on. Whiney, navel-gazing guff, the first two, and U2 are just dull. I think it was Enfield and Whitehouse who did a sketch about all their songs sounding the same about 20 years ago, and nothing’s changed.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Mumford and Sons.

sadexpunk

pretty much agree with most of the above but mainly the beatles and U2. in fact i dont just ‘not get’ the beatles, it actually annoys me when i see old footage of ringo tap tap tapping away at his drum kit, no passion in any guitar playing and all the lasses screaming their heads off.
    i just think anybody could play music to that standard so they just got lucky.
    now im thinking as im typing how unreasonable that sounds, what have i got against anyone getting lucky… i dunno, they just ANNOY me right? 😀

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The Edge can’t play, as witnessed in that film he did with Jack White and Jimmy Page. I loved the look on Jack Whites face when talking about meeting him, meh. Currently it’d be Mumford and Sons, the musical equivalent of a beige cardigan.

rascal
    Free Member

Funnily enough we had a very similar conversation in work yesterday.
    Elbow are undoubtedly very accomplished writers/musicians – GG is apparently ‘a poet’.
    My god though – there can’t be a more one-paced monotone band known to man.
    The more boring bods in the studio like Elbow…I rest my case 😉

The Flaming Lips.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Pink Floyd.
    Radiohead.
    The majority of radio 1’s playlist.

nickc

Love Radiohead.

Never been a huge fan of Oasis.

convert

The majority of radio 1’s playlist.

Are you over 25? If so, that is how it is meant to be and all is right with the world.

Kryton57

Kasabian, the Beatles, Elbow, that whole Indy pop thing.

isitafox
    Free Member

In for Mumford And Sons, interest in them seems to be some sort of weird desire to get on an inbred country bumpkin badwagon (and this is com,ing from someone who lives on a farm!)

convert

interest in them seems to be some sort of weird desire to get on an inbred country bumpkin badwagon

Assuming you have not listened to (why would you have) the last album? Very different – banjo free.

antigee

Lots of stuff that I didn’t get years ago I do get now but doesn’t mean I like it
    I just understand a bit better why other people did get it at the time

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Pink Floyd and Kasabian are great shouts!

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Oasis – bland Dad rock, the equivalent of having beige as your favourite colour
    Coldplay – music to wet the bed to
    U2 – boring, overrated w*nk
    Mumford – Coldplay with banjos
    1975 – like a really poor generic sounding 80’s band plucked from obscurity
    That Ezra bloke – sounds like he’s had a voice transplant, can’t sing, writes appalling songs

ads678

Coldplay, who pays to listen to that shit, God that must be a boring gig to go to!

Agree about u2 as well. Beatles were ‘different’ back then so I can see why they were big and they had catchy tunes, but never really get all the screaming that young girls do towards bands.

mikey74
    Free Member

Red Hot Chilli Peppers, after Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

Duffer
    Free Member

Agree with most of the above, with the exception of Pink Floyd and some of Radiohead. U2 are awful, as are Oasis.

A a general rule, i don’t like any band whose name begins with ‘The’. With the exception of The Offspring (and in reality i only like two of their albums).

Gunz
    Free Member

I’ve never quite got Muse.

rhid

I agree with Coldplay, the Beatles and the Chillies.

Its more confusing as I have friends who love each of them so I have given them all a good listen. I flat out do not get it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The last band I was conscious of not getting on with was Oasis.

That’s how old and square I am.

😉

the-muffin-man

The Pixies – tried listening to them but find it a load of shouty noise.

CaptJon
    Free Member

U2
    Stereophonics
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    Disclosure
    Foo Fighters

higgo
    Free Member

In defence of U2, their first few albums were pretty good when held against what was around at the time. But then the music dropped off rapidly while they simultaneously became massive. That’s what I don’t get about them.

Beatles – I hear the argument that much of the music I listen to today wouldn’t be around without them but if I lived the rest of my life without hearing another Beatles, Wings, Lennon, McCartney, Thomas the Tank Engine, Oasis song it wouldn’t worry me in the slightest.

Blur.

zinaru
    Free Member

can’t stand loads of bands beyond the many already mentioned that give me that weird ‘transferred embarrassment’ feeling.

toploader, mpeople, stereophonics all spring immediately to mind as really clear examples. comic sans in sound.

give me a lo-fi droney druggy mess anyday…

isto
    Free Member

Blur, Oasis, Suede, The Verve, Coldplay, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Stereophonics, Snow Patrol and U2 – except the drumbeat from Sunday Bloody Sunday as Dj Shadow wouldn’t have had an awesome sample to play with.

Radiohead, who admittedly are depressing as ****, are the only band I would even entertain the idea of going to see at an arena gig.

llama

Bowie.

jimjam
    Free Member

See mainstream music.

mudshark
    Free Member

The Chili’s are brilliant! Started with them back in the late 80s and loved how they’ve evolved – Scar Tissue is a fave.
    Also like some of the Beatles and think Ringo is a top drummer!

U2, Coldplay and Oasis are poor though, not bothered about The Smiths either

zippykona

Blondie.
    Absolute 70s bleat on how you won’t hear the same song twice.
    Doesn’t stop them playing the same 3 Blondie songs everyday.
    See also Abba.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Pink Floyd – I’ve tried to like them. I really have. They just leave me cold. I always come away with the impression that the only people who really like Pink Floyd are Pink Floyd and their accountants.Everyone else must be faking it.

AC/DC – Are the worlds most awesome rock band……..right up until the point where Brian Johnson opens his mouth. I can’t abide shouty singers.

The Smiths – self indulgent moany toss.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Bands that you just don't get.’ is closed to new replies.