Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Bands or Musicians that should call it quits
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Paramore and fall out boy are key offenders, and the jury’s out with Arctic Monkey’s wavey new album..

To be fair on them, having made a career out of writing songs about getting drunk on nights out in Sheffield hitting 30 getting married and having kids must ruin your muse.

Speaking of muse…….

geologist
    Free Member

Robby Williams, Cringeworthy beyond belief!

CountZero

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Amazing how they’ve managed to make one tune spread across several decades and God knows how many albums.

What could’ve Richards have done if he didn’t have the comfort blanket of another world tour, what would Jagger had achieved if he wasn’t having to practice  singing Paint It Black?

Well, apart from the fact Keef co-writes The Stones songs with Mick, and is otherwise a rhythm guitarist, what do you expect him to do? He’s released a number of solo albums, as has Mick, but as with The Beatles, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts; neither McCartney nor Lennon wrote anything that came close to what they achieved together, same with Jagger and Richards. Also, The Stones are a blues band at heart, and the blues are a pretty simple style of music, plus old blues guys basically die with their boots on, they don’t know what else to do other than write songs. Same with most creative types, that’s all they can do, when all’s said and done.

Some artists suddenly get a creative burst late in life, like Leonard Cohen did, fired in part by someone he trusted embezzling much of his earnings, forcing him to tour in his 70’s, which he suddenly found he enjoyed! Partly because all he had to do was sing, everything else was handled for him; I was fortunate enough to see him play Cardiff several years ago, and it was magical, a really wonderful evening, and everyone was clearly enjoying every moment on stage.

loughor
    Free Member

Sting !? .. If the Russians love their children .. Tool !!

DezB
    Free Member

😆 brilliant.. CZ doesn’t let me down!

mrmoofo

Hey, just don’t listen to the stuff you don’t like ….

BTW – I went to Tokyo last week, and sitting in front of me was John Lydon.  Well, the snarly, frightening staring weasel boy is now a big lad …

but still a huge influence on music ….

Sandwich

As mentioned above in passing Muse.

We tease ‘the lad’ that me and ‘the girl’ saw Muse when they were still good a V in Chelmsford.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Another vote for McCartney. And that reminds me from an article linking them) – Fanny **** Lennox. Sounds like a banshee getting it’s genitals shaved with a cheese grater.

donks
    Free Member

Neil Young….. he was a trailblazer in his day and put out some great stuff but he now just turns out songs for the sake of getting his save the planet views across and the result has been some bloody dreadful crap that would probably make me want to destroy the planet not save it.

And the shout about Perry Farrell is bang on… he was always weird but I thought he would just go on to live out his days somewhere nice and leave us with the lasting memory of some of the best alternative music from the 90,s but sadly no… he has well and truly disappointed me and probably everyone else with what ever it is he thinks he making now.

bikebouy
    Free Member

to any dance music fan this is far from abysmal and actually a hell of a groove.

Define “hell of a groove”

I’m a massive dance fan, there’s no groove I’d wiggle too.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Chaka Khans new tune going down well :

Mostly Jazz Funk & Soul Festival That was insane!! Easily one of our favourite ever gigs! And that new Chaka Khan tune kills it! Bless up everyone who danced. #vibes

Posted by The Allergies on Sunday, July 8, 2018

CountZero

brilliant.. CZ doesn’t let me down!

#rollseyes

I’m largely agreeing with you, and others! But the point made by others still stands, if someone wants to carry on writing and recording, who has the right to stop them? Not you, no matter what you might think.

Although there are some people who should never have been allowed to make a second single, let alone a career… The Liberteens spring to mind. And the Manics should have called it quits years ago.

Loving the stuff that Iggy has done recently with PINS and Underworld, though.

funkmasterp

Forgot about the RHCP. I think Frusciante leaving for the second time was the end of them. Some of his solo stuff is great.

I understand the posts saying “Bands should be allowed to carry on. Don’t listen to it if you don’t like it. Blah, blah, blah” just take off your serious, fun killer hat and join in. It’s not like this thread willl actually result in bands giving in is it? It was intended as a bit of fun and to highlight those bands or artists that have (in your opinion) turned to shit over the years. Lighten up STW 😀

Ooh…. Cypress Hilll. Starting from the point that they decided they were a rock band and not Hip Hop.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d like to add Jazzy B of Soul II Soul.

Went to Don Lett’s Bass Forward gig thing on the weekend and Jazzy B played a DJ set which consisted of ‘”Back to Life” (extended) (twice) and a load of (yes!) MASH UPS! (You know, mixing 2 songs together like what they used to about 15 years ago until, very quickly, the novelty wore off). It was terrible. Time to get a job on a building site or something Mr B.

nicko74

Weezer. They’re still touring and are apparently still putting out music.

Blue Album defined a summer; Pinkerton is excellent; the Green Album is good and after that it genuinely surprises me that they’re still producing albums

dannyh
    Free Member

McCartney, I’m afraid.

Dreadful, dated lyrical style and lyrics themselves over the kind of music you hear in hotel lifts.

Arctic Monkeys – disappeared up their own arse.

Paul Weller – always waiting for his latest reincarnation as either a hippie or a mod and never liking any of the songs that result as they are all shit.

Mind you, at least these are the ones that should stop now they are sullying their reputations with crap new stuff. There are plenty of acts and bands that should never have even started.

dannyh
    Free Member

Oddly, both McCartney and Weller both had fairly major (very major in Weller’s case) overhauls at the end of their first successful band. I like a lot of the Wings stuff and the Style Council I rate very highly. Maybe it was these initial successful reincarnations that convinced them it was a trick they could pull repeatedly(?)

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Bands or Musicians that should call it quits’ is closed to new replies.