Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Bands or Musicians that should call it quits
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

bikebouy

Any Beetle still alive. They were never any good, just in the right time right place.

😆 jebus!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Mr Woppit

I think all these responses are complete bullshit.

Any performer should keep going for as long as they want or can. Same as any other time… if you don’t like it, don’t listen.

I agree with this, Iong as they are happy, doesn’t affect my life!

funkmasterp

Let’s see you perform.

Just PM’d you a video of my naked interpretive dance. Feedback appreciated if you’ve not lost the power of speech and / or been struck blind.

nickc

There’s nothing more depressing or sad than a 70 year old man singing songs about the pomp of youth that were written 50 years beforehand by someone else, about a time that doesn’t exist anymore. The Rolling Stones should have stopped because they stopped innovating and being original at some point in the mid 70’s and have stood still ever since; more than happy to ride the crest of the success of a handful of songs ever since. </span>

That is pretty much the definition of a waste of talent. What could’ve Richards have done if he didn’t have the comfort blanket of another world tour, what would Jagger had achieved if he wasn’t having to practice  singing Paint It Black?

franksinatra

S Club 7 are now performing as S Club 3……

DezB
    Free Member

You fellas do know who’ll be along soon with a big lecture for us all, don’t you… *

Anyway, (I’ve had a lie down) I just remembered: James  – cos you were shite back then and you’re shite now.

Same goes for Shed 7 – another joke band people now take seriously!

(I have records by both of the above and they will never ever get played 😀 )

Image result for count dracula 😉

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Billy Joel. Obviously, it would have been better if he’d never actually started

I’ve no idea how he sounds now, probably not too good given his age(69), just like I vaguely recall Elton sounding pretty awful at Queen Liz’s party celebrations IIRC a few years back (2012?).

But over the years, Billy wrote some absolute classics, at least IMO. To randomly pick a few…

DezB
    Free Member

Billy Joel still exists? I thought he was just someone your mum liked in the 70s.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Holy hell there is a lot of gash spouted above.  Billy Joel not talented? Beatles right place right time?  Paul Weller rubbish live.  You may not love their music but lacking in writing, instrument, producing, performing talent?  Do me a favour.

McCartney is still arsed with making new music.  I dont love it, but I respect he still has the volition and the passion to do it.

Elton John and his farewell tour is exploitation in my book. Still an awesome musician.

PrinceJohn

jebus!

He never existed…

PrinceJohn

All the crap bands that do small local 80s vs 90s nights, like

Steps

5ive (even tho there’s about 2)

& Blue

Had the misfortune of seeing Blue last yeah, the tall ones interaction with the crowd was mostly telling unfunny stories about him getting wasted. What a dick.

DezB
    Free Member

paulneenan76

You may not love their music but lacking in writing, instrument, producing, performing talent?  Do me a favour.

Here, tip for ya: Read what the thread’s about, yeah?

Nico
    Free Member

The Stones

+1 – rebels without a clue.

And the new fast automatic daffodils should be put out to grass.

hols2
    Free Member

But over the years, Billy wrote some absolute classics

He was awful. Self indulgent shite. I would honestly prefer to listen to The Carpenters or Donny and Marie Osmond, at least nobody tried to pretend they should be taken seriously. Billy Joel sang lame vacuous drivel dressed up as profound social commentary. Worse than Roger Waters at his pretentious worst.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>DezB
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

paulneenan76

You may not love their music but lacking in writing, instrument, producing, performing talent?  Do me a favour.

Here, tip for ya: Read what the thread’s about, yeah?

Erm, yeah, thanks DezB, I read it.  Then read some of the tripe that followed and added some of my own tripe to it – your point being?

</div>

Coyote
    Free Member

Another vote for Queen. Queen without Freddie is a bit like Motorhead without Lemmy, just wrong.

I guess the real answer is if people want to see them, then play on.

DezB
    Free Member

your point being?

That the bit I quoted (well, actually pretty much your whole post) is nothing to do with what the thread’s about. Just that.

slowoldman

Billy Joel sang lame vacuous drivel dressed up as profound social commentary.

Oh I don’t know, I quite liked “Glass Houses”.

Worse than Roger Waters at his pretentious worst.

Oh I don’t know, I quite enjoyed “The Wall”.

tobsters
    Free Member

Red Hot Chili Peppers.  To my ears Blood Sugar Sex Magik is incredible, one of my favourite albums ever and still sounds fresh, but they’ve been on a gradual and disappointing decline into soft rock since, to the extent that it almost soils the older stuff that I love.

I think the issue for many bands stems from something one of the Gallagher brothers said about how easy it is when you’re young with fire in your belly, writing and singing about the things in your life, which you also have in comon with your fans, who are also young and going through the same things. This becomes exponentially harder the older you get and once you’ve made millions, as you lose what you have in common with your fans and are generally less pasionate about things that make great song lyrics.

newrobdob
    Free Member

They also need to stop rolling out Brian Wilson whenever the rest of the band need some cash

he has been ill for a very long time, probably made worse by too much medication keeping him below where he should be.

However watch the Smile live concert and watch how much better he has been recently – the joy and happiness he has got in that concert seems to have scrubbed 30 years off him – finally happy his magnum opus is finished. And wow what a thing to listen too. He still has a decent voice too, yes it’s changed but its still good.

But McCartney – errr I don’t like beatles stuff but respect whats he done – his voice has just disintegrated now hasn’t it?

paulneenan76
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>DezB
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

your point being?

That the bit I quoted (well, actually pretty much your whole post) is nothing to do with what the thread’s about. Just that.

</div>
    Sweet Jesus.  Fair enough, Dez.  I’ll chose: Elton John and Sean Paul as my choice of “Bands or Musicians that should call it quits”.

scud
    Free Member

i don’t think you can say because someone is old they shouldn’t continue, i saw Iggy Pop last saturday and at 71 he put all the other acts on the bill to shame, even some of his new stuff isn’t bad at all.

Jules Holland is often a showcase for acts that should of given up, usually them limping through a song croaking and out of puff, followed by Jules showing them a video from 30 years ago and going “look how good and young you were here…..”

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve another …

Placid Ally Mumblers…

sorry, the Manic Street Preachers.

I know, I know all about the bloke who went missing and took the talent along with him.

But Lordy, won’t you save me from the racket you make now.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Any performer should keep going for as long as they want or can. Same as any other time… if you don’t like it, don’t listen.

Let’s see you perform.

You is rong.

Every performer has a shelf life, some surely know when that prediction must end.

And I choose not to perform in front of an audience other than in a work environment. I neither seek nor require adulation from people I do not know.

edlong
    Free Member

Red Hot Chili Peppers. To my ears Blood Sugar Sex Magik is incredible, one of my favourite albums ever and still sounds fresh, but they’ve been on a gradual and disappointing decline into soft rock since, to the extent that it almost soils the older stuff that I love.

Seconded, with a quibble on the start of the decline – IMHO One Hot Minute was their last really interesting album and certainly couldn’t be categorised as heading towards soft rock, if anything it’s their hardest rocking album of all (the main criticism levelled at it was that the funk was missing).

I’d agree now that they’re beyond tedious, every song I’ve heard since seems to just be a variation on “heyyyyyy hoooooooo…. we’re from California”

DezB
    Free Member

Sweet Jesus.

Sorry, but you did ask 😆

Was gonna say Manic Street Preachers (debut is in my album display on the wall!) but their new album is supposed to be good. Not that I’ll listen to it despite having bought it for my mum for her upcoming birthday (she asked for it, and she is *whispers* 79)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Chaka Khan (spelling) recent new release is utterly abysmal.

what is abysmal appears to be your taste – to any dance music fan this is far from abysmal and actually a hell of a groove.

Paul McCartney, Rod Stewart and Elton John should be banned from performing though.

samunkim
    Free Member

Dont know if anyone else follows Róisín Murphy on Twitter but sounds like she’s had a gutfull of working for £0.56p

DezB
    Free Member

I used to like Moloko. Bought a few of their albums.

ransos
    Free Member

I thought the blues album the Stones did last year was pretty good, so they can stay. It’s a real shame that Macca’s voice has gone – I saw him about 15 years ago and he was still in good form then. The trouble with Morrissey is that reactionary old men are far less interesting than angry young men. Best to stick on The Queen is Dead and remember what he was.

MarkiMark
    Free Member

Ed Sheeran. Oviously.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Róisín Murphy

recent…

kelvin

Yup, agreed… make music ’till you die, if you want… no one is forced to listen. Lots of artists release surprisingly brilliant music late in their career… often after a long spell of so so releases.

edhornby

I dunno why people think the stones are anything worth seeing, there is effectively a whole band onstage playing the set to cover for the old geezers dwindling talents – Mick’s singing has so much autotune and processing applied it’s barely him, and Bernard Fowler sings half the set!

zippykona

We have some friends who are very wealthy ..

The only time I’ve ever been jealous of them was when they were on holiday in  Mustique and Mick Jagger did an impromptu acoustic set in Basil’s  Bar.

DezB
    Free Member

Róisín Murphy

recent

Oh yeah, I’ve got the LP on vinyl! Does that mean I’ve given her 56p?

redmex
    Free Member

Rodger Daltrey although i really like him im out

Pretty decent guy with his charity and loved a lot of the Who stuff he needs to retire

swavis

No mention of Ozzy yet?

enigmas
    Free Member

Every punk/indie band that I grew up to that then decided to go mainstream and now play generic chart pop.

Paramore and fall out boy are key offenders, and the jury’s out with Arctic Monkey’s wavey new album..

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Foo Fighters….loved Colour and Shape but now just droning tosh…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Bands or Musicians that should call it quits’ is closed to new replies.