• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ballpark figure – How much to replace a fence?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Storm Louise has shattered a couple of concrete fence posts. How much roughly to have 40ft of fence taken out and replaced? 6Ft high, concrete posts & wooden panels.

I’m not going to do it myself because :

a) I can’t be arsed
    b) See a)

timbur
    Free Member

This is STW, you won’t get a sensible price on here.

garage-dweller

I guess you’ll be looking at £20-25 a panel (7 of those for 40ft) plus cost of posts (about the same?). So c. £300-350 materials and one or two days labour. I’d guess at between £400 and £600 all in depending on where you are.

We had a fairly similar length replaced a few years ago and I THINK that’s about right for what we paid (might have had concrete gravel boards too – I can’t now remember as they’re hidden by a hedge).

Edit that assumes you need same number of panels and posts.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If I was pricing this work to a customer it’d be £864.

8 posts / 7 panels + post mix / fixings / plant + 2 guys for a shift + Overheads / profit

This is STW, you won’t get a sensible price on here.

Ya think?

Bunnyhop

Harry – I know you will roll your eyes at this, but have you considered planting a hedge?

bikebouy
    Free Member

£800

£200 for disposing the posts and panels in a hedge just off that lane at the bottom of the hill.

HTHs

Greybeard
    Free Member

Plus the cost of disposing of the old fence – a couple of hundred?

timbur
    Free Member

Perchy – I stand corrected. Someone doing it commercially that prices accordingly. Refreshing albeit be prepared to be shot down and told you’re ripping people off. I don’t know about you but I struggle with disposal of the posts. The woods easy enough albeit expensive as it’s treated.

singletrackmind

Depends on panel size and type and quality . I was looking at 100ft run and the price of the panels ranged from £20 – £55 depending . Then add posts , dunno £6 , £300 labour. 1 skilled bloke plus a jobber for a day. bit of postcrete and maybe breaker / Kango hire, SO between £550 and £750

Harry_the_Spider

Harry – I know you will roll your eyes at this, but have you considered planting a hedge?

Rolls eyes.

There isn’t room as it is between the houses, not the gardens.

£800 ish then?

olly2097
    Free Member

I did 10 panels and concrete pillars and gravel boards myself for £550.

I reversed into the neighbours concrete post opposite in a moment of madness. I kid you not it cost me £160 for a fencer to come dig it out and fit X1 new post. :-/

timbur
    Free Member

Thats about right for someone that knows what they’re doing. Phone your local fencing supply company and get a recommendation for a fencer. Mine (AVS in Lewes) has a pinboard of their regular customers/contractors.

scotroutes

40ft is a really small ballpark. Unless you meant ballPOOL?

perchypanther
    Free Member

40ft is a really small ballpark

Depends how big your balls are that you want to park there.

footflaps

I kid you not it cost me £160 for a fencer to come dig it out and fit X1 new post. :-/

Not that unreasonable considering that you’re unlikely to do much else that day, plus cost of coming out to quote etc.

mrsheen
    Free Member

£100 a panel after materials and hard graft including any necessary prep work as described already in this thread.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Most contractors quote £100 per panel installed. This will vary depending on the panel you spec.

Don’t forget gravel boards

DezB
    Free Member

£800 sounds about right. £100 a panel fitted!? Not down here it ain’t!

stevied
    Free Member

Just had a quote for 14 x 6×6 panels + a gate fully fitted for £1100

mechanicaldope

Harry_the_Spider

Subscriber

Rolls eyes.

There isn’t room as it is between the houses, not the gardens.

What about a nice web? Surely that’s something you can do yourself?

DezB
    Free Member

something you can do yourself?

DIY is for mugs who can’t afford to get a man in. (eg. me)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ballpark figure – How much to replace a fence?’ is closed to new replies.