Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Baliff at the door…..
  • BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

…looking for the previous home owner. Apparently he was in court earlier last month and gave our address even though we bought the place in December. The cheeky sod!

Anyway after establishing we owned the place and giving the baliff the details we had on the previous owner he said that it might cause us credit problems in future as the CCJ’s and bankrupcy proceedings were being registered against our address. Is this true and what can I do about it if it is?

conkerman
    Free Member

CAB and county court would be my first port of call.

Its not uncommon.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I had 2 right ugly lumps come to repossess stuff from the previous tenants, not longer after moving into a place. Despite the fact that I was a) not female and b) able to produce a passport proving my identity and c) able to show them the Tenancy Agreement showing the date of our moving in, they were still insistent that they were coming in to take stuff. They did try to forcibly enter the flat, until I grabbed a handy metal bar that ‘just happened to be by the door’, and told them to rethink things. Culminated in Babylonians turning up, and sorting things out. Scary.

The previous tenants had run up thousands of pounds of debt, on CCs, ‘phone, fuel bills etc. Had no end of grief with companies trying to claim their monies.

And apparently, our credit rating was fecked, as it affected the property, rather than the occupants. Stupid rule.

FallOutBoy
    Free Member

Yes, it can cause problems. Sadly, it is not that uncommon. Get advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau and check your credit history for anything unusual – It is illegal to store false information about you, so if anything is incorrect then report it.

carlnicholsony2k
    Free Member

It is possible to have all the previous credit information based at a specific address removed from your credit file, many companies charge to do this, but I’m sure a bit of digging and ringing around will have this solved without a fee.

I strongly reccomend you contact the Court at the earliest to inform them of this individuals actions, I get the impression Judges don’t like to be told porkies and deal with perpetrators appropriately!

Flaperon

Our student house in Leeds had bailiffs come a-calling a couple of times for the previous residents. Strongly recommend that if they come again and are even the slightest bit intimidating that you call the police immediately via 999.

aleigh
    Free Member

I’ve had all this because of a previous owner – we told them, where to go.
    I still get letters now for various people that lived here and they go in the bin! As far as I’m concerned if they can’t get their facts right they will be ignored.

So in answer to you question, these things may pose an issue to your credit rating but in all fairness I’ve never had a problem and I doubt you will too. In a previous job at work I would credit score people that may have had others CCJ’s etc effect their rating but this gets taken into account by underwriters.

JulianA
    Free Member

Not had that (yet) but we get regular letters from credit companies and debt collectors about previous occupants of our house. Always open the mail and call any debt collectors and tell them what’s going on – they will usually amend their records. Bit late for this one, I know, but it should stop future occurances, hopefully.

Reckon two previous occupants of our house owe about £25k to various people! (And I tell the companies that and wish them luck!)

freddyg
    Free Member

I still get letters now for various people that lived here and they go in the bin!

That’s not a good idea (according to MrsG (who used to work for the crown and county courts)). Best to return to sender marked “no longer at this address”. This is the one of the few ways the companies are able to up date their records. If they don’t get them back, they assume their letters are just being ignored.

aleigh
    Free Member

Well I’ve been doing it for a fair few years and nothings happened! The original debt collectors were told but they just pass the debt onto other stupid idiots so if they can’t be bothered to pass on key info such as ‘they don’t live at my address’ then I’m sorry but their letters go in the bin! And if they say anything I shall deny all knowledge of having ever received them!

Quite simple really.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

We used to get threatening letters(with my name on them) telling me that I owe money on 1. something we never purchased and 2. a company that is no longer trading. Mrs Curtis gets very worried and contacts the company. I, on the other hand ignore it in the secret hope that they send one of their goons around. I would batter the f*****! I am fed up with these companies operating on the fringes of the law.

aleigh
    Free Member

I, on the other hand ignore it in the secret hope that they send one of their goons around. I would batter the f*****! I am fed up with these companies operating on the fringes of the law.

I agree although I’m unlikely to batter them but would still love to give them a right mouthful!

uplink
    Free Member

I suspect some of the bailiff letters are somewhat speculative, i.e. send letters out to any address they can link to the debtor hoping that they can eliminate that address or find their man.
    I wouldn’t contact them if they sent me a letter, I’m not doing their detective work for them, let them come round if they’re so sure.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I would batter the f*****!

I’m not casting doubt upon your manhood, but have you seen the size of some of these ‘orrible lumps? Many are trained in kicking people to death, too. The two that tried to get heavy with me, were right nasty looking bastards. It was only the fact that I told them I would not go down without a fight, that made them back off. I have to say, I was really **** scared. Even the coppers that turned up were a bit alarmed at their physical presence.

Always best to ‘phone police. They know, that those trying to avoid paying stuff aren’t likely to ‘phone the rozzers, as they quite often have other dodgy things going on. They backed right off, when I got me ‘phone out.

project
    Free Member

Perhaps if muppets didnt buy plasma tvs and other stuff on credit, then they wouldnt default on the payments, and cost ALL of us money, and keep Bailiffs in work , oh and never let a bailiff in to your property as they then have WALKIN POSSESION OF ALL YOUR GOODS AND POSESIONS.

If threatened always ring the police 999, calls are recorded, and the court the next day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Baliff at the door…..’ is closed to new replies.