Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bad day at work…
  • thecaptain
    Free Member

If your name is Teresa May that sort of damage would be a good day

zilog6128

Whoops. Does the cannon on these things not have some kind of safety mechanism?!

legend
    Free Member

Does the cannon on these things not have some kind of safety mechanism?!

It should do, someone’ll get shot for this

rene59
    Free Member

a maintenance worker accidentally pulled the trigger of a Vulcan cannon

Accidentally my arse! Who wouldn’t be tempted to give it a go?

onewheelgood

At least they know the cannon works now.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Am i the only one with images of a “cleaner” sat in the cockpit making plane and machine gun noises whilst pretending to be in top gun then suddenly feeling very sheepish when he finds out it’s loaded?

P-Jay
    Free Member

A friend of mine said something similar happened at St. Athan about 20 years ago, single round shot from a supposedly unloaded aircraft or something. Interestingly they also found a set of steps in the tail section of another aircraft.

He works for Quantas now, so happy thoughts for anyone flying with them.

stevied
    Free Member

Uumm, an F-16 isn’t a Eurofighter..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Possibly not in the best taste after yesterday…

stevied
    Free Member

Oh shit, I’ll change it 😬

eddiebaby
    Free Member

It was funny, just a timing thing…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Correct…. But I think the article says it’s a Euro fighter jet, not a Eurofighter jet.

Daffy

It’s quite surprising that the port side missiles have survived.  The angle doesnt allow for a good look at the starboard wing.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Seems that they haven’t learnt from past accidents.

My old boss (ex RAF) said when they were in training they were all made to watch a film about a Vietnam incident where the aircraft were all arranged in a ring to make them easier to guard until one caught fire/launched a round…….

Huge number of aircraft lost.

legend
    Free Member

Seems that they haven’t learnt from past accidents.

Or maybe there was a fault. I would expect the gun to be isolated by a Safety Disarm Switch somewhere, and a Weight Off Wheels sensor. Being fired so (apparently) easily doesn’t seem right

v8ninety

Or maybe there was a fault. I would expect the gun to be isolated by a Safety Disarm Switch somewhere, and a Weight Off Wheels sensor.

Missing the point there. These are ridiculously complex machines, maintained by human beings. There’s always going to be a fault, or an error in the end. I suspect that the simple lesson alluded to would be to not routinely park your £35m highly focused weapon pointing at your other £35m toys.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Ming, google uss Forestal fire.

Rocket misfiring and setting off fueltanks on abother aircraft and fuel spilled all over.

Carrier was nearly lost and over 130 people killed.

legend
    Free Member

Missing the point there. These are ridiculously complex machines, maintained by human beings. There’s always going to be a fault, or an error in the end. I suspect that the simple lesson alluded to would be to not routinely park your £35m highly focused weapon pointing at your other £35m toys.

Given the range of the weapon and the potential for a very busy airfield, thats not always going to be an option. So the aircraft should be designed to fail to safety to ensure the gun simply cant fire

dove1

Correct…. But I think the article says it’s a Euro fighter jet, not a Eurofighter jet.

The article says it’s a 40 million euro fighter jet. i.e. a fighter jet that costs 40 million euros.

footflaps
    mogrim

Not a good week for fighter jets apparently:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a23792532/f-22s-damaged-destroyed-hurricane-michael/

And a good question at the end of it:

why was an Air Force base in the heart of America’s hurricane country so badly prepared for a big storm, especially protecting billions of dollars’ worth of fighter jets?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bad day at work…’ is closed to new replies.