Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Backcountry Navigator – educate me
  • thenorthwind

Having passed through the denial stage of grieving the death of Viewranger, it’s time to get back in the navigation partner market. Backcountry Navigator seems to have as many loyal followers as VR did, so seems a good place to start.

I’ve downloaded the free Demo app to try out. So far so good, but it’s pretty limited in what you can do without upgrading, which I fully intend to do if it looks a better option than say OS Maps.

I see there’s a “Pro” and “XE” version – can anyone give me a simple explanation of the difference?
    I can get OS maps in BCN right?

cyclelife
    Free Member

Just read that as Black Country Navigator 🤣

Thought it was a pub crawl guide!

pk13

I’ve got the pro version but I’ve never used the other on .
    Download sections of OS MAPS before you leave as it can be a bit data heavy 3g and up works ok.
    Way points save route ect it’s ok tbf but it’s all I’ve used so cannot say it’s worse or better

sofaman

I’ve had pro for nine years, mainly for offline map usage – current location on OS map and occasional distance measuring. Doesn’t do the fancy routing stuff (inc altitude) that VR provided. There are a lot of configuration options and the odd clunky user interface features – might be a bit marmite.

It isn’t clear whether it contravenes Bing’s licence for OS maps so I fully expect someday for downloading to break permanently.

For overseas stuff if BCN doesn’t have any decent map sources, I’ve used OsmAnd with reasonable success (and it also has car satnav features, POI etc.)

markgraylish
    Free Member

“Pro” is the original version and only available on Android and uses bitmaps (pictures!) for the map images (the “traditional” way) so will need lots of space for offline map storage.

“XE” is a new version which can be used on Android and iOS and uses vector maps (smaller downloads, handles zooming in/out better). XE is still work in progress and does not yet include much of the functionality of the Pro version.

I can’t answer the question about long term use of OS maps but I can’t imagine any previously downloaded bitmaps will suddenly “disappear” if Bing or OS pull the plug.

Pricing of the Pro version is all over the place because there’s tons of US specific you can buy as add-ons.

I think I paid around $10 CAD about 6 years ago and haven’t needed any of the (paid) add-ons…

markgraylish
    Free Member

As pointed out, BCN does NOT do routing per se but you can follow a previously downloaded GPX (or KML) file on screen and can “project” to waypoints.

It’s very good for managing multiple GPX files – I use it when out walking the dog and find all sorts of interesting un-mapped trails but that does mean that my maps get swamped with “unofficial” trails – so I find it really useful to show/hide individual trails or waypoints and/or colour code or rename them differently.

It also allows you to have multiple maps sources fo the same area and it’s easy to switch (e.g. from Open Cycle Maps to Ordnance Survey) so if details aren’t shown on one just flip to the other source temporarily when needed

MadBillMcMad

I use OSM when abroad.

It isn’t much more than an electronic map, but imo a bargain at that.

Someone was asking elsewhere about mapping when in the stans. For that there is this version with Russian military. Very useful and a similar app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atlogis.sovietmaps

thenorthwind

Thanks for the replies.

Handling multiple tracks and routes, GPX import and export, is definitely a good thing, VR was very good at that. Not keen on the possibility that OS maps might just stop working one day.

Took the demo version out for a spin on a road ride today where I knew where I was going anyway. Forgot to download maps before I went, but no big deal, 4g for most of the route. Got home and my phone was off. Switched it back on and it still had 50% battery. Track had stopped recording at 42 miles, of a ~60 mile route. Could be unrelated to BCN but doesn’t bode well. Phone has never switched itself off before. Don’t think it was the battery getting cold.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Backcountry Navigator – educate me’ is closed to new replies.