Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Back to School.
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

Not the dustbin lids !!

You or me ?

I have been thinking about doing something in the evening, rather than watching rubbish box sets.

But what ?

It would need to be web based as, due to work, I’m unable to commit to a certain night of the week, every week.

A maths GCSE ? Our daughter is just about to start senior school and it might be helpful to know what she’ll be learning ? (I got an A back in the day at GCSE, reckon I’d have to work hard to get that again)

Or an Open Uni history degree ? …. I seem to be enjoying history more as I grow older and didn’t take history in school.

What have you done? Any tips or advice ?

I’m inclined on the GCSE or similar first, to see how I get on … before committing to Open U ??

molgrips
    Free Member

You could try watching telly with my wife. You’ll learn much more about literary criticism than from A-Level English…

Garry_Lager

Be interesting to do a maths A level, just to measure the cognitive decline over the decades. Found it plain sailing at the time, but could barely tell you what a matrix is now.

OU is a big financial commitment for a hobby degree AFAIK – I think you’d need to be extremely motivated as that sort of distance learning needs a lot of self-discipline.

funkmasterp

I have been thinking about doing something in the evening, rather than watching rubbish box sets.

Watch good boxsets instead?

As others have said I’d start with something simple just to see if you actually enjoy studying still. Doing maths to help out your child sounds like a great plan.

Northwind

OU is fantastic- put it this way, I work in university recruitment, my old boss had the option of doing a (4th!) degree for free with the uni we work for and instead paid for OU. But it is a commitment of money and time… And it’s a commitment that an awful lot of people don’t keep up.

You could check out MOOCs, Futurelearn and the like, too.

onehundredthidiot

Futurelearn is great. I did a short course on the psychology of learning. It was fascinating.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I did a couple of work courses that involved revision and basic exams last month, **** that for a game of soldiers. I could not believe how much harder it was to digest information to then recount during the exam phase. It could be all the stella I’ve drank…

pondo

I’m thinking of doing something through the OU – do I understand the part-time student loan bit correct, it’s repaid out of salary over 25k at what seems like a really low rate for years and years?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Cheers Guys

Had a look on futurelearn …. wow …. almost too much choice on there !!

I’m going to have to make a relatively quick decision and get into it. Otherwise, I’ll know what will happen, I lose the initiative.

dantsw13

This winter I am doing a cricket level 2 coaching course, and a RYA Day Skipper Theory and Practical.

One for me and one to help out 👍

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Edx is good. Partly because for the most part they find pretty good lecturers. Its pretty easy to forget you are learning something when you watch the videos.

poah
    Free Member

OU is a big financial commitment for a hobby degree AFAIK

Guy on my PGDE course did a maths degree with the OU. Far from a hobby degree.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

my evenings consist of playstation 4 , drawing, making weird electronic music and grubby sessions in the fetid sex pond

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Back to School.’ is closed to new replies.