Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Back pack / camel backs – I need something better than my mule
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

Just back from an few hours riding and I’m a bit miffed at how stupidly small my Mule is. I brought it in the states last year as it was cheap. I’d got one already that was ancient and knackered.

But – the old one held. Two tubes. Pump. Repair kit. Mini tool. Water proof. First aid kit. Space blanket. Food, phone, keys etc.

The new one is a squeeze with a tube and a pump.

It’s kind of got an expanding pouch on the outside but you can’t close it, so it’s pretty useless

Any recommendations?

I like to carry allof the above (boy scout) and 3l water.

Oh – and reputable brands only please. I don’t want to queue up with the prolies in Aldi or Lidl.

singletracksurfer

you want yourself a wingnut. great bags.
    hyper 3 sounds about right for what you need.

_tom_
    Free Member

The next biggest one up from the Dakine Nomad should be fine. I could fit all that in my nomad other than the blanket.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Osprey Raptor. Awesome bags.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

You can get an Osprey pack if you subscribe to What Mountain Bike magazine for 6 months (~£20).

toys19
    Free Member

I have a wingnut, really really like it.

dan1980
    Free Member

Assuming your newer bag is a camlebak mule, the question that should be asked is how big are your inner tubes and pump! 🙂

THe mule from a few years ago

and the recent update

I don’t have any problems getting the stuff you list into my 2008 vintage mule, and it’s not exactly bursting at the seams and I believe the more recent version is actually larger.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from a mule to an osprey raptor 14. Considerably more space, miles better bladder and more comfy. Well thought out bit of kit. Cyclesurgery had them on sale at £50.99 recently, I got Evans to price match as my local store didn’t have any stock. My only moan is that the tube attaches the opposite side and as a result had a starring role in my go pro movie.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hmmmm

Maybe the old one wasn’t a mule as it had more pockets than the picture and had an expansion zip.

The new one is like the photo and just seems tiny in comparison.

StuE
    Free Member

Another vote for the Wingnut,really like being able to get at stuff without taking the bag off
    http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Hyper-3.0-colour-option-of-all-black-or-red-black.html

highclimber
    Free Member

Osprey Talon 22. Thread closed.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

You sure you have a mule?
    I fit 2 tubes, multitool, first aid kit and a couple of litres of water in mine with room to spare for a waterproof/extra layer if needed.
    Plus, mine is the NV model with the removable back insert thing that takes up space.

breakright
    Free Member

Is it really a MULE? I am about to buy a MULE NV as I need a 3L for longer rides and I want more space than my (ancient) Lobo has for longer winter rides. I looked at the MULE and it seemed to have tons of space. More than enough for the kit you mention. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Might head to Evans with all my stuff and try and fit it in the bag before I buy!

Might check out these Ospreys too….

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have a 2008 Mule and also find it too small for longer rides and all the kit I want to carry. The main problem is accessing the main carrying load space to fill when there is a full three litre bladder in it and tools and spares in the outer pocket.
    I must say though that the build quality and durability of the Mule is second to none.
    I have had a look at the Osprey packs but that material seems very very flimsy and no where near as crashable as the Mule.
    My next pack at the moment will either be a Deuter (had one previosly and still have it for the wife to use) or more likely if I can find one at the right price a Camelbak HAWG despite the lack of pockets in it to separate out tools etc.

timmys
    popartpoem
    Free Member

I replaced my MULE with a H.A.W.G. … Holds A lot of Water and Gear 😀

crikey
    Free Member

Are you going on holiday or riding a bike?

mushrooms
    Free Member

I also replaced a mule with a hawg, much better and can be used as proper rucksack.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had a MULE, got a HAWG, never used the MULE since….

Candodavid
    Free Member

Had a mule, mates were using Dakine bags, had a good look and got a Nomad 2 years ago.
    Can take everything for a proper big day out and armour will strap to bottom.

Wouldn’t go back to a camelback.

Sawyer
    Free Member

I have one of them, in brown.

Have to say that with 3L of water in the bladder the middle pocket is pretty useless, and I’m limited to the outside pocket only.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Katie gets tools, waterproof, pump, shock pump food and a bit of clothing (armwarmers/windvest) along with 3L of water in a current MULE with body armour strapped to the outside when needed.

A lot does depends on the size of your waterpoof – hers is pretty small.

iainc

I have one of those new mules. 3L water in bladder, then in middle pocket – 2 tubes, shock pump, pump, camera, leatherman, insulating tape, zip ties, wallet, phone and keys. Outer pocket – multitool, chain tool, tyre levers, 2 energy bars, wet wipes. still space in the expainding pocket for a waterproof and at a push, knee pads.

loadsa space. If I am doing a big day in the hills and want proper food and some extra layers I have a Hoss, but rarely use it.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

The new Mule is great – miles ahead of my old Lobo. It has a separate zipped pocket next to your back for the bladder (new one with quick release hose and a baffle to stop sloshing and keep it flat) leaving a main compartment with compression straps, ‘bucket’ storage in the middle, smaller back pocket and top phone/camera pocket.

Easily enough for soft shell and thin waterproof in the main pocket, tools, snacks, keys, pump, tubes and more in the outer pocket, phone in top and can still get pads or lid in the ‘bucket’ – but compression straps pull it down nice and flat when not loaded.

Jamie
    Free Member

*skip to the end*

Dakine Nomad.

rudedog
    Free Member

Another vote for the Osprey Raptor – I’ve got the 18L version and its a brilliant bit of kit. The compression straps allow it to pack right down when you don’t need the full space. The back is fairly rigid too so it should offer a bit of spine protection.

Snow and rock have the 14L version for £50 – great value.

http://search.snowandrock.com/sport/Osprey%20Raptor%2014

monkeychild
    Free Member

Quechua trail 27 from decathlon is the comfiest pack I have ever used!!! It’s only £29.99 too!!

xraymtb
    Free Member

Definitely look at Osprey. I have the Manta 25 as I carry an SLR often but the build and bladder are exceptional.

kayak23

+1 dakine nomad…..

BMC09
    Free Member

Dakine Nomad best trail bag, but if that isn’t big enough, then the Dakine Apex (@26L) is easily big enough.
    both sit comfortably, and much more stable than any camelbak i’ve ever owned.

andyl
    Free Member

Carry less? Spread your stuff around?

One thing I found was you need to pack it when the bladder is full and bag laying down to get the most stuff in. You can also attach tubes to the side straps if really stuck.

tbh though it sounds like you need a bigger one.

The new bladders are supposed to be much better and personally I stick with camelbaks as I know they last but I might look at a Dakine next time.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Dakine Apex for me. Loads of gear and water. The resovior is seriously poor compared to the new camelbak ones though. I’d buy a Dakine, (Apex or Nomad), and put a new camelbak resovoir in it. The zips on the Dakine have started getting a bit worn for me now (2yrs) but still working OK. Everything else is perfect.

Long Term Review of Dakine Apex

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Berghaus freeflow, fits everything, 5 cm between your back so never sweaty and fits all and ALS acts as a bit of back protection due to the rigid structure (plastic grid thingy) but maybe that’s overestimating what it was designed for 😮

genghispod
    Free Member

Deuter Cross Air EXP recommended by lbs staff I trust. Good call; weight on hips, no sweaty back, loads of room. Thanks Vince.

Pieface

I went from a HAWG to a MULE. Rarely filled the HAWG and the MULE is only full on big rides.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Went from mule to wingnut hyper 3. Sooo much more comfortable for both lots and little amounts of gear.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Back pack / camel backs – I need something better than my mule’ is closed to new replies.