Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Back Into Night Riding – Are my lights feeble?
  • topangarider
    Free Member

So, I’ve not done any proper night riding since about 2012. I was/am using a pair of Ay-Up’s on the bars (the road set, can’t recall the type of reflector – middle one I think) and a Fenix L2D on the lid. Always worked a treat and was happy with that set up at SITS and Bonty 24/12 etc.

I’ve since bought a Exposure Sirius Mk6 for the road bike and been mightily impressed with the quality and reliability of the light.

Out tonight for the first time in ages and expecting to be ‘outshone’ by newer lights.

So, depending on what happens, what should I get as a new brighter light ( suspect the battery on the Ay-Up is on it’s way out) but to make the most of what I have? I’m thinking something like a Exposure Toro then put the Sirius on my helmet. Would that combo be any good? I’m a bit fed up of trying to mount the Fenix on my lid (Poc Tectal).

How much will I be outshone?

Thoughts?

chakaping
    Free Member

I got the Toro last year, it’s very good and I was so impressed I later got a Diablo for my helmet as well.

The Maxx D seems more popular but the Toro is lighter, cheaper and provides plenty of light – with more than adequate running time for a 2-3hr night ride, toggling the power down for climbs & slow bits.

40mpg

Lumicycle for bars – that new one is awesome and stupid good value. Or one of the exposure ones.

Then a joystick for your lid.

I’ve used this setup for years, reliability is so good they last 6-7 years and keep up with competition in brightness.

I had a couple.of brief dalliances with cheaper / Chinese lights but got caught out with failures in the middle of nowhere.

Edit – if you ride with the same bunch regarly make sure you match their light output or forever ride in shadows!

escrs
    Free Member

Ive got a Exposure Six Pack on the bars and a Exposure Diablo on my helmet

Excellent lights, cant fault them apart from the Diablo could do with a longer run time (only lasts 90 mins on the highest setting)

RicB

Exposure are superb. I love my MaxxD.

Theyre a bit on the pricey side though; Gloworm are a bit cheaper and very good. My X2 is 4 years old and still working fine despite quite a few crashes. Did use it on the bars but now it’s a helmet light.

adventureracer
    Free Member

I had the AyUps as well from 2009, started riding at night again this week, I lost the handlebar light but have the Ayup helmet  light.

First ride last night and a big mistake with no handlebar light, The helmet light is still good and light as a feather. I just ordered the Exposure Maxx D MK 11 from Evans, been keeping an eye of prices. They just price matched to £308 plus a 10% off using Bright10. £278 in total which is cheaper than used ones on ebay.

got next day delivery so I can get back out tomorrow

benp1

Apart from smashing down something steep and technical at big speed, do you guys REALLY need all the light?

I often run my lights on low unless the speed picks up, I like the feeling of riding in the night (plus i’m a mincer)

madhouse

I do loads of night riding (not talking about a meander along the towpath either) so have got Lumicycle for the bars, but my lid light is a £20 cheapie from Amazon (battery goes in my pack).

I’ve had Lumicycle bar lights for years and find them to be very good, as the battery connections haven’t changed it’s meant I’ve upgraded in stages since those first halogens and am now rocking their LED units which are awesome. That said I can’t fault my cheap helmet light, the battery went a couple of years back but I got an equally cheap 6-cell replacement so I’ve even less chance of it running out of juice – not that it did beforehand.

Mates have got Exposure Six-Packs and are more than happy with them and the fact they are self-contained so no cable faffage. They have a mix of the cheapie helmet light and exposure joysticks up top.

There must be other more budget bar lights about though and I’m sure a few will get mentioned.

That said, when I think about what we used back when we started night riding I can’t believe we’re all still here!! Mind you we do go a LOT faster now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Back Into Night Riding – Are my lights feeble?’ is closed to new replies.