Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Back Injury – was the cold weather a factor?
  • Jase
    Free Member

Cranking up a hill yesterday on a SS in -3 temperature and my back went.

I’ve had this before but not whilst cycling (usually when drying myself after taking a shower!).

Is really uncomftable today and having trouble putting socks on etc.

I accept that I’ll be prone to back problems for ever now but does anyone think the cold weather contributed to the injury or is it time to hang up the mud tyres and stick to the road?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cold may have contributed but I doubt it. Usually this sort of injury is caused by repeated strain over periods of time and then at some point it “goes” – but its not the actual incident that caused it, that incident is just the trigger,

I would be looking to your riding position and riding style. Try some gears so you can sit and spin rather than “cranking up a hill”

Jase
    Free Member

I thought that getting gears would be the suggestion but really enjoy the SS and just about to buy a new frame!

nick1c
    Free Member

Unlikely to be the cold. Inadequate core stability is a more probable culprit – you should be able to keep your low back stable whilst you pedal, obviously harder on a ss due to higher loads…….and is your saddle the right height, too high will cause rocking which could trash your back as well. I would try a swiss ball and book on how to use it.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’d say the cold probably contributed if you hadn’t warmed up properly, also Inadequate core stability is often a major cause to back issues.

Jase
    Free Member

Yeah I defo don’t do enough core work so think I should focus on this once I feel better.

Anyone got any views on if it would be ok to get on the bike (road work) before I feel fully recovered?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If your spine temperature is below nominal you are dead 🙁

oldgit
    Free Member

You’ve had a good year so I doubt it’s core fitness, could it be anything to do with the New Years day TT.

I’m desperate to do the Harp Hilly 100 in a few weeks time, and fingers crossed my back will have mended by then.

If all else fails Boots do a good range of walking sticks.

Goz
    Free Member

THE Harp Hilly, cor that brings back memories of old times, rode it in the snow in 79….on fixed!

thomthumb
    Free Member

when it’s better do some pilates. It fixes back, trims waistlines and saves baby seals! 😀

Shandy
    Free Member

I had a bad back for a couple of years and tried all sorts of shortcuts and excuses. Once I faced up to it and did plenty of core work and stretching the problems went away. In my experience you will come back quicker if you get back on the bike as soon as you can, just spin a nice high gear, keep it warm, and stretch it out afterwards.

If you do a couple of sessions of squats and lunges concentrating on your posture (or getting someone to give you pointers) you will learn to put the power down through your legs without straining your back as much. If you enjoy this, cleans and snatches will develop the muscles needed to pull with the arms whilst driving with the legs.

Jase
    Free Member

Cheers for all the comments.

Jason

Jase
    Free Member

Oh, and why does Ralgex smell so foul!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Back Injury – was the cold weather a factor?’ is closed to new replies.