Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Axes and planes…?
  • mulacs

Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Looking to get a new axe (all these ‘what axe’ threads have given me a lusting!), and as I’m going to Poland for xmas, I was hoping to get one there, as they are half the price.
    Can I happily bring this back on the plane, in my checked in/hold baggage? Have quizzed the BA site and no mention so assume it’s ok, but…

Any ideas? Cheers all! 🙂
    PS if anyone wants a Fiskars X27 for £50ish, let me know!! 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m thinking notabloodychance.

druidh
    Free Member
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Many years ago, I was going climbing in the Alps with my Dad. We tried to take our ice axes as hand luggage – and even got as far as the door of the plane. Amazing!!

Not a chance in HL now obviously.

CountZero

If its in the checked hold luggage then I can’t see why not. Axes aren’t illegal to own, after all.

druidh
    Free Member

mulacs – Member
    Can I happily bring this back on the plane, in my checked in/hold baggage?

Are folk misreading that bit?

Mr_C
    Free Member

Am I the only one who thought this was gonna be a another maths/physics thread.

I think I’m turning into a geek.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh sorry…I assumed it was you take on the plane with you. 😳

If checked in, then should be fine.

Northwind

Might work out easier just to post it. What I found with BA when carrying a questionable item was that they said “Hmm, maybe- it’ll be up to the airport and the ground crew and the check-in manager” but wouldn’t give me a yes or no (that was a replica old-west revolver, incidentally). Basically just washed their hands of it completely.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Checked in, on BA, you’ll be fine.

mulacs

thanks for the replies! Yeah sorry, I’m intending to put it in the suitcase, and then in the hold. Would be quite amusing to try and get a 36″ shaft log splitter to the gate…
    As for posting things from Poland, humm well… nah! The communists didn’t leave Poland, they just took over the postal service. True fact…

bruneep

not this combo then

chrssmale
    Free Member

I’ve had no problems with my geology hammer.
    Sometimes I’m asked to take it out for a check, but thats about it. Looks cool on the xrays too 🙂

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I thought it was a guitar thread.

manton69

Never had a problem taking out and bringing back a small hand axe, or even a small forest axe in the hold luggage. We often go camping in some very remote places so we have a full set of gear which includes some other very sharp implements as well as the axe.

Eyepic
    Free Member

X27 is that what you are getting or your old one you are selling (Warning….danger of sad axe conversation).

nickf
    Free Member

Mulacs, just got my X27 from Germany. €58 + €15 postage, so about £65. Cheaper than going to Poland though.

It’s completely excellent, by the way.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

checked in ice climbing axes pretty much every year for the last 15 without issue, hold luggage. they are essentially the same thing.

vorlich
    Free Member

I brought a 2″ machete back from Jamaica once.

Pre 9/11 admittedly…

d45yth
    Free Member

A 2″ machete? What type of action figure did it belong too? 😛

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Can’t see the fuss

I’ve flown with guns and live ammo before without a problem – its not like you’re asking to take it as carry on 😀

(To be fair, there was another time when I forgot I had live ammo in my baggage and didn’t declare if pre flight…. oh, and another time when I forgot I had a knife in my hand baggage… but in my defence I was a professional deerstalker, they were both before 11/9, and If it happened now I’d probably be in cuba in an orange boiler suit)

vorlich
    Free Member

A 2″ machete? What type of action figure did it belong too?

oh bollocks 😳

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Axes and planes…?’ is closed to new replies.