• This topic has 113 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by PhilO.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Awesome toys of your childhood
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had all the Lego. Space and Technic mostly

We’ve found spoilt kid!

kennyp
    Free Member

The song “All I Want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit” pretty much sums up my two favourite childhood toys. And some 45 years later I still have them.

andy5390

Raving Bonkers – the boxing robots

Airfix models – Spitfires, Hurricanes, Stukas etc. All hung from my bedroom ceiling with thread/drawing pins to replicate a dog fight 😄

Bright orange Mk1 Raleigh Chopper – the one with wider bars and a T-bar shifter

fazzini

Hornby train set
    Playmobil
    Toy cars – my grandma had an old bag with loads of really old ones missing wheels/tyres etc – I loved that bag of cars
    Action Man – eagle eye and scuba diving one were my personal faves.

Must confess I probably spent as much time just kicking a ball against the house wall as anything else, or playing cricket on my own in the back lane – I tell you that wall opposite was quicker than Malcom Marshall.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, a new football was just the best, loved it!.

tthew

There’s lots up here that bring back great memories for me. Honourable mention to the OP for Rough Riders, I think I’d still enjoy them grinding over improbable obstacles, and Astrowars as my dad still has ours, in it’s box which will undoubtedly get rolled out again this Christmas.

Here’s one that’s not been mentioned yet. Tonka Clutch Poppers. Absolutely the fastest and most skirting board damaging toy cars that were ever built!

hooli

Bikes and radio control cars for me, in fact it seems I haven’t changed very much in the last 45 years 🙂

jimw
    Free Member

Lego, most of it bought second hand in the mid 1960’s pre all the ‘special’ kits to make cars etc. so just the blocks of various sizes. Many, many hours over the years between about4 and 10 working on projects. Absolutely fantastic for developing spacial awareness and basic concepts of construction. After that it was working on ‘making’ projects with my dad in his workshop, skills I still use every day. Not all the projects were successful -see boomerang thread

Bullet

I had a Johnny 7 gun, nearly as big as I was and loved it. Moved on to Airfix kits and then found you could tie string to a wing, set fire to it and whirl it round you head. Dodging molten plastic was all part of the fun 😉

Moved onto Scalextric and slot car racing after that.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

This was ace. I want another!

http://www.theoldrobots.com/images25/Arm8.JPG

desperatebicycle

Me and my brother loved our Action Men (pre-eagle eyes or moving hands nonsense): “Mike” and “Steve”.
    I seem to remember our Gran made clothes for them. I definitely dressed Mike in purple cords and and puffy sleeved silk shirt. Thinking back, I doubt Mike appreciated it.

dudeofdoom

Matchbox Steer n Go

I had one of those !!!

I had a big micronauts play kit which was ace.

Not forgetting the Star Wars figures,had the cardboard Death Star.

Was great being a spoiled single child in the 70/80’s

harthill
    Free Member

Subbuteo! Huge box (when you’re little) to carry into primary school before Christmas when we were allowed to bring games in.

johndoh
    Free Member

There has been much talk of Action Man (myself included) but who had this bad boy?

TiRed

Bikes
    Lego
    Train set
    Scalextric
    Flight Deck

tonyd

Spoilt Kid™ round the corner had the “Rocket Cycle” version which was even shitter.

I had a rocket cycle. We used to have loads of fun winding it up as fast as you can, then holding it up so the wheel rubbed your ear. Great fun that is until my ear got caught in the cog and stopped the wheel dead. Much blood and screaming!

Also had Action Man, we had a rockery in the garden don’t you know, which was excellent for bases and driving Action Mans tank over. Had 6 million dollar man too!

Bike of course, but it was really just a means of transport to get us to the woods for climbing/falling out of trees, the beach for falling off of cliffs and throwing jelly fish at each other, or the arcades for kicking the tuppeny shovers and running off with the proceeds.

jeffl

I had one of those Tonka Clutch Poppers, loved it. Used to see just how quickly I could get the flywheel spinning.

Mostly Lego for me and I loved the He-Man sets. Had the slime one which was great but sourcing slime in pre-internet days was always a problem.

Had a mate who had all of the A-Team set and another that had all of the Star Wars sets, Millennium Flacon AT-AT. AT-ST etc. Both only children.

nickc

No love for Top Trumps?

Every year in the stocking at the end of your bed to stop you from waking the house at 6.00 am, along with those “Observer book of….” that everyone seemed to get at Xmas.

Also the advent of Lego figures (I got a spaceman set with a couple of figures in it) were a turning point for me in Lego building

Harry_the_Spider

Pocketeers anyone?

This was my favourite.

Clicky

kayla1
    Free Member

Roller boots, exactly like these-

johndoh
    Free Member

^^ That reminds me….

I also upgraded mine with Avon wheels (or was it Ulon made by a company called Avon)? and wider trucks.

Pieface

I remember asking Santa in his Grotto in Birmingham for a Big Track, sadly it never materialised 🙁

johndoh
    Free Member

^ I remember the ad for the Big Trak – it had a trailer with it too and the kid ‘delivers’ something to his lazy dad. Was it a beer?

spooky211
    Free Member

Lego, scale models, RC car are the standouts for me. Who remember Super Cup football and Torpedo Run? Thought they were amazing at the time, probably pants nowadays though!

richardoftod

Before the days of Health and Safety…

tonyd

Big Trak! My mate had one, with the trailer, and lived in a bungalow. We would literally spend hours going from his bedroom to the kitchen to the lounge – 4 forward, turn right, 2 forward, turn left, … and on. Sometimes the batteries would run out before it got past the bathroom.

Kuco

My old man regretted it as the sound of it used to drive him nuts.

Also my Train set.

owenh

Bikes (obviously), starting with a Raleigh Commando
    Preferred Meccano to Lego
    A RC model boat kit based on a Thames Police launch that I kept pushing my luck with battery life and had to wait for it to be blown to the edge of the pond to retrieve.
    Pogo stick found during a trip to the local tip when you were allowed to wander around.

Klunk
    Free Member

got one of these when I was 13, it a blast when it ran getting it started was a total ball ache. (got a build yer own balsa aerobatic model the following year with a fox motor which was so loud!!!)

Northwind

@10 I just found a box of Starcom stuff in the attic, only little ones but most of the clockwork or whatever it was still works. Oddball toys but pretty awesome.

Used to have a lot of action force and action man but it was definitely the lego that got the most use. And it’s now been 16 hours since I last built a lego model so apparently it still is

longdog
    Free Member

Best of allow time for me; a Raleigh Grifter one year, and a Big Trak another.

Haha! Just seen the big Trak above. As a trainee primary teacher I was over the moon to find one in my classroom!

I just found a box of Starcom stuff in the attic, only little ones but most of the clockwork or whatever it was still works. Oddball toys but pretty awesome.

I think my mum still has some of it somewhere. I had loads of it. The figures had some tiny little visors that I was meticulous in keeping. My brother’s just destroyed their toys, but I always kept mine nice.

dudeofdoom

There has been much talk of Action Man (myself included) but who had this bad boy

Me..me .me, I had the repair centre and the Android bloke with the faces and head and arms which popped off,also had the bionic women as well…

dudeofdoom

Course my most awesome was the ZX Spectrum 🙂

olddog

Armies of toy soldiers – WW2. Me and my friends developed extensive rules for turned based combat and battles raged in the killing Fields of the flower beds.

Any sort of gun for playing war. Especially cap guns – especially those with the really loud plastic ring caps none of your paper rubbish

Northwind

Spectrum is disqualified- not a toy, it’s educational. Tell your parents

SaxonRider

It took asking three Christmases in a row before Father Christmas finally relented.

singletrackmind

Well done Big Track
    I vaguely remember we had the same advert but not voiced by a yank.
    And it delivered a French golden delicious apple.

doomanic

Lego Space and Action Man when I was little. The Lego is still at my parent’s place for the grandkids and eventually great grandkids. Then 1/35th scale modelling, mostly Tamiya WW2 era German armour. I got a Grifter when I was 10, I think it weighed more than my Rail!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Awesome toys of your childhood’ is closed to new replies.