• This topic has 113 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by PhilO.
Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Awesome toys of your childhood
  • Premier Icon TiRed

There has been much talk of Action Man (myself included) but who had this bad boy

Banned in my household. Surname… Father’s first name…

Action man was miles better, and Sindy used to go into battle with him in our house, we were a generation ahead of the country!

Premier Icon haloric
    Free Member

Am I too old to play ?

Tric Trak

Premier Icon tenfoot

@johndoh. I had a Six Million Dollar Man. Used to love looking through his bionic eye, and peeling back his latex arm.

My brother had Maskatron, which was supposedly Steve Austin’s nemesis.

One of my favourite toys was Stock Car Smash Up. This consisted of two cars which you would position opposite, pull a plastic strip to launch them at each other, and then watch all of the body panels shoot off. I was always staging car crashes with my toy cars, so this greatly appealed.

Premier Icon tjagain

Lego and scalextric of course and bikes – but we also had a victorian dolls house that had a family of trolls living in and on it.  I still have them

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5s5G5B]Trolls[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

Premier Icon razorrazoo

This time of year I’d know the Argos catalogue front to back, my brother and I got hours of fun out of the following:

Crossbows and Catapults – we had a relatively long landing which provided an excellent battleground.

Test Match – smashing the ball bearing cricket ball into the skirting boards

Supercup Football – sort of an electronic version of subbuteo

Premier Icon mrdobermann
    Free Member

There was always a very slight sense of disappointment for me when things were never actually like the advert.

Premier Icon grum

Frugal hippy parents so we weren’t allowed many flashy plastic games/toys. This one somehow sneaked past though – so good!

Premier Icon Cougar

TJ has a collection of trolls. You heard it here first.

Premier Icon twonks

Big Trak – right 15, forward 30 or something like that 😀

Sounded like the speak and spell of later years – remember those.

I had the Evil Knievel bike and plastic sided van. My sister had Barbie and her van – which were to a larger scale than mine, so Evil always had to fly into he van at full speed.

TCR track set was also one of my favourites.

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

I must have been a right spoiled little shit because I had both the Star Bird and the Command Base

Premier Icon grum

Yup that’s well into spoiled kid territory I’m afraid.

Premier Icon beamers

Lego featured heavily in my childhood Christmases and I had quite a bit of the the Space stuff.

In fact I still have quite a bit of that space stuff which Beamers Junior is now playing with and Lego still features heavily in my adults Christmases:

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

Nice Star Bird. Only Spoilt Kid™ territory if you smashed it up.

Both my kids play with and look after their kit, so they get nice stuff. If they abused it then that would stop.

I watched two Isla Bikes rot in nextdoor’s garden over the course of a couple of years because they couldn’t be arsed putting them in the shed or garage. I’m currently watching their patio furniture and vile sex pond going the same way. At least the filter/temperature alarm has finally packed up.

Premier Icon Cougar

I still have quite a bit of that space stuff

LL928 off to the right. Beta-1 Command Base at the back.

Premier Icon nbt

Lego man screaming SPACESHIP

LL928 off to the right. Beta-1 Command Base at the back.

I had both of those and a fair chunk of other space lego, and a couple of buckets worth of “normal” lego too

Premier Icon Cougar

I am so annoyed with myself for not buying Benny’s Spaceship.

Premier Icon monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I had the Star Bird, that was absolute class.
    Lots of Matchbox and Dinky toys. I remember Dinky Thunderbirds and Space 1999 eagles.
    If anyone has any pictures of the 2000AD Matchbox command vehicles please…..

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

I had a Six Million Dollar Man. Used to love looking through his bionic eye, and peeling back his latex arm.

Yeah me too. And we had a gate at our house that, if you swung it just right, would vibrate and make a sound *just* like Steve Austin’s ‘bionic power’ when he jumped etc so we even had a soundtrack to our games 🙂

Premier Icon beamers

If anyone has any pictures of the 2000AD Matchbox command vehicles please…..

I think I’ve still got the K-2001 kicking about somewhere, minus the tracks.

Premier Icon SaxonRider

@tenfoot, look at my post toward the bottom of page 2 on this thread. You’ll see the 1970s Canadian television ad for the Smash-Up Derby toy to which you refer.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

If we are talking toy cars and such…

Premier Icon solarider

I have the full set of the 2000 Matchbox vehicles that Solarider Jnr is still playing with 40 years later. They don’t make them like they used to!

Big Trak was truly a bit sh1t in retrospect but was totally space age at the time.

Evel Kneivel is frankly the best toy ever invented!

Premier Icon nbt

I had one or two of those 2000ad vehicles I think, that pic rings bells. I also had the James Bond lotus with firing missiles too, and a DB5 with working ejector seat, pop-out machine guns and a pop-up bulletproof shield for the rear window

Premier Icon gobuchul
    Free Member

If anyone has any pictures of the 2000AD Matchbox command vehicles please…

What was strange about them, is that they created before they appeared in Judge Dredd. The artist copied them for The Cursed Earth. For some reason Matchbox never marketed the connection.

https://www.maronline.org.uk/the-matchbox-adventure-2000-and-judge-dredd-comic-book-connection/

Premier Icon monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Just awesome, thanks guys. made my day that

Premier Icon beamers

I think my most awesome childhood toy would have to be this:

So awesome that I couldn’t resist buying the re-released version a few years ago:

Premier Icon tenfoot

@tenfoot, look at my post toward the bottom of page 2 on this thread. You’ll see the 1970s Canadian television ad for the Smash-Up Derby toy to which you refer.

Made by the same people, after a quick google, but I had a pick-up and Beetle in my kit. Lots of fun.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Free Member

So awesome that I couldn’t resist buying the re-released version a few years ago

I am so tempted to buy one of those. They’re nothing like as fast/agile/whatever as the more modern kits, but I don’t race them so who cares?

Anyway I’m going with the year I got the Basic D&D set for Christmas. Not exactly a toy, but 🙂 🙂 🙂

Premier Icon chestrockwell

Britains or Ertl tractors for me early doors.

Then on to M.A.S.K. Loved them, especially Rhino Rig and Switchblade!

Oh, not forgetting Zoids, the big ones were properly ace.

Had a decent collection of Starwars at one point but no spoilt kid points as most were in the bargain bin at Sunwin House or from Oxfam as it was mid 80’s and they were out of fashion.

We had an Amstrad 464 when I was young but it was the Amiga that was the game changer…. Until my mate got a Megadrive and Sonic!

Probably the last ‘toy’ faze I went through was Tamiya R/C. Loved my Thundershot but always really wanted a Boomerang or Egress.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Free Member

Philips G7000 – Spent hours playing Pickaxe Pete. Not sure if it was an Atari knock off. Also loved burning key cars, mainly as weapons that my brother and I would fire at each other. The majority of them were plastic but I had a metal spider-man car that didn’t half smart if it hit you.

Other than that it was He-Man, Action Man, Britain’s (made in Hong Kong) animal figures, Star Wars and Transformers. Remember my Mum and Gran knitting outfits for Action Man.

Premier Icon doncorleoni
    Free Member

My Dad got my brother and I one of these… Within 2 hrs of opening at Christmas I was in A&E having hit a car door at warp speed and knocked myself out. The next day, back to hospital as this time my brother broke his hand after turning a corner (on the main road outside out house at the time). What a great Christmas 🙂

vintage-early-80s-era-wham-roller-1-d1dab193261f068fc06b8840ce6cedd3

Next year my Dad got me a gat gun…i lost that pretty much within the first hour of opening as I shot my brother in the bottom with a dart so he then tried to skewer me with kerplunk sticks.

DSC06289-300x300

Year after mum put her foot down and we got keyboards. Rubbish.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol, that made me laugh doncorleoni! 🤣🤣

Premier Icon alaric
    Free Member

For me it was Bigtrak.

Possibly mostly because I didn’t have one, so I only got to play with it when my friend brought his out…

Premier Icon PhilO
    Free Member

While my contempories had the windy-handled Evel Kneivel toy, I had the ‘Turbo Tower of Power’ bike:

null