Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Avid Elixer C constant rubbing pads/discs
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

My Avid Elixer Cs have had new pads fitted an no matter what I do with the caliper they keep rubbing. Any suggestions, tried the big screw driver trick to push the pistons back but still rubbing.

Clink

Presuming you have loosened the mounting bolts and re-tightened whilst squeezing levers?

From Avid site:

With Avid’s Tri-Align™Caliper Positioning System™, aligning the caliper to the rotor literally takes seconds. Just loosen the CPS™ bolts a little, and then squeeze the brake lever while re-tightening the bolts. Perfect caliper alignment—just like that.

grantyboy
    Free Member

Yup done that. It’s like the pistons are sticking out more than they should be and keeping the pad against the disc

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

OE pads or aftermarket? Some aftermarket pads are too thick

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hate to say it buts its pretty common – i couldnt for the life of me get them stop rubbing – if i managed to do it with 30 mins riding /braking they were rubbing again

shop tried it too, and it was impossible to keep them aligned…

switched to forumla and no such issues 😆 sorry not much help, other than i feel your pain….

continuity
    Free Member

Maybe there’s too much fluid in the system? Remove the pads, grease the pistons with red rubber grease or silicon grease, then insert a bleed block and do a full caliper/hose/lever bleed. Reinsert pads, realign caliper and go from there.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

you got avid brakes, i pity you!

grantyboy
    Free Member

What would you go for?

Lifer
    Free Member

Never had a problem with my Elixir R’s, always use standard Avid pads.

Clong
    Free Member

I’ve got a rear Exilir brake that has been used on a friends commuter and im buggered if i can get the pads to fit. It looks like the pistons aren’t retracted enough, but they wont go any further in. The actual faces of the pistons look mullered though, almost corroded in fact. Not the first time ive had issues with avid hydro’s.

jfletch
    Free Member

If the pistons really won’t go fully back in then there is too much fluid in the system. Let some out carefully…

…and the bleed the system as you weren’t careful enough and let some air in!

Superstar pads are a bugger on Elixirs as they are slightly too thick if you use the Avid standard bleed block when bleeding.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Avid Elixer C constant rubbing pads/discs’ is closed to new replies.