Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Average Speed Check Cameras
  • v9gss

Has anyone ever received a fine from a motorway average speed camera?

Was discussing this at the weekend and no one I know has, people have had them from fixed cameras and the smart motorway ones, but none from an average speed check?

doris5000

Mrs Doris sailed through a deserted 50 section at 4am one time and got done. I think the same happened to my brother too. Both were probably 10 years ago now though…

whitestone
    Free Member

I don’t know about the motorway ones but people do get caught by those on the A9. Given how many there are plus the signs I’m quite surprised, or maybe not given the observational skills of most drivers.

doris5000

oh yeah, forgot this, from earlier this year:

Temporary average speed cameras on the M32 have been removed this week – but not before they caught nearly 10,000 motorists speeding.

The cameras started snapping drivers along the M23 in April and within 15 days they had already detected a massive 6,000 cars going too fast.

A 40mph speed limit has been in place on part of the 4.4 mile-long motorway since 2014.

The temporary average speed cameras were installed by Highways England along the Eastville flyover and its approaches to enforce the 40mph speed limit while workers repaired parts of the road.

By the end of the first month the cameras had caught 7,057 motorists – over 200 per day.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So many of my mates with vans have been nicked speeding in their vans forgetting they were driving a van.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The new average speed cameras just off the end of the M5 on the A38 up over Haldon Hill work … even at 03:30am on a road completely deserted for tens of miles at a stretch 😐

I know, burn me!

zilog6128

So many of my mates with vans have been nicked speeding in their vans forgetting they were driving a van.

The (factory) satnav in my van displays the car speed limit. FWP I know, but an annoying oversight! I don’t think the TomTom app I use has the option to set lower speed limits either.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Got done coming off the M6 toll joining M42

Variable speed cameras rather than average though

fogliettaz
    Free Member

I had a speed awareness course a couple of years ago after speeding through the 50mph section of the A13 where it intersects with the M25. Judging by how everyone now adheres to the average speed limit the cameras are still working.

Cougar

Got done coming off the M6 toll joining M42

Presumably the M42 bit? There’s no cameras on the M6 toll (and they’d be banning every third motorist if there was).

globalti
    Free Member

The moral of the story is – always do the same speed as other local drivers as they probably know about something you’ve missed.

MrOvershoot

globalti – Member

The moral of the story is – always do the same speed as other local drivers as they probably know about something you’ve missed.

Given how all the local vans come belting passed me on the “Smart” section of the southbound M6 before Birmingham I’m not going to try that!

aikon
    Free Member

Yep, my boss got busted for 85 in a 70 in a variable section of the M5 when it was set to National Speed Limit

munrobiker
    Free Member

Yes, we have a friend whose husband, an allegedly intelligent high school history teacher, got 9 points in 6 months on the M1 to Leeds because he would do 70 when the traffic allowed then slam his brakes on to get him down to 50, thinking it was a normal camera.

Duh.

dmck16
    Free Member

globalti – Member

Taxi’s and Posties are usually my safe bet to spot.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The M1ave speed cameras (Northampton area) vary now.. used to be 50mph and whilst the roadworks are still in place sections that are almost finished the gantry speed indicators vary between 50 and 60..

Still confuses my quite how trucks blast through at 60 in 50 limits, but hey 🙄

crazy-legs

There was someone one my recent Speed Awareness Course* who got done by them doing 61 in a 50mph roadworks section.

* I know, I deserve to be shot / burnt / flayed alive

whitestone
    Free Member

@crazy-legs – not really. I’ve done one, if you approach them with the attitude that you’ve picked up bad habits and a refresher on good driving is in order then you get a lot out of them.

crazy-legs

if you approach them with the attitude that you’ve picked up bad habits and a refresher on good driving is in order then you get a lot out of them.

It was very good and surprisingly, most people engaged very well with it.

elzorillo
    Free Member

It was very good and surprisingly, most people engaged very well with it.

Not on the course I went on.. 29 of the 30 people were of the opinion it was a gov scam to rip people off.. even when asked again at the end of the course if they’d changed their minds. Only the one same guy held his hand up and said ‘yep, I made a mistake. I didnt notice the road had been reduced from a 40 to a 30’. Felt sorry for the guy doing the course to be fair as he took a bit of flack.

tmb467
    Free Member

got done many years ago on average speed camera section when they were first upgrading the M62 (mebbe 2003?). They said I did an average of 58mph in a 50mph zone…when most of the time I was at 70 (slowing to 50 for the camera)

I’d suggest they’re reasonably accurate – however they dont seem to pick you up if you stick the cruise control on at 58mph

flashpaul
    Free Member

[/quote]Presumably the M42 bit? There’s no cameras on the M6 toll (and they’d be banning every third motorist if there was).

It’s where the toll and the M6 join back together , always a queue on the M6 but not on the toll so even though the road is empty the variable speeds signs come on

irc

globalti – Member

This! Was almost caught on the A9 north of Inverness as I relaxed after the end of the average speed section. Wondered why all the traffic was still dead on the limit …… but saw the camera van from far enough back to drop a few mph.

scotroutes

The moral of the story is – always do the same speed as other local drivers as they probably know about something you’ve missed. stick to the speed limit

FTFY

(or ride a motorbike, obvs!)

IdleJon

FTFY

(or ride a motorbike, obvs!)

Or an articulated lorry, judging by how many overtake me through the M5 works.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

So, on the smart motorways with the average speed cameras – if there isn’t a reduced speed in operation, are they still monitoring cars exceeding the national speed limit?

I’ve been on the M1 quite a few times recently and stick to 70 through the smart section, but the majority of cars still zip by at 80 and more…

scotroutes

Is that 70 on your speedo? That might be only 65 or so. A car actually doing 70 would come past you at 5mph – a brisk walking pace. If they’re gaming it and allowing for the “nominal/generally accepted” 10% allowance then they could be doing an actual 77mph. That’s 12mph faster than you are travelling.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Yes, I guess that’s a possibility. But there seems to be lots of cars in the outside lane giving it plenty of beans (lots more the 12mph faster than me!).

Just curious to know whether the cameras are active when not in smart mode.

deadkenny
    Free Member

M25 Surrey section supposedly will get you for going over 70 when the variable limit is off (or rather the set percentage over 70 that triggers it, whatever that is). That’s after they turned the cameras on a year or few back for first time as they’d not been live before then.

They’re also only on certain gantries, even though all the main ones have the road markings.

Cougar

Just curious to know whether the cameras are active when not in smart mode.

Are you sure you mean average speed cameras? Most smart motorways I can think of are gantry-mounted fixed instantaneous ones.

Anyway, it depends on the road IIRC. I’ve half a memory that they are on the M25 and not everywhere else, but I may have made that up.

Cougar

They’re also only on certain gantries, even though all the main ones have the road markings.

Depending on the design, you can often see them through the gantry as you approach. And on some roads, they’re mirrored on the opposite carriageway so you can work out where yours are.

I wouldn’t chance it, personally.

fossy

The M6 Toll is a free for all… my car goes all quiet at.. 71mph 😆 and a fair bit.

Not been done, but I do know the average camera’s do work.

wrightyson
    Free Member

M1 smart section around 28 north and south are definitely fixed rear facing cameras. They can catch the pesky bikers that way too.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I can ask if you like. Currently sat in waiting room before my ‘what’s driving us’ course. I apparently rlj’d, others here for parking offences, middle lane hogging on M1 and I’m sure a few other things. Seems there is a push on safe driving currently.

trail_rat
    Free Member

driving instructor i got the other week had a huge hardon for pushing identifying the speed limits when there is not always a sign…. .especially as most of the signs on the road no longer applied to the vehicle i was taking my test in.

apparently this is a high proportion of test failures amongst experianced drivers…….

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Are you sure you mean average speed cameras? Most smart motorways I can think of are gantry-mounted fixed instantaneous ones.

I thought the gantry-mounted ones on smart motorways were average speed cameras – but looks like they are of the fixed variety then.

Thanks, I was just curious. I won’t be chancing my luck through these!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Well that was ok. Painless, informative/made me think, and even fun….a little.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Average Speed Check Cameras’ is closed to new replies.