Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • stevie750

Sorry, I assumed anyone with an active interest would have seen it by now.

That is a fair point 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

^ 🙂

rone

It’s perhaps easier to just not discuss what happens at the end of either film, just in case some might see Infinity War for the first time.

It is effectively a two-parter.

If you want to discuss when it’s proper to spoil films do it in another thread.

Critical thoughts are very much welcome.

funkmasterp

Bruce Willis was a ghost all along 😱

Caher

What! Even in Die Hard 4?

stevie750

@rone sorry , i seem to have caused a bit of a hijack to your thread

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If you are upto date with the MCU or just want to get up to date here is a nie infographic running up to the end of Infinity War:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/entertainment/avengers-infinity-war-mcu-timeline/?utm_term=.04a3857ab32e

rone

@rone sorry , i seem to have caused a bit of a hijack to your thread

🙂 All good. Looking forward to everyone’s views.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Well- it was excellent.

No spoilers. Funny and poignant by turns. Surprised and delighted. Didn’t feel long. Some fan theorists will be calling in their bets. Not much Deus Ex Machina from the newest major character.
    Set pieces at the end were perfect.

Definitely recommended. I’ll be seeing it again ASAP.

rone

Great – thanks for that.

belfastflyer
    Free Member

I stopped giving Disney my money years ago. Most of the big moments are already on YouTube. Safe to say I was mildly entertained.

rone

Classy way to watch a film of this scale.

boomerlives
    Free Member

I stopped giving Disney my money years ago

I bet they are reeling from that.

I wish I knew not to wait until after the credits…

belfastflyer
    Free Member

Glad you value how I spend my money so highly.

leffeboy

Well that was immense.  A great, very well put together movie that ticked loads of boxes and didn’t feel that it was either stretching itself too long nor cramming too much in too short a time.  The opening sequence really set the tone. Definitely worth a second watch or three

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Went to a late one last night and thought it was perfect. Humour vs action was spot on and Marvel didn’t do anything the easy way. I left Infinity Wars feeling a bit flat but this was immense. Some great references back to previous films and now we know why certain characters were deleted from that walk through the hanger scene in the trailer. The Thor and Rabbit scenes were great and there is an excellent girl power moment.
    I’ll be seeing it next week again for sure.

leegee

I went last night and it was fantastic.

They have done a great job as all the hype and expectations could have led to a disappointment but they have exceeded my expectations.

BoardinBob

there is an excellent girl power moment

The incels will be on form about that bit.

Whole thing was excellent right from the off. Perfect balance of humour, darkness and action.

Plus I finally have that Thor body I always wanted😎

rone

Just back. Probably need to see it again.

Thought they did a superb job of pulling it all together and making it work. Can’t fault the craft at all.

But I just didn’t think it was the ride of Infinity War, and neither did it have the menace.

Have things gone a little bit Lord of the Rings?

Some excellent moments though, but Infinity War was the top for me.

Still, given expectations – a mammoth achievement.

Loved the opening scene and the amazing tracking shot at the end.

And you’ve got to recognise the clever handling of character and slow build. That’s an achievement for this sort of film.

(I didn’t like what they did with the above mentioned character in this one Jarring.)

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Loved it. Thought it was a perfect Endgame to all that’s gone before. The pacing was superb, they used the three hours very wisely. They let the film breathe, and build gradually to its crescendo. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll really care. It’s a masterpiece.

PiknMix
    Free Member

You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll really care. It’s a masterpiece.

Completely agree.

hols2
    Free Member

It was very entertaining, but they seem to have the same grasp of military tactics as Jon Snow – run out into a muddy field and stab each other with pointy sticks instead of using spaceships and laser blasters. Also, the sciency stuff was a bit lacking in plausibility – if you want science, watch Back to the Future, if you only seek entertainment, watch Endgame.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Just back from seeing it, great film but I’m sure they could of made it 20 minutes shorter!

sirromj

So with endgame being in the title there’s no more after this then?

rone

I’d never be sure about that.

Where there’s money to be made …

Spiderman has only been rebooted twice!

boomerlives
    Free Member

Glad you value how I spend my money so highly.

I don’t. I’m chuckling at your impotent pettiness.

DezB
    Free Member

Important question for those that have seen the film – there are no post credit scenes are there? We have to catch a train and will have to wait an hour if we wait for the end of the credits!!

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

It’s alright, it ain’t no Infinity war though.

That was far better.

rone

@dezb – No.

darthpunk
    Free Member

So with endgame being in the title there’s no more after this then?

There’s another Spideyman coming later this year. Captain Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther have been signed up for sequels and there’s talk of a 4th Thor film directed by the same guy that did the last one. As the resident nerd at work explained in great detail, “they can do what they want with timelines so it ruins nothing of the Endgame film”

Basically, if the current crop of Marvel films are making billions then you can be sure we’ll be swimming in them for the foreseeable.

doris5000

Is Joanna Lumley still in it? Or Diana Rigg? Because otherwise I’m not interested

bigblackshed

there are no post credit scenes are there?

The only thing was the sound of hammer on anvil as the Marvel logo appeared after all of the credits. What it signifies I’m not sure, or surprisingly, I’m not a big enough nerd.

slackalice
    Free Member

You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll really care. It’s a masterpiece.

Completely agree.

Saw it this afternoon, amen to that.

DezB
    Free Member

Good film, lots of depths, lots of silliness, some naff bits, some great bits. Realised at one point how absorbed I was in it, which is all you want from a film really. There’s a really quiet bit near the end and not one person in the packed cinema made a stupid noise! That was a new experience for me!
    And, as jr said, it certainly didn’t seem like we were in there for 3 hours 😊

kimbers

The only thing was the sound of hammer on anvil as the Marvel logo appeared after all of the credits. What it signifies I’m not sure, or surprisingly, I’m not a big enough nerd.

I thought it was the infinity sword being hammered on an anvil but apparently it’s the sound of Tony making the first iron man suit in Iron Man. (I did consider this but dismissed it!)

But yeah it was great, a few slow bits, but no way it seemed like 3 hrs.
    Superbly done.

hols2
    Free Member

Mild spoiler follows.

Robert Downey Jr’s contract is up and he wants to move on to other things so Iron Man has retired. That was acknowledgement that the whole thing started when Tony Stark made the first Iron Man suit. That story is now complete.

Northwind

spoilers spoilers, if you’re still reading this and worried about spoilers you’re a moron, but spoilers anyway…

When you think of the sheer lunatic scale of the thing… There’s never been anything else in cinema like it, totally reasonable to think there’ll never be another like it, and it literally outlived its creator so that’s a pretty big fish to land… and everyone had to be given their screen time, from Taika Waititi to Gwyneth bloody Paltrow. And it’s not just the biggest daftest story arc in cinema history but also caps off 2 megabucks series in Iron Man and Captain America, both of which made their stars so massive that they can barely afford to employ them any more… So it’s a full time job just to deal with all the scaffolding for that never mind actually do a story that works and has ups and downs and time to breathe and massive explosions and genuine sad bits.

Jeremy Renner and Karen Gillen’s own individual stories got a little bit charged through while others got laid on a little too thick (leave it with Terrible Beard saying “Are you going to tell me about this girl” and Old Cap saying “No” ffs), some of the jokes don’t really work and I wish Thanos had just had a little tiny smile as he <super spoiler> but… it made me want to rock out. Some dude gave a massive whoop when Cap got the hammer and I have to admit, as much as I want to scorn that dude, I wanted to too. And I have no idea where 3 hours went, I mean, it’s 2 in the morning! How did that happen.

And yeah I know, superhero films are daft but… Hands up anyone who wants Disney to turn all that energy away from superhero films and into TAKING OVER THE WORLD?

hols2

Why are people with time-travel ever taken by surprise?

The documentary Bill And Ted’s Bogus Journey explained this very concisely.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

^ In many ways I was reminded of Terry Prachets last book when it not only had to be a proper Discworld story but also bring in most of his previous characters.
    It felt like some were shoehorned in but you were glad to see them like unexpected friends at a dinner party.

kimbers

Agree some characters got neglected a bit, I was kinda thinking a 4hr directors cut wouldn’t be a bad thing 😁

slackalice
    Free Member

Well, if we’re doing mild spoilers… All I’ll say is that GOTG3 could be interesting 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Avengers: Endgame’ is closed to new replies.