Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes RED routes
  • frankiesdaddy

Hi all,

Heading to Aix-Le-Bains in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region on wednesday for a week and looking, if im allowed by Mrs R, to hire a full-suss and head in to the mounatins for a day. Ideally heading up on a lift/goldola do a few miles then drop back down to the bottom.

im sure loads of you have ridden over there so im wondering if you could impart some knowledge on the best  routes for an ok-ish rider.

in the UK im ok with Red trails al la FoD, Cannock Chase, Coed Llandegla etc but not sure if our european friends use the same grades. the last thing i want is to be leaping gorges on my descent 🙂

also if theres anyone over there at the same time who fancies a riding buddy then shout me. maybe we can hook up.

thanks in advance

Graham

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I can’t give any particular advice regarding the immediate vicinity, as the closest place I’ve ridden is at La Clusaz, but my observation would be that a French “Red” marked trail might be a bit of an eye opener with regard to UK “Red” trails.

I rode at Vars, Risoul, Serre Chevallier, Puy St. Vincent and Les Orres this summer. Most of the blues would have focussed the mind of a Glentress “Red” standard rider.

I’m normally blind to grading and difficulty, but this summer I was scoping trails for my 7yo, so paid particular attention. My brother and I blasted down one of the blues at Les Orres and decided that it was great at full-tilt, but there was no chance of our kids riding it. My lad has done the Red at GT, although he required towed to the top. My brother later gave it a go with his lad. Multiple faceplants ensued.

If you go easy, you should be fine, but don’t assume grading equivalence.

frankiesdaddy

Thanks TroutWrestler – I had heard they graded harder over there (maybe its testament to the proper mountain geography) so i’ll look to blues instead.

if i survive to tell the tale i’ll post some routes up when i get back for others.

cheers

John_Key
    Free Member

Aix-les-Bains.  There is a bus that goes up to Le Revard and it leaves the pool on the lake front at 9am.  1500m downhill from top and ignore the red Gas de France route down as it is an old railway.  For a really nice bit of single track down through some limestone bluffs, head south along the road from le revard and drop down Col du Pertuiset.  Its awesome

frankiesdaddy

Fantastic – Thanks John.

I’ll give it a try.

BillOddie

My experience of taking kids to the alps is to pre-ride everything.

Some greens can be braking bump fests that would be awful on a 24 or 20in wheeled bike but some blues despite being slightly steeper or more exposed can be much smoother.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

My experience of French route grading is that it has more to do with distance than how hard the trail is

frankiesdaddy

Absolutley Bill – not planning to take the little-un this time tho – she’s nowhere near confident enough. Next year hopefully though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes RED routes’ is closed to new replies.