Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Auto locksmith help
  • antares
    Free Member

So my Transit Custom got broken in to today. It was only a week or so ago a mate sent me a link showing how easy they are to get in to and it seems the scrotes have done that very same trick to get in. Fortunately nothing was taken but I’m left with a drivers door that won’t lock. Obviously I don’t want to replace the lock with the same crappy Ford one so what are my options? Is there any someone could recommend what actually do a decent job of keeping people out? Thanks

leegee

Locks 4 Vans replock, designed for exactly this. If there is damage around the barrel they do a larger bezel to cover it.

antares
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll check them out

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

As above.

Make sure you get the newer model and replace any other standard locks if it has any.

We’re slowly phasing out our Transits and are down to the last handful, back before we found how they were doing it we got hit hard a few times.

In the end we fitted additional deadlocks to rear and side loading doors as well as replacing the drivers door lock as additional security/visual deterrent.

antares
    Free Member

Only lock is on the drivers door. Thing is it’s not a “works” van it’s a double cab and is our family vehicle hence why nothing was stolen as there is nothing in it to steal. What has worried me about it is the ease in which they’ve been able to get in to the rear load space. I have kept bikes in there overnight and assumed backing it up to a wall would mean they’re pretty well protected. It was backed up to a wall today but the way they break in unlocks all the doors and they just released the handbrake and rolled it forward so they can open the rear doors

Edit. Seems like Ford have released a software update to rectify this https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans/news-and-advice/2017/august/ford-transit-security-update/

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

The software update won’t stop them accessing the cab and as you have found pushing it out of the way, it merely helps to protect the load area (providing you have a bulkhead).

With the earlier tibbe locks, you just double unlock the drivers door with the pick to unlock all of the doors.

Maybe try leaving the steering wheel at full lock up against a wall/kerb etc?

antares
    Free Member

Sounds like the software update disables the ability to unlock the rest of the doors once inside the cab using the central locking button unless the key is present. Coupled with the Replock and the fact my van has a bulkhead it should make the load space a lot more secure

dirtyboy

I put a paperclip in the driver lock barrel after my old connect was hit, I could remove it if necessary but it would stop basic thieves.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Auto locksmith help’ is closed to new replies.