• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Austrian Snowboarding Resort Reccomendations
  • Mintman
    Free Member

Anybody got any recommendations for good snowboarding resorts and/or hotels in Austria for beginners/intermediates?

Planning on going half board and hoping for good access to the slopes and high likelihood of snow. Obergurgl is looking promising at the moment but only ever been to the French Alps so not too sure.

STW help greatly appreciated!

GrahamS

The hoff is always good fun. Plenty of apres-ski too.

docrobster
    Free Member

St Anton is great for apres ski. It's a bit low though so not as snow sure as obergurgl

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Saalbach/Hinterglemm is good, excellent infrastructure (heated six man express lifts) good little villages with a couple of good bars especially if you are on a boyz trip…. if you catch my drift

DezB
    Free Member

DON'T go to Mayrhofen on a busy week! Lift queues are horrendous.

nickjb
    Free Member

St Anton is great for apres ski

Best anywhere in the world IMHO. Generally austrian apres ski is way better than France and the food is better too (there, I've said it!)*

*As long as you like pork based products

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Bad Gastein is an Austrian favourite of mine. Loads of varied terrain on different sites around the resort and very few flat sections so snowboard friendly.

There's also a large population of very good-looking Swedes that live there too.

docrobster
    Free Member

Deffo with you on the pork based products 🙁
    Makes a change from the french potato based products though!
    dancing on tables with pissed germans is fun

soulrider
    Free Member

Niederau is excellent – only a small resort, but the few bars (especially O'Malleys ar excellent)

There are only a few slopes and the reds are STEEP – but the blues higher up are fine – in fact so is the high up red.

but if you get the area lift pass there are regular buses to Auffach – really good ski area for beginners/intermeadiates
    You can then head back to Niederau to try yourself on the steeper stuff later in the week.

If you are feeling adventurous later in the week (inghams put on a coach Thurs/Fri) you can grab a 5 min taxi ride (20euros) to Hopfgarten and the SkiWelt area – a huge ski area with lots and lots and lots of great runs.

The hotel I stayed in was the Harfenwirt in Niederau for the last 2 years – it was a HB deal (phone Inghams direct to get best deals) Brekkie is good – continental with some bacon and eggs etc.
    Dinner while not huge is enough and is generally Excellent.
    (do not eat lunch there though its crap – ue the cafe over the road or one of the cafes near the bottom of the main gondola!)
    The Harfenwirt has a good spa, pool, sauna, steam room and plunge pool
    I will be going back again to Niederau – but probably just do a day or 2 on the local slopes and spend the rest of the week over in the Ski Welt area.

if you do go ask Ray (o'malley's bar man) about his Snowboard helmet!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

St Anton and Ishgl are perhaps my favourite resorts for snowboarding, and I've riden extensively in France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Germany. The Paznaun region seems to be a cold snow pocket – It's not just about altitude, the French Alps may be higher, but they are much more maritime (warmer).

Both Anton and Ishgl have a rocking apres scene varying from traditional Tyrolean to modern bars and clubs.

Both have large, fast lift networks that give access to a lot of good off-piste terrain. Ishgl's terrain is more sensible in the main and also has a better piste network. St Anton has very little easy and a lot of out-there terrain. My fav riding area at St Anton is Rendl.

Both are really hotel resorts and neither are cheap. But they are a hell of a lot cheaper than nearby Lech/Zur. A tip for Ishgl – Galtur is a sleepy mini-resort village just 15/20 mins by regular bus and taxi and a lot cheaper too so you get the best of both worlds – a good rave and a good sleep.

Sui
    Free Member

Sol, is a brilliant place to get learning and advance a bit. Will also confirm that the Apres Ski is F@@@@ing ace in Austria – no snobbery that you get in France! It's a damn lot cheaper too – you'll always get a last minute deal to Sol from directski dot co dot uk – normally halfboard fro a week for £300 sods!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Austrian Snowboarding Resort Reccomendations’ is closed to new replies.