Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Audio conversion
  • zokes
    Free Member

Hmmm. Perplexing issue here that I thought would be much easier than it is (or at least appears to be).

I have several live music DVDs with HD audio in 5.1 (usually DTS). Is there a way I can keep the higher bit rate but downmix to 2.0 to store as a .flac or apple lossless and play through a normal stereo?

The closest I’ve got so far is getting the DTS track out as a .mka, but I’m having no luck finding software that will downmix this and convert it to .flac (or even .wav).

Do any audio nerds have any ideas?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7-9961989-49.html

I popped this into google “convert music dvd to pc” and there were a few other options. The solution above should have enough scope to keep the quality there.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Ffmpeg would probably do it, very few audio things it can’t do.

Vlc player should also do it (as a transcode).

Both of them you’ll have to fight options till it works though.

It may or may not sound good though – weird things can go on in downmixing.

zokes
    Free Member

Well, after years of using vlc as a media player, today I learned something new! Looks like VLC does the trick 🙂

Thanks guys

mikewsmith
    Free Member

VLC is fairly awesome not found much it wont play or fix yet

zokes
    Free Member

Actually, scratch that – it doesn’t seem to be quite doing it right. The timing’s all to pot i.e. it thinks a 90 min concert is only 4 minutes, and you can’t skip along i.e. move the progress bar and it just dumps you back to the start. And it crashes in anything other than vlc.

Hmmm

zokes
    Free Member

OK, now found a free trial of DVD Audio Extractor (30 days should be enough to do the 20 or so music DVDs I have).

Next question – what’s going to be highest quality? Downmixing Dolby Digital / DTS, or using the DVD’s downmixed 2-channel?

joemarshall
    Free Member

Dvd 2 channel – they know the right downmix settings (or may even mix completely differently).
    Unless the dvd is done very badly that is.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Audio conversion’ is closed to new replies.