Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Audi S Tronic – real life useage….
  • iainc

new car in a few weeks, not had an auto before.

So I guess you just stick it in D or nudge to S and off you go ?

what about the paddles and the manual shifting options by pushing lever to the right ? Can you use the paddles when in normal D mode ?

Yes, I know I can wait and play when it comes.. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Paddles are ok to play with when you first get it. Novelty wears off and they’re pretty useless cos the DSG is so good in auto you don’t need em.

somouk
    Free Member

As Dez says, you may use the paddles when over taking every now and again as I prefer them to letting sport mode do the gears but other wise stick it in Drive and relax.

If you hit the paddles in drive it will put the car in manual mode for you. Just knock back on the stick to go back to normal drive.

What car did you go for?

Kryton57

Novelty wears off

My experience of Audi also. 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

Are you finding the initial take-off is painfully.

Slow?

I hate my auto A6 with a passion. Just last night someone stopped to let me turn right and by the time the car had decided to do something about the fact my foot was on the go pedal, the other driver had assumed I was ignoring them and had started back off again, almost causing a collision.

BTW, the paddles can be used in started D mode and they automatically flip back to full auto after a few seconds if you don’t use them.

Just be careful about clicking down when coming to a junction though – if the car is in (auto) third and is about to drop to auto second at the same time you manually click it down it can end up in first – done that a few times now 😳

theocb
    Free Member

Yep, stick it in D for the usual.
    S is a bit harsh as holds the revs a bit too long

Manual option still shifts down (and up to avoid engine damage) automatically too

Paddles work in all modes but best in the manual option

DezB
    Free Member

My experience of Audi also.

I gots VW 😛

molgrips
    Free Member

Autos – stick in D, ignore til you stop, then back in P. S is not much use imo when you have manual override (i.e. the paddles). For me, in S, it holds a nice high engine speed to keep the turbo spinning say 2,300rpm, but then when you floor it it pauses to slam it down two gears to get you at 4,000rpm. Well changing down two gears puts you on the same shaft so you get a second’s pause, which defeats the object of sport mode.

Paddles useful when trying to drive fast on twisty roads; when preparing to overtake; or sometimes when towing.

I think in D, you can tap down a few gears with the paddles ready for an overtake then you are in manual mode for something like 20 seconds then it reverts to D. If you want manual control indefinitely it’s something like press them both.

I don’t have paddles, I have to move the stick to get manual mode, and this doesn’t do the manual for 20 seconds thing, which would be quite useful when preparing to overtake.

johndoh
    Free Member

Also, if you double tap the accelerator it automatically drops it down a gear 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

And for full manual (in mine anyway) push the gear stick away from you to the left then either use the paddles or gearstick to change up and down.

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, if you double tap the accelerator it automatically drops it down a gear

?

johndoh
    Free Member

?

Double tap on the accelerator pedal pre-selects a lower gear.

Kryton57

Like SRAM then. I definatly prefer the BMW WOT button.

br
    Free Member

Autos – stick in D, ignore til you stop, then back in P.[/I]

This, and if on pressing the accelerator it just gets noisier rather than faster, buy a more powerful one 🙂

richmtb

Let us know how you get on Iain.

I’m considering DSG for my next car, as 3 days a week of taxi-ing the missus along a crawling M8 every morning in a manual is starting to do my head in.

molgrips
    Free Member

In order to tap you’d have to lift off first? OR you mean press down twice from wherever your foot originally was? How does this not make the car surge forwards jerkily?

iainc

great, thanks for the info. Have gone for A6 estate, with 2.0 diesel, not S Line.

johndoh
    Free Member

In order to tap you’d have to lift off first? OR you mean press down twice from wherever your foot originally was? How does this not make the car surge forwards jerkily?

Just tap quickly from where the foot is at that point. No it doesn’t make it jerk – I wish that box was quick enough to actually make it jerk if I wanted it to 😉

You should try it in your car, see if it works.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m considering DSG for my next car

Do it. I maintain the paddles are useless for all but wannabe-Clarksons though.

somouk
    Free Member

I can’t say I’ve ever known this on any of the auto boxes I’ve driven. There is the button underneath the accelerator that when activated forces a kick down but i’ve never heard of double tap.

molgrips
    Free Member

You should try it in your car, see if it works.

Hmm.. I’ve noticed you can push down to get it to select a lower gear, but that’s just a normal part of acceleration – I’ll try it.

My car doesn’t have some of the fancier features, being a normal Passat and now quite old. No launch control for instance.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I’ve had DSG for 6 months and would not go back to a manual car, its better in every way from stop start traffic and motorway cruising to hooning it on B roads.

drslow
    Free Member

Dont have the double tap feature (or cant activate it) but theres a kick down at the bottom of the accelerator travel. push down to bottom of travel, once its at end press harder, you’ll feel a button press and it kicks down a gear.

Obviously make sure road is clear ahead.

Found the standard auto box great on my 3L A6. Sport mode is mega torquey

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hardly ever used mine in S. Use the paddles to drop down when I want a quick overtaking push
    (Petrol or Diesel). Occasional drive the car in manual mode, usually on twisty roads when pushing along and don’t want the auto changing up if you lift off the revs or when approaching a corner you and want to change down. Personally I prefer a manual on a sporty A/B road but thats a tiny fraction of my driving.

Pull away always slower/different in an Auto, same in both my cars petrol and diesel.

Enjoy 8)

tonyg2003

I have 2016 DSG. Its interesting to hear how frustrated that some other users are finding initial take off – I wonder if they have changed the software and mechanisms over the years. Mine is very “adequate” on take off, although quite a different car application.

I occasionally use the paddles but like everyone else says – the novelty wears off in day to day driving.

pictonroad

double tap. 😆

you lot.

Murray

Audi A3 2.0 TDI Quattro here with S-Tronic. Works well, generally just leave it in Drive. Paddles are only for when your bored or if you want to go for an unexpected overtake.

I use the drive mode selection a bit e.g. right turn out of side road, I may pre-select Dynamic mode.

I’ve mainly had manuals before but would happily stick to autos from now – along with pipe and slippers.

iainc

Audi A3 2.0 TDI Quattro here with S-Tronic

I think that will be same engine and transmission as my A6, so good to know.

rs
    Free Member

GTI DSG here, leave it in D mostly, and drop to S for any overtaking (by pulling back gear shifter), find this is somewhat akin to a manual, in that you get to do something with your hand, but rather than change down, you’re changing mode, no real lag on mine doing this. Sometimes leave it in S just for the fun of pushing the pedal and having that instant go! I did find at first pulling away in D was very slow, even compared to my old SUV, just needs a bit more aggression with the pedal though.

joebristol

Not the same brand or even a dsg gearbox, but I had a Jaguar XE on test in December which had a d mode, sport mode, and the option to shift with paddles (8 speed zf automatic box).

I tried the paddles a few times over the 2 days I had it on test, but then reverted back to leaving it in D. They worked fine and think I’d use them if overtaking on an a/b road, but the rest of the timeout was easier to leave it in D or S. worked so well I couldn’t see the point in the paddles.

My new XE turns up next week 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

Ss the Audi DSG system the same as in Skodas?

aP
    Free Member

I just leave my S205 in Drive, and mostly in either Comfort or Economy mode, with the occasional foray into S+ for country roads when the relaxed setting means that it’ll change down 3 or 4 gears to come out of a corner uphill.
    The main use I have for the paddles is to force downshifts to bleed off speed when coasting up to a stop either at lights or roundabouts.

cx_monkey

probably won’t go back to a manual now I’ve lived with the auto in mine now – A6 Allroad 3.oL Diesel. But – I tend to skip sport and go for manual, but only if I want to hustle in the back roads. Other wise it’s D all the way, but I’d maybe have a different opinion with the same box on a smaller engine…

squealer
    Free Member

There’s a lot of different auto/ dsg boxes in audis.

For example we had a sq 5 with 8 speed dsg, we’ve now got a a6 with 7 speed dsg and they are completely different boxes. The a6 is much quicker to take off.

We’ve also had another a6 with had the s tronic gearbox the op mentioned and that was completely different again and dare I say the worst of the lot. Something to do with the car creating the ratios for you, pulling away in that was scary slow.

Pick your gearbox carefully!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I have a VWAG DSG and during normal driving the gear changes are fast and seamless. The pick-up from a standing start is painful at times, you almost need to pre-judge a gap and take a leap of faith.

Just bear in mind that a DSG is an “automated” manual so still has a clutch but is operated automatically (so it needs to be engaged). It’s not like a traditional torque converter auto (driven those as well and the take up is immediate as it’s always “engaged”).

95% of the time the DSG is great and would buy another. Quick changes and good mpg make it better than autos of old.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Just to add – mine is the 7 speed but I don’t find the take up that bad as to put me off buying one – you’ll get used to it.

@squealer – to the Audi creating the gears – that sounds like a Multitronic (continuously variable) transmission and they’re not particularly good (I think Audi are phasing these out now).

iainc

Not sure which version comes on the A6 now….

It is described as 7 speed S Tronic Quattro

squealer
    Free Member

Ahhh yes my mistake, it’s the multitronic that’s the terrible one. Good news they’re phasing that out!

S tronic is what we have on our a6 now and it’s great.

iainc

^^^ ahh, that’s a relief, cheers !

I did try and get the dealer to do me a deal on Michelin CrossClimates from new but there is no incentive for them to have 4 factory tyres in stock so will run with originals until next winter/when they wear out and swop then. Hopefully the standard tyres and Quattro will be substantially better in the snow and ice (central Scotland) than current RWD BMW…

garage-dweller

On the take up from standing start point I’m mystified.

I’ve racked up 11000 miles since June on a 2012 DSG and never really felt it lacking and I live in the ill road mannered, selfish south where a gap of more than a fag paper is weakness.

You need half an ounce of anticipation (no more than to release the clutch on a manual) and give the throttle a measured prod. Oh and make sure if you’ve been creeping forward it’s not slipped into crawling in 2nd.

I’d say the one thing its weak with is cross camber/uphill reversing and even then only when you’re trying to sneak back those last 2cm (trying to get boot tight to wall/short spaces). I think it’s a product of how the clutch engages so gently at a crawl. If you have delicate left foot skills i still think a manual does this so much better (although I’m getting better with the dsg the more I do it). But it’s a mild inconvenience I’m happy to live with.

I tend to:

D – virtually everything (99%)
    S – short slip roads
    Paddles – if I briefly want to be two gears lower in anticipation of an upcoming gap in moderate traffic (e.G. Middle lane of motorway doing 50, outside doing 70) or for an A road overtake.
    Manual – some kinds of slow moving traffic.

I could happily live without everything but D mode but the other bits just make isolated situations a touch easier.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Audi S Tronic – real life useage….’ is closed to new replies.