• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kerley.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • At what point does Facebook have to take responsibility?
  • matt_outandabout

Yesterday I reported a dozen fake accounts on Facebook. They were purporting to work for our small company, all based in Asia not UK, some actively scamming using our charity name and resources.
    (This follows us launching a book. As quickly as we went up the best seller lists, the scammers kicked in. From fake emails in to us, to fake cheap versions of the book).

Facebooks technology has decided that all the accounts and adverts are just fine. No action.

So the scammers continue.

ampthill

No idea how they are made to care

Unless it’s so blatant the media get behind you

MoreCashThanDash

I think a headline “Facebook refuse to take action on scammers targeting kids charity” might wake them up.

DickBarton

A difficult one to answer as a member of the public. From what I can see/tell/perceive – Facebook are a business based on driving traffic to themselves, these fake accounts encourage and increase that traffic so won’t be removed quickly (or at all). As far as I can tell there is no unbiased methods for them to use when a complaint is raised.

Jamz
    Free Member

Have a look at a chart of their share price and you will understand why they are in no hurry to remove any accounts 🤣

fasthaggis

I can’t imagine they have the people/bots to manage all the fake/scammer accounts ,unless they climb up into their popularity algorithm.

redthunder
    Free Member

Delete your own account.

Log off.

Its a shame business’s have become so reliant on a company that only exists as a vehicle for advertising.

Facebook or the wilderness 🙁 Not much of a choice.

My sympathy with your problems.

redthunder
    Free Member

Ps got a link to your book on your website.

Greybeard
    Free Member

If you post on the scam account to say they are scam, what happens? Can the scammers remove your posts?

kerley
    Free Member

They will take responsibility when governments around the world decide to stop the use of Facebook in their country due to the problems with it. Can’t see that happening.

binners

Martin Lewis has been campaigning about this for years. There are scam adverts all over Facebook using his name and image offering investment advice etc, that exist purely to con people out of money

He’s had no success as Facebook just aren’t interested.

If someone as high profile as him can’t get them to take the issue seriously, you’ve got no chance

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I can’t add to what @kerley and @binners have said.

zilog6128

Martin Lewis has been campaigning about this for years. There are scam adverts all over Facebook using his name and image offering investment advice etc, that exist purely to con people out of money

I’d say 99% of the ads I see on FB either look like scams, or I know for a fact are scams 🤣 So ignoring ads on FB is the safest bet. Unfortunately, there’s a huge overlap between heavy FB users, and people stupid enough to fall for said scams, so it’s no doubt a very profitable market (both for the scammers and FB in terms of paid ad revenue)

kelvin

I don’t have a problem with ad advert supported social media… but Facebook is now a paid for publishing platform, and it refuses to be responsible for the lies, scams and election rule breaking content that it is paid to publish. Governments need to go in hard and change laws to make them responsible. A UK broadcaster would never get away with what they get away it.

Shred
    Free Member

The Berlin Data Protection Authority has issued guidance to government departments to turn off all Facebook pages, as there is no way to comply with GDPR when using Facebook.

https://www.datenschutz-berlin.de/infothek-und-service/pressemitteilungen
    In German, check the 8th April 2022 announcement.

Google Translate
    BlnBDI informs Senate administrations about the use of Facebook pages
    Facebook pages must be switched off if the operators cannot prove their compliance with data protection law. This is the result of a new report by the Data Protection Conference, about which the Berlin Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information (BlnBDI) informs the Senate administrations.

Volker Brozio, acting head of the BlnBDI department: “Facebook pages cannot currently be operated in compliance with data protection regulations. This is the conclusion reached by European and German courts as well as a new report by the German data protection authorities. The Senate administrations should deactivate their Facebook pages if they cannot ensure compliance with data protection law. As public authorities, they have a special responsibility and a role model function.”

mashr

The company that is more than happy to let people send unsolicited dick pics? Think it’ll be a while

matt_outandabout

If you post on the scam account to say they are scam, what happens?

I get a warning from Facebook for being insulting…(!)

redthunder
    Free Member
    Ps got a link to your book on your website

Our new book launch: Teaching the Primary Curriculum Outdoors

CountZero

Facebook, take responsibility for anything? Are you mad? Or just hopelessly optimistic.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You have to vote with your feet.

I appreciate that might not be particularly easy.

I can’t be arsed with facebook if companies use it as their “website” etc the generally won’t get my custom. not in a making a stance kind of way just that i lose interest in it.

tomd
    Free Member

Give it a few days until someone posts your entire manuscript on linkedin, who will not care that someone is boosting their profile by sharing copyrighted material.

“I found this amazing book, really interesting…here’s a link”

Facebook will only care if the dodgy scam stuff starts to cause lots of users to disengage. I know there are a few folk on here that think fb is lovely, but we’re talking about the company that helped power the last Myanmar genocide and gave no **** about it. Properly evil and I don’t say that lightly.

kerley
    Free Member

Could be a while before it declines naturally with users voting with their feet

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.