Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • At last, a proper secret place to stash an Apple Air Tag!
  • stwhannah

There has been a fair amount of debate as to where to hide an Apple Air Tag on a bike so that it’s not immediately discovered and removed by thieves. …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

At last, a proper secret place to stash an Apple Air Tag!

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

footflaps

Wonder how long the tag will last being spun around and bashed on rocks…

AndrewL

Or forces the whole valve assembly through the spoke bed on hitting a rock!

tthew

Think I preferred the fork bung version that a user off here invented. I stuck with an Android phone when I got my last one, so didn’t purchase, but it didn’t seem to have many drawbacks.

chrismac

But will the police bother to do sing when you tag them where it is?

ossify

Or forces the whole valve assembly through the spoke bed on hitting a rock!

This was my first thought! But they’ve thought of that, it’s mentioned in the article. Sacrificial squishy bit between the tag and the rim/valve.

Think I preferred the fork bung version that a user off here invented.

+1

pedlad

I though this was moot anyway as AirTags flag up to other iPhone users (thief) that there’s a tag in their vicinity. Be better off with something like a Tile tag?

fahzure

Lots of stems have a cavity.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Be better off with something like a Tile tag?

That nobody except the owner can find?

Bindun, both equally as useless for opposite reasons (too easily detected vs not easily detected).

Actually Airtags are more like Schroedingers tracker, both far too easily detectable and not detectable enough in equal measures. Great for stalking anyone with an Android device but easy to detect if you deliberately look for them (but not necessarily easy to remove from wherever they’re hiding).

johnnystorm

Great for stalking anyone with an Android device

For the time being. Apple have made an Android app for spotting tags and Google are looking to bake an auto-search into Android.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not secret now is it?

squirrelking
    Free Member

For the time being. Apple have made an Android app for spotting tags and Google are looking to bake an auto-search into Android.

Yeah, both of which require user intervention as I said (assuming the auto search will only be on new releases, I dunno how many versions behind my phone is and I doubt I’m unique in that aspect) so nothing is going to change any time soon.

whatgoesup

It might have a sacrificial squishy bit, but a flat tyre with one of these installed will quite likely cause major rim damage. Nice idea though.

desperatebicycle

Seriously considered this for my eBike (which my son has been borrowing to go to the gym!!!) and just thought wheels are so easily removed… but then again, you’d need to track a bike down quick, so they probably are a good idea. Muc-Off’s alternative is one that attaches under the bottle cage, which is pretty good. But yeah, the fork bung one is probably the best idea

burko73

Would the fact that its stuffed up a metal fork steerer mean it wasn’t as effective?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

How long does the battery last?

tthew

Would the fact that its stuffed up a metal fork steerer mean it wasn’t as effective?

I’ll go back and try to find the thread and bump it up/link here, but apparently it was tested as being still quite visible.

Found it quite quickly.

Thieving scumbag defeating device: I’ve made something you might like.

tonyg2003

I’ve got the fork bung ones on my MTB and they work great to stash the airtag. Let’s face its just a “maybe” device that can be fairly easily defeated but at least it’s a slight deterrent and feels like I’m doing something that might help in the case of a theft.

ampthill

Apparently the battery lasts about a year

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.