Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Aston Hills XC – technical?
  • Kryton57

I want to challenge myself a little at the weekend and by default was going to go to Hadleigh.  But, is Aston Hills XC loop any good for a few hours riding or pretty tame?

angeldust
    Free Member

In a general sense, no it’s not that technical, but given the location you have to travel a fair way to find something harder.  Could always try the DH tracks if you are finding it a bit piss easy.  It’s notoriously lethal in the wet on the chalky bits.  Worth going if you’ve not been before imo.

kjcc25
    Free Member

I found the XC loop at Aston Hills very disappointing and not worth the day pass you have to buy. It was about 12 months ago when I did it last so there may have been improvements but it was overgrown and poorly maintained and certainly wouldn’t keep you entertained for a few hours. The DH trails are technical especially in wet weather. Far better XC routes can be found on the other side of Wendover, starting on the bridal paths leading up to Coombe Hill.

Trimix
    Free Member

For XC I would not pay to ride there, the Chilterns is covered in great XC trails, all free.  Aston is surrounded by good riding, just get an OS map and ride about.  Wendover Woods and from there towards the West ending up at Princes Risborough.  Good hills, lots of rooty singletrack.  All good fun.

Kryton57

Ok thanks.  I may have both weekend mornings free so I’ll go to Hadleigh Sat and stay local in Epping Sunday for a recovery type ride / Tea.

senorj

I doubt it would challenge you for half an hour tbh.

As above, loads of lovely xc stuff nearby if you can read a map.

maxtorque

Aston Hill, the only place in the Uk where the wet roots are the GRIPPY bit………   😉

padkinson
    Free Member

Why not just do laps of the DH tracks?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

where are you based north london ish ?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Thetford has a fair amount of XC trails but very tame, so good for distance but not improving technical ability.

The downhills runs are good at Aston hill.

Although quite difficult if you a bit of XC mincer like me.

So if your looking for technical they could be good. Best to go when its dry mind.

Personally I would nt recommend the chilterns for technical XC unless you know exactly where you are going.

To be honest the best bet for technical in the SE is to get up early and drive round to the surrey hills like everyone else.

Could also do Bracknell but alot think its boring on here. But it does have a decent length marked XC route with some XC bits, much much better than thetford.

Kryton57

where are you based north london ish ?

Enfield – Epping I on my doorstep.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Googlemaps sat morning 9am

enfield to peaslake = 1h 15mins <-> 1h 40mins : Riding Good, lots of it

enfield to aston hill = 50 mins <-> 1h 5mins : 4~5 very short DH trails very good, XC very poor

enfield to Bracknell (look out)  = 55 mins <-> 1h 15mins : Riding Reasonable lots of it

enfield to hadliegh = 50 mins <-> 1h 10mins : I dont know

enfield to thetford = 1h 25mins to 2hours : Riding poor, lots of it

enfield to north chilterns ( ie ashridge) : 40mins : Based on my experience of south chilterns Riding good but non-technical and difficult to find route without local knowledge.

Based on the above I’d probably check out Bracknell and chilterns if you dont know it.

Also remembered

enfield to wooburn = 45mins <->  1h 5mins : no idea about riding.

Based on timings it would make sense to check this out

Dickyboy

& it’s been bucketing down at Aston Hill both Sunday & yesterday, recon Saturday was the last dry riding in the Chilterns 🤔

benp1

You’re missing out Epping Forest and Broxbourne Woods, riding good if you know where you’re going

scu98rkr
    Free Member

assumed the OP would know local riding I certainly dont.

Kryton57

You’re missing out Epping Forest and Broxbourne Woods, riding good if you know where you’re going

I’ve spent 15 years riding those, the former is 20mins ride from home, they aren’t challenging me technically 😉

Thanks though.

edge85

How technical/challenging are you looking for? The Hadleigh black sections are probably the most challenging in Essex but I get bored quickly there.

Danbury has some good jump runs.

I can show you a good 15 mile loop around Langdon Hills with a few rooty fun sections but 90% of it is cheeky!

cossyrush
    Free Member

Aston Hill is my local spot. Although I’ve not ridden there much this year because I’ve been on the road bike. A full XC loop takes around 30 mins depending on how fast you ride. It’s a bit of a slog getting back up, I don’t enjoy the climb that much.

The red descent is not particularly challenging but it’s fun. At the bottom you can ride the XC back up, or to get back up quickly ride up the push up track.

I’d definitely suggest trying some of the other runs. Richocet, then Root Canal, Surface to Air if you like jumps, and Black for tech.

It’s not your normal trail centre with a long XC ride, but if you are looking for an adrenaline buzz with short DH runs then it’s a great place to ride.

pickle
    Free Member

I’m with you on that climb/walk back out, that’s a killer!

adsh
    Free Member

Don’t listen to the naysayers, its a fantastic place to train. Its either vomit inducing climbing which while not technical needs concentration at max HR or fast descending with some lovely cornering. Do it under 22minutes on a short travel fs and you’ll have a grin on your face once youve stopped throwing up.

Definately not somewhere to fall – very flinty and you need to get used to speed through trees.  Might be hard to find route under autumn leaves although they do blow them off.

adsh
    Free Member

While there are no truly technical challenges its requires considerable commitment to carry speed. You have to let your suspension work very hard over roots, commit to what feels like otb sections and carry a lot of speed close to trees. 21m 57s – probably best ride Ive ever done.

Kryton57

Maybe next weekend.  I can’t be more than 5 seconds from the throne at the moment and my legs aren’t even holding up my body weight.

Weight loss is going well though…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Aston Hills XC – technical?’ is closed to new replies.