• This topic has 342 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by SOAP.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 343 total)
  • Ashton Court! Brizzole
  • clubber
    Free Member
    MrAgreeable

+ mate’s brand new Fox Flux = hours (well, minutes) of fun…

racemonkey

Mr Agreeable is there any plans to replace the direction signs or make them more permanent.
    It all seemed to be looking pretty good before the balloon fiesta but the couple of times I’ve been there since it seems like someone’s on a mission to remove all the new signs.
    Personally I wouldn’t have thought it would be bikists as the trail flows better the way it currently runs but you never know.

Also are there any plans to put bigger signs up to try and deter walkers / joggers / dog walkers et all from using the trail as the female jogger running up from the gate house had a proper panic when she saw us (she did have headphones in mind) coming towards her and I’ve also seen a guy go over the bars trying to avoid a couple with their dog walking up the red downhill in new barn wood.

MrAgreeable

Yes there are plans to make the signage more permanent. The temporary signs have also been replaced several times but unfortunately it seems that someone is systematically removing them. If you look above you’ll see that someone has apparently spotted the guy. I passed this description on to the rangers who are keeping an eye out for him.

The old trail was very poorly signed and I’ve been assured that the new signage will make things a lot clearer for other users of the estate. At the end of the day though it is a busy trail in a country park that gets over a million visitors a year, so it’s always a good idea to keep an eye out for randoms.

racemonkey

Yeah I saw that. If I do see anything being abused I’ll either find a ranger or let you guys know.

Taz

Walked around Leigh Woods on Sunday. Trails looking pretty good 🙂

Strugling to find any updates on opening dates. Anyone (Ant?) happen to know

MrAgreeable

Early November apparently. Although it might be sooner – this rain is going to help it bed in a treat. 😀

I know it’s all a bit media luvvie, but 1SW’s Twitter feed is a great place to find out such things: check https://twitter.com/1SouthWest

Taz

Cheers Ant. I did not have that link 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Did 3 laps of AC today – it’s bedding in great, feeling rougher under wheel, but is just as fast in the wet it seems. Did some new rock steps appear on the Upper Quarry Trail?

All sort of people enjoying it today, including a young fella wearing a cap, iPod and white jeans, yes folks WHITE JEANS!

I had a chat with a nice fella some of you regulars may know: Robin – riding a old Cove Stiffee with 24″ wheels and one brake; carrying a shovel 😉

deluded
    Free Member

Was up there again today with a couple of mates for a few rounds of AC & 50 Acre. Loads of riders out and about and a big posse up by Wraxall Piece. Good times.

wallop

Went to the loo at the tea hut tonight, and whilst I was in there the tea hut man came and locked the toilets! Luckily it was at the start of our ride, and my mates managed to get the guy back to let me out. 😆

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Lots of talk above about the numbers of people using the trails.. an amazing 30,146 passes clocked up since mid June

http://www.1sw.org.uk/experience/a-measure-of-success-for-ashton-court/

The cycle counter at Ashton Court Estate near Bristol has been doing overtime since it was installed in mid June.

In just six weeks it clocked up a staggering 30,146 passes – that’s an average of 412 cyclists per day using the trail. When you consider the previous average was around 160 cyclists per day, we believe it’s proof that the trail is succeeding in attracting lots of new people into off-road cycling, despite the glorious British summer! The busiest day so far has been Sunday 10 July, when 969 passes were recorded.

All this use is fantastic, but all the images we have so far are lacking people! If you have a favourite photo of yourself or friends riding the new trail and don’t mind sharing it with us, please e-mail it to jonathan.fairhurst@forestry.gsi.gov.uk .

clubber
    Free Member

In just six weeks it clocked up a staggering 30,146 passes – that’s an average of 412 cyclists per day using the trail.

That’s actually less than I’d have expected though maybe it’s skewed by being quieter in the week.

karen805
    Free Member

I went yesterday, first time ive been there since Beggar Bush Lane was re-opened, 2 laps of thoroughly enjoyable riding.

I’ve only been on a Sunday before, so to me it did seem quiet, but there were still people about which was nice.

MrAgreeable

A bloke on the Trails Group Facebook group says he bumped into a train of 20 riders on the partly completed Leigh Woods trails last night. I would say that definitely crosses the line from “having a sneaky peek” to “thoughtless douchery”. 👿

moonboy
    Free Member

Been riding the new stuff in AC a lot of late…

my 2p is its great.

Yeah sure its lost the rooty tech of the old layout but it really was the case that trail was getting wider as time went by.

The new stuff is also fun! Did a lap of 50 acre for the first time in ages yesterday and I don’t know if its me but it felt like it was in better nick for not being hammered as much as days gone by. Only saw 1 other person and that was 11am on Sunday.

I really think its great to have so much on the doorstep. When its wet, ride the new stuff in AC and when its open, the new stuff Leigh Woods. When its dry go ride all the old stuff in 50acre and Leigh Woods. Paradise bottom, rim trail*, picnic table etc Win win, non?

Oh and 1 for the turbo geeks… I am now the foursquare mayor of timberland trail. Come and get me! 🙂

*hee hee i said rim.

noteeth
    Free Member

When its dry go ride all the old stuff in 50acre and Leigh Woods. Paradise bottom, rim trail*, picnic table etc

If it doesn’t get incorporated… 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Well it was back to winter this morning so I fitted mudguards, rigid fork and lights.

The great news is that the trails hold up very well – sure I got wet and a bit gritty but the bike didn’t really need a clean.

Swapping to rigids was interesting though – normally the summer->winter swap from sus fork->rigid is a lesson in how much work a sus fork does for you. This morning it was only at the end of the ride that I actually remembered that I’d swapped. Much smoother evidently.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Hmmm, thinking of doing the Oktoberfest rigid.

cheers_drive

I’ve started riding rigid again since the new trail opened, I don’t miss suspension in AC but by back was killing after riding 50 acre and bits of LW too.
    I think the numberr of riders on the trail have now peaked and are dropping off – I only saw a handful of others on Monday night.

nickegg
    Free Member

The fact that so many cyclists are fair weather types and the ‘there’s something new to ride’ novelty factor has worn off means there’s bound to be a sharp drop in numbers.

Not that i see ever any one at 7:30 in the morning!

DJ
    Free Member

I’m still waiting to ride them! I was planning to wait for Leigh Woods to be finished but think I’m gonna have to have a go before then, maybe in the next couple of weeks. Numbers will reduce which will be good for me as I plan to use AC and LW for training during the winter months when the Quantocks are a mud fest.

clubber
    Free Member

Not that i see ever any one at 7:30 in the morning!

Too right, I’m comfortably back home by then 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

all the old stuff in 50acre and Leigh Woods. Paradise bottom, rim trail*, picnic table etc

Work on section F to G has begun. 🙁

I’m gutted, tbh. I’m going to really miss the roots, rocks & short sharp technical climbs on that bit of trail – it was everything I like about riding in woods.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’m starting to think It’s becoming a victim of it’s own success, the trails were heaving with people on Saturday afternoon mainly families with there little ones which goes to show how easy most of it is, the thing is IMO the best way to get enjoyment out of these new trails is to ride at speed which you can’t do with families in the way, nice to see the little ones having fun though.

Also a special mention goes to the group of walkers walking along the BBL section of the trail :mong:.

number562554
    Free Member

Also a special mention goes to the group of walkers walking along the BBL section of the trail :mong:.

To be fair as I understand it Ashton Court was opened up to general public access back in the 70s. Surely there was a path there made by walkers before it got adopted by mountain bikers and eventually turned into the Timberland Trail?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I think it was more so a horse riding trail than a walking trail before it became the TT, they may have a right to walk there but why bother putting themselves and others at risk, a bit daft IMO.

number562554
    Free Member

Most walkers / runners tend to stick to the edge of the golfcourse and the other more sensible adjacent paths. I suspect a some of them at the moment are just curious about the new trail. I think there’ll be a lot more conflict in Leigh Woods with the disgruntled dog walking mafia who weren’t consulted and have suddenly had a brand spanking new mountain bike track slapped on ‘their woods’.

MrAgreeable

New pumptrack en route to the trails is looking good! Should be fully open in about 3 weeks.

noteeth
    Free Member

new pumptrack

It looks ace! Now I just need to rebuild my Supercross BMX race. And get some new knees. 😀

DJ
    Free Member

Rode AC at the weekend and was very impressed. The weather was pretty grim at times and the trails held out well. Really enjoy the flow of the new trails.

Also popped down to 50 Acre but that wasn’t much fun as it was so muddy and the wet roots were no fun. Had a look at Leigh Woods too and saw some of the new stuff. It was all closed off byt you could see some numpties had been riding it.

Big thumbs up from me.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

50 Acre but that wasn’t much fun as it was so muddy and the wet roots were no fun

A point of view thing. It’s not fast, grippy and flowy like the new AC trail and more like how AC used to be where you have to pick lines and fight for traction, possibly slightly tricker than the old AC in places. I thought it was a right laugh staying upright with the bike skipping and sliding, especially the rockier bits. We were jolly filthy at the end 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’m determined to keep my fast summer tyres on for the Oktoberfest (tubeless faff) which with current trail conditions in 50 acres is a recipe for disaster, hence my borked knee, elbow and holed arm warmers.

Wouldn’t want 50 acre any other way.

DJ
    Free Member

I’ve ridden 50 before in the dry and it was great fun but just couldn’t get anywhere on Saturday without coming a croper. It was a total mudfest from the heavy downpours. Only managed to postie myself on the crossbar a couple of times! Still, all good practice!!

DJ
    Free Member

By the way, some good pictures available on the 1 South West facebook page of the new Leigh Woods stuff.

MrAgreeable

A quick heads up – the Quarry Trail loop in Ashton Court is going to be closed for riding between 1.45 and 3.00 pm this Sunday (25th) to allow the Bike Olympics fastest lap competition to take place. All the other trails will be open as normal.

If you fancy giving it a go it’s £2, there will be prizes for the winners and the best effort.

There’s also loads of other stuff happening that day for riders of all ages. Check it out here:

http://bristolcyclefestival.com/event-diary/bike-olympics/

santacoops
    Free Member

Bike Olympics

Why can’t these things be organised when other things aren’t on? (FoD Enduro). I’m doing some fast morning laps up there these days.

MrAgreeable

Tell me about it! Particularly gutted to be missing the Cobble Wobble.

On the other hand, this is going to be ace, local, and either dirt cheap or free! 😀

DJ
    Free Member

Got a facebook update this morning that they are putting in a trail diversion at Ashton Court which will be ready by the end of the week. Anyone know anything about this?

karen805
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, has anyone ridden nearby Ashton Hill Woods? I’ve heard there are a couple of small DH tracks there.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 343 total)

The topic ‘Ashton Court! Brizzole’ is closed to new replies.