Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ashbourne – Derby
  • yetidave
    Free Member

I have a site visit next week in Ashbourne, should take a couple of hours on site, but need to stay overnight, so going to bring a bike. Road or MTB, are there any good routes for a couple of hours, preferably starting and finishing in Ashbourne. This job should run for a few months, so will be down periodically for this visit over the spring/summer. I really don’t know this area at all, except its close to the peak district…

northernmatt

There’s the Tissington Trail – usual disused railway fare. Carsington Water as well so you can ride round that.

robbo1234biking

On a road bike ride out of Ashbourne on the B5035, into Knockerdown, round Carsington into Hopton and turn right up to Kirk Ireton, you can then head back via Idreghay, Cross o’th’hands and Hulland Ward and back to Ashbourne.

Avoid going anywhere near the A52 on a bike in my opion. Generally from Ashboourne heading over towards Carsington, Belper way will give you some decent fairly quiet back roads. Plenty of fairly short but sharp hills.

slowoldman

Tissington Trail (and High Peak Trail) are more gravel than MTB territory. Plenty of excellent lanes for the road bike. The area around Ilam and Wetton is nice and you can incorporate bits of High Peak and Manifold valley trails for a circular route, Also as mentioned, Carsington Water and surrounding area.

yetidave
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks folks. I had vaguely looked towards Wetton for a route, but not Carsington Water. Is the Tissington Trail more suited to gravel/mtb than road bike?

robbo1234biking

In Summer you could definitely do the Tissington Trail on a road bike (with higher volume tyres – wouldn’t do it on 23mm’s!) it is a good gravel path so may be a little uncomfortable on a road bike. I did it on some 38 Schwalbe G-One Speeds. Not sure what it is like at the moment.

yetidave
    Free Member

I have some fast track 2.1″ on my monster cross, so may just bring that for a run out.

willyboy
    Free Member

You can do a loop using the Tissington trail and link up with High Peak trail (come off at Parsley Hay, although you can cut across earlier if needed). Follow High Peak trail back towards Brassington (you come off the trail at Longcliffe) back roads to Bradbourne and Tissington then back on to the Tissington trail back to Ashbourne.
    Ps the Tissington trail is up hill out of Ashbourne.
    There is loads of good road riding around Ashbourne in virtually every direction. I agree with robbo though, avoid the a52.

willyboy
    Free Member

Some local rides

The Boylestone loop on this page is nice.

Richie_B

Good suggestions so far if you’re a bit more masochistic head out through Ilam and then Grindon via the Manifold valley then keep crossing the Manifold and Dove working your way up to Hollinsclough till you’re knackered the direct routes back to Ashbourne (including the Tissington Trail) are all infinitely easier so you aren’t likely to get stranded.

There is good off road stuff round there but its all a bit (lot) claggy at the moment

On-oneplus26

This guide will point you in the right direction if you are looking for off road stuff.
    https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/books/mountain-biking/white-peak-mountain-biking-1/

littlerob

We’ve certainly done bits of the Tissington Trail and the High Peak trail on road bikes fitted with 25/28mm gatorskins (or similar). Its a pretty good surface.

Its busy and, though I’ve not been anywhere near the place recently, if its anything like the tracks round here, it’ll be busier still at the moment. Useful to link up bits though.

LR

yetidave
    Free Member

Im going to be doing more riding than work at this rate. Perfect. Thanks for the advice to the lovely people of STW!

smudge
    Free Member

Some cracking MTB biking around Ashbourne, venture up towards Darley dale too for some gems too.

The White Peaks book is a good starting point and routes can also be found here to download – https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/books/wpmbdownloads.html

Also check out Colin’s Flat Tyres routes as well – https://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/peak-district-mtb-routes/

Aidy
    Free Member

I’ve done all of the Tissington and High Peak Trails on 25s. Fine even in winter (can be little bit sloppy in a couple of places).

yetidave
    Free Member

looks like the only options i have for a hotel is in Uttoxeter, which looks like 25mins from Cannock. Worth bringing the mountian bike down for this? Any restrictions on car parking early evening?

robbo1234biking

Cannock is OK for a 2 hour blast on the MTB. A lot of people don’t like it but an evening riding around is good and generally quiet. There is a layby you can pack in just off the A460 labelled the Everglades on Google Maps (52.73340, -1.96652). You can park there for free and there is plenty of parking for an evening. Assuming you just want a blast stick to the waymarked trails.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ashbourne – Derby’ is closed to new replies.