Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • As efficient as a hardtail….but not a hardtail
  • coconut
    Free Member

I’m currently riding a 2013 Giant Anthem X29er and getting a bit tired on long rides (60 to 80 mile rides on a mixture of roads, paths and trails). I think it’s a bit tiring as there is no rear shock lock off, and the older gearing ratios. I was considering trading it in for a hardtail but then looked at the new Giant Anthem 2019 – 29er… I’m thinking this bike is as efficient (longer term energy expenditure and power delivery wise) as a hartail if you locked both forks off (for road sections), in addition the gearing, frame geometry & tyres look super efficent… thoughts ?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/anthem-29er-2

kayak23

You’re getting ‘a bit tired’ on 80 mile rides?

🤔

thegeneralist
    Free Member

LOL
    I opened this thread to suggest an anthem 29er. Have a check to see if there are still any 2018 advanced for £2250 kicking about.(half carbon)
    That’s what I’ve got and it is pretty good on non tech stuff But it doesn’t have dual lockout. Wish it did. Does the one you linked to have?

You anywhere near Manc?

coconut
    Free Member

Hello – No London based. The 2019 does have dual lock out. Were doing the Badger divide (Glasgow to Inverness) in September and will be hitting 84 miles each day over 3 days so would like a decent bike before that.

claudie

Just bought the 2018 model from Paul’s cycles for 27% Off. I posted about it yesterday

matt_outandabout

Trek Procaliber with isospeed decoupler?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Person have charge for 2500 and Thomas have ex demo large for 2300.

PS. Good humblebrag by the way
    😁

thegeneralist
    Free Member

****’ autocorrect
    PEDALON have xl anthem advanced 2018 for 2500 and Thomas’ has ex demo large for 2300.
    But as ABOVE, only front lockout

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Trek Procaliber with isospeed decoupler?

Love my Trek domane. Wanted a Procaliber lots.

coconut
    Free Member

Just been reding about the Procaliber…. interesting bike. The review was not overly flattering.

cp

I also opened this thread to recommend an anthem 29er. I’ve got a 2013 one and it’s fast.. and more importantly more efficient imo over long rides than a hardtail.

That’s a pretty generic statement as I’ll also say more important things to check on the anthem are…. Shock and fork pressure, service required on either?, tyre type and pressure, position on the bike etc…. Are all probably more important than the specific model of bike per se.

As an aside, 80 miles of mixed riding is going to make you knackered.

stumpy01

Specialized Epic?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Different tyres. Having looked at some Badger Divide photos, the surfaces aren’t really that bad. Look at some wider “gravel” or XC tyres.

Gravelking SK
    G-One
    Crossmarks
    Minion SS

Etc

Also, 80+ miles a day, camping, for 3 days is pretty optimistic. Especially if it is pishing down with rain.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ll recommend what over got, a KTM Scarp, pick the model to suit your budget. The bike is very efficient and you hardly even notice it’s got rear suspension, plus you can lock it out with the bar mounted lever.

I use mine for marathons, 6, 12 & 24hr racing

flange
    Free Member

I’ve got the 29er anthem with alloy frame and carbon rims – it’s a lovely thing to ride over distance as it’s so comfy. That said I find it pretty flexy and the seatpost size means a dropper is out of the question

For distance stuff however, it’s ace

singletrackmind

Scott Spark? Usd to come with dual lock outs with a bar mounted lever (F & R ,C.T.D modes iirc)
    Fastest FS I have demo’d was a Carbon Scapel , Lefty with rear lock only. Thought it had a motor in it . Was bling spec and very light mind.

kcr
    Free Member

Is your Anthem really as inefficient as you think?
    I’ve got a 2006 Anthem, and I’ve never felt I was wasting energy unnecessarily when riding long distances on mixed terrain, even without a rear lockout. I’ve always liked the way the Anthem suspension doesn’t bob about if you are putting in a bit of an effort on a climb, or cruising on the road.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

and the seatpost size means a dropper is out of the question

Yes and thanks to the **** stupid arsed stealth Allen key wedge adjustment thing it’s an absolute nightmare to shift the saddle manually so you’re left doing any tech in this horrible height seat ball catching position.

Fools.

ac282

You can (and I have) run an internal dropper from KS on an anthem.

dove1

the seatpost size means a dropper is out of the question

There are quite a few 27.2mm dropper posts available now – Brand-X, Thomson and Tranz X all do them.

fooman

Tyres and tyre pressure is the key, I frequently to 40 and occasionally 50-60 miles on a 27.5 150mm FS and don’t use lockouts, though sometimes pump the rear shock up a bit too. Crossmark (rear only) at 40psi if I need pace more than grip. I’m as quick on my FS as my CX bike on anything rougher than tarmac, though partly because I’m not getting shaken to bits!

zippykona

I used to lock my anthem out at the rear but I have just slowed the rebound by 2 clicks and no need to lock out. Perfect.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I did 63 miles in the Peak District, 2800m of ascent. The Peaks is the 2nd hardest area to ride in England. I chose the FS not the Hard Tail. It was a half day ride. 8 hours of riding is about half of a day in June anyway. No camping needed.
    The route even included classics like Jacobs Ladder and Cave Dale.

cokie

Specialized Epic was amazing when i rode it.
    I’d describe that as an XC HT with a little bit of travel.
    Was extremly efficient accross an XC loop I did and just took the sting off.
    I certainly felt more refreshed compared to the XC HT I had at the same time.
    I really rae them. If I had the space I’d have one too.

bigmandh
    Free Member

I’ve got a trek procaliber 9.8 and its brilliant for endurance racing and eating up the climbs. The isospeed is 1 of those things that makes the difference without you realising it. Got the same on my Boone cx bike, front and rear.

Gravel bike is fine for badger divide with 38/40mm tyres. Hardtail would be more fun and comfort on corrieyairack downhill but full suss might be bit overkill (depending on how good and light i.e. expensive a FS it is)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘As efficient as a hardtail….but not a hardtail’ is closed to new replies.