Viewing 18 posts - 241 through 258 (of 258 total)
  • As an Atheist…….
  • derekrides
    Free Member

barnsleymitch – Member
    As an (admittedly crap) Catholic, can I just say that I find this -“‘God’ is just the positive element of ‘The Force'” cringeworthy to the point of wanting to agree with woppit. Please stop it now dereck. You stated yourself, in a since edited post, that you had ‘faith’ but didnt consider yourself religious. I dont know where you’re coming from now, to be honest, but I strongly suspect that you’re just trying to provoke ANY kind of response. Being provocative simply for the sake of it is a bit of an untenable position to maintain.

Forgive me Mr Mitch, in my trollish way I’m trying to illustrate to these fellows that denying the existences of something they don’t fully understand and using it to back a given stance, is hypocrisy..

God is a myriad of things to myriad people..

And she doesn’t like being denied.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Once we’ve passed the ‘blue’ stage we’re in a whole heap of subjectivity.

Indeed. There was a great program a few months back that if a particular language didn’t have a word for ‘blue’ (which some don’t), then your ability to perceive ‘blue’ were very limited.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

“We cannot exist without electromagnetism.”
    And I cannot exist without chips, but I dont try and equate that with a belief in God. Stop trying to dress it up in wooly pseudo scientific terms. Christ, at least I’ve got enough about myself to just say I believe in God and take the inevitable shoeing by saying so. Man up, troll boy!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If you believe in God then you have to accept Satan and vice versa and you’ll find the latter easier to believe in than the former with just a little research

What’s the research that supports the existence of Satan?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Christ, at least I’ve got enough about myself to just say I believe in God and take the inevitable shoeing by saying so. Man up, troll boy!

😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

barnsleymitch – Member
    As an (admittedly crap) Catholic, can I just say that I find this -“‘God’ is just the positive element of ‘The Force'” cringeworthy to the point of wanting to agree with woppit

A breakthrough! 😀

Philosophy is all very well, but all the things that humans have produced that are of use – medicines/aeroplanes/communication devices and so on, have been produced using objective methodology.

They work. Left up to philosophy, we’d still be arguing about whether or not the cave mouth exists to go through…

That’s me done.

Sandwich

ladies and gentlemen, may i recommend natalie portman?

As you’re a medical type whats the dosage?

camo16
    Free Member

I don’t want to carry this on too long either, but…

all the things that humans have produced that are of use – medicines/aeroplanes/communication devices and so on, have been produced using objective methodology.

Unless you talk about things of subjective value.

Left up to philosophy, we’d still be arguing about whether or not the cave mouth exists to go through…

Philosophy may have its weaknesses, but your comment is pretty naive. Arguing that God doesn’t exist and that philosophy doesn’t have a place in the theism argument is like asking someone to do some maths, but giving them only half the numbers.

Me done too.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i am, i’d suggest several times a day… and as much as you could handle at once without blacking out, there is no LD-50 for NP.

B’mitch is my favourite religious person, i’ve decided.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

philconsequence
    B’mitch is my favourite religious person, i’ve decided.

aye – I have had to moderate my words for fear of offending a reasonable man 🙁

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Why thank you, young mr consequence – just dont get on my smiting side. As for the portman, I’d suggest a knocker, QDS. Any higher dose will risk serious chaffing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Philosophy is all very well, but all the things that humans have produced that are of use – medicines/aeroplanes/communication devices and so on, have been produced using objective methodology

Oh good grief.

No-one’s arguing that science doesn’t achieve a lot and make good things.

That’s not the point of this discussion at all.

scuzz
    Free Member

Science. Explains how, but the ‘whys’ run out.
    Some people need a why. Enter God.
    I don’t need a why.
    🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im not keen on Natalie Portman, is there an alternative available?

Northwind

Heh. Looks like I pressed a button. Cheers folks!

Cougar

Im not keen on Natalie Portman, is there an alternative available?

I’m afraid not, you’ll have to make do with a placebo.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Can I have brickshithouse please?

mcboo
    Free Member

I couldnt put it any better than this. Zip right to the very end if you want a very lovely summary about freedom of thought, inquisitiveness and morality without religion.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/video/2011/oct/24/richard-dawkins-video-interview

Viewing 18 posts - 241 through 258 (of 258 total)

The topic ‘As an Atheist…….’ is closed to new replies.