• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Saint Rear Mech for XC…
  • Betamax
    Free Member

…any reason not to?

RealMan
    Free Member

Any reason to?

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

If you’ve already got it going spare and aren’t bothered about it being overbuild (weight) for the job it’ll be doing, then go ahead and use it.

If you’re buying specifically for a build, either save money by going for Deore, or weight by going for XT.

Betamax
    Free Member

I need a new mech.

I like short cages.

Cheaper than XTR.

Might be more durable.

Wibble89
    Free Member

I need a new mech hanger.

FIFY

Is the mech also broken, hard to see in the photo?

RealMan
    Free Member

Short cage XT then?

Whatever did that to your XTR one, would probably still do the same to a saint. But a saint will still do the job, they do work well for close ratios as well.

Betamax
    Free Member

Mech not broken but pivots baggy and twisted.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Saints only about 40g heavier then xt, I run saint on all my nine speed bikes. They are stronger and more importantly the spring is stronger in the mech meaning a more positive shift. Great mech. If your 10spd then you will have to go for either the new ‘clutch’ xtr or whatever it’s called, or if that is too much money go for slx

OCB
    Free Member

I had one on my road bike, and loved it, it’s beautifully made, and will run a big range for the cage length.

I say ‘had’ … I ended up swapping it out for an XT M770 purely because the spring was too much for the bar-end shifters to hold on friction (9spd shifters, 8spd block) and it’d happily ghost shift down the block on long grinding climbs … which was always an unwelcome surprise.

‘Tis safely cleaned up and back in it’s box now awaiting reuse somewhere else. 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Saint Rear Mech for XC…’ is closed to new replies.