Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Art
  • kudos
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Aaron Horkey, I have a “Sigur Ros St Paul” print that I bought last year. I can waste hours looking at the detail. Hisfilm posters like “Two Towers” and “There Will Be Blood” are worth a look too…

Sigur Ros Gig Poster:

[img]http://blog.mondotees.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Horkey-TWBB-archive.jpg[/img]

I’m also a big fan of “Craola”, aka Greg Simpkins. This is The Notetaker…

nach
    Free Member

colornoise:

Hiroshige? That’s quite a tense composition compared to most of his work. Which I also love 🙂

I have an original of this hung on my wall:

A lot of Ukiyo-E prints are fairly inexpensive, because they were produced at such volume. Travellers used to use them to wrap gifts for the journey back to Europe or America.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Monet loved Japanese prints, there are many at his house in France.

RustySpanner

I like Mervyn Peake.

Great writer, great artist too:

Can’t go wrong with a bit of Valette either.
    Big influence on Lowry, love his adopted Northern misberalism:

One of the Manchester paintings:

hora
    Free Member

Love Gregory Crewdson. Hopperesque for me.

This always enthralls me, the balance, the drama, the story it tells so well and Marshal Neys eyes. Knowing what is to come:

binners

RS – did you sea the Valette and Lowry’s exhibited together at the City a couple of years back? A real interesting look at the development of them both.

Just got me thinking about later Impressionist works of Manchester at the other end of the Spectrum. Liam Spencer…..

RustySpanner

Binners, yeah, I did. 🙂

They used to have a couple of Valette’s up at the old Lowry Museum at Salford Uni.

Loved that place, it smelled of school dinners and had creaky floorboards. 😀

Can’t believe how good Mosley Street is these days though.

Colournoise-
    And a choice where I always surprise myself, but Hockney probably understands more about looking than any painter since Picasso.

Amen.

The recent stuff is amazing.

hora
    Free Member

Liam Spencers work just looks like what your eyes see mid-night out on drink and Coke

Aaron Horkey- wow. Thank you. Really like that. Is that Art nouveau? Very nice. Will see if I can buy a print.

Ps. Where did you buy?

binners

Colournoise-
    And a choice where I always surprise myself, but Hockney probably understands more about looking than any painter since Picasso.

Amen.
    The recent stuff is amazing.

He’s still the most dynamic and relevant British artist, and his recent work eclipses all the pretentious, emperors-new-clothes, Saatchi-esque Britart bollocks, and shows it up for what it is.

I really wanted to go down to London and see the new work at the Royal Academy, but tickets were limited and eye-wateringly expensive, which was disappointing. Bloody Yorkshiremen! 😉

RustySpanner

Quick PSA for all norvern art monkeys, this is still on at the The Whitaker in Rawtenstall.

Wall of Sound and Vision

Posters of a Music Revolution

Friday 27th June 2014

Sunday 27th July 2014

This much talked about exhibition focuses on the music explosion that happened in the North West of England during the late 1970?s, and uses long archived posters to evoke this vibrant period and revisit the places, telling the stories of those involved, some familiar, others less so.

Well worth a visit.
    Lovely place too.

kudos
    Free Member

Aaron Horkey- wow. Thank you. Really like that. Is that Art nouveau? Very nice. Will see if I can buy a print.

There’s a big scene in the US for reimagined film posters. Horkey is the movement’s poster boy (excuse the pun). He has a very distinctive, meticulously graphic style with a lot of recurring elements – I think he’s a little troubled!

Expresso Beans is the best place to find out about his work and stuff by artists working in that field such as Laurent Durieux and Ken Taylor.

Horkey’s prints are often released at fairly sensible prices (if you can get them) but go for silly money on the second hand market. Well worth tracking down though, especially if, like me, you’re a fan of graphic arts and silk screen printing.

Glad you liked! 😀

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Jeff Gogue

binners

RS – is it the same one that was on at the Lowry recently? If thats the one, it made me feel very old. Nothing like seeing your youth on the walls of a gallery, with the word ‘retrospective’ attached, to make you feel like a proper old giffer. If you look at that Sankeys poster, its 20 years old!!!! 😯 Pass the Werthers Originals will you old chap

hora
    Free Member

kudos thanks for pleasuring my eyes 😯 😆

RustySpanner

That’s the one Binners. 🙂

And yes.
    I felt very old indeed.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve always found Bosch fascinating

I also once spent an afternoon in the art museum in Amsterdam totally fascinated by the miniatures on display – I couldn’t link to any because you simply have so see them to appreciate them.

brooess
    Free Member

MC Escher’s stuff – trying to follow the visual logic sends you round in circles and you end up just staring at it

also, this. There was a video version of it in the Tate Modern – spurious but utterly compelling links which ‘show’ that Morrissey predicted the death of Diana.

On the one hand it’s utterly mad and shows how strange conspiracy theorists are, on the other, the sheer amount of detailed research they delivered to put it together deserves respect…

THE DIANA-MORRISSEY PHENOMENON

Diana-Morrissey Phenomenon

August 31, 1978:
    19 year-old Steven Morrissey first meets guitarist Johnny Marr,
    the one who will launch Morrissey’s career several years later
    by aggressively enlisting him to co-found a band: The Smiths.

August 31, 1997:
    19 years to-the-day since Morrissey met guitarist Johnny Marr,
    Princess Diana is killed under circumstances foreshadowed
    in Morrissey’s work, beginning with an album by The Smiths.

kayak23

I like a bit of illustration me..
    Jamie Hewlett

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some lovely variety of tastes here, folks!

johndoh
    Free Member

And if I am allowed to consider photography as art….

scotia
    Free Member

Coulournoise – who is the artist for the 2nd painting you showed? Like it a lot!

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of data art. These are some of the things which adorn my walls:

rogermoore

Saw this in Venice last month, many times as we stayed nearby, and loved it. Looked incredibly different depending on the time of day, at night it was lit up which unfortunately isn’t pictured on the link.
    RM.

CountZero

Nice to see other Rothko fans on here, I particularly like the two that have been posted up, rather more than the Red And Black ones in Tate Modern.
    I was able to get to the big Hockney exhibition at the RA, absolutely amazing, and his continual investigation and use of technology to create new works is inspiring; paintings done on an iPad printed off around 9′ tall!
    I also saw an exhibition of this gentleman’s work a while back, and I loved this one, there’s such a wistful air about it:

CountZero

I’ve been trying to find a pic of his best known work, Nighthawks At The Diner but all the ones I can find have been messed with.
    This bloke knows his way around a block of wood, you have to see an original to grasp just how fine the detail is:

Colin See-Paynton

RustySpanner

As a soppy teenager, I had a big thing for this:

Not good, is it? 😀
    I cringe just thinking about it.

It was at the top of the staircase, facing you, in Manchester Art Gallery for years.

I liked it so much that my mates bought me a framed copy for my 18th and it’s been on a wall, somewhere, everywhere I’ve lived since.

I really don’t know what I think of it anymore.

Time to ‘rotate’ it I think. 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Thanks to Ben Cooper for the Swedish stuff.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Marina Abramovi? – ‘The Artist is Present’

Found this shattering/moving – still do, in a way that would be wasted by words. But read this essential preamble first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4lp4w8lNYs

Just wow- I blubbed!

ElShalimo

I dunno why but Igor Mitoraj’s work really appeals to me.

This piece was at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park for years but it seems to have been moved recently.

I saw an exhibition in a Plaza Maria Pita in A Coruña a few years ago on holiday and it was stunning. To be able to walk in and around the pieces day and night was fab.

The image below reminds me of a lot of the big hitters on here

BoardinBob

I’m biased as he’s a friend, but I love Ryan Mutter’s work

onewheelgood

I’m not a religious person at all, but when I came round the corner in the museum in Glasgow and saw this it took my breath away.

It has to be seen in the flesh (or paint).

Klunk
    Free Member
    JulianA
    Free Member

Simply the most amazing painting I’ve ever seen.

Only seeing it for real can do it justice.

I have also stood and wondered at Manet’s Olympia and Rousseau’s Snake Charmer and quite few others in the Musee d’Orsay.

Love some of the other pictures here too.

JulianA
    Free Member

Also see

Maxfield Parish
    Michael Parkes

Love most Pre-Raphaelite art… So much great art still to see – and to discover, it would seem!

There’s a CR Nevinson or two in the Southampton art gallery which are worth a look if you like Vorticists and are down that way – also a great John Martyn: Sadak In Search Of The Waters Of Oblivion.

Sandham Memorial Chapel near Newbury is also very thought-provoking.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Art’ is closed to new replies.