Home Forum Chat Forum Art

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Art
  • I saw the water in London could look at it for hours .

Gregory Crewdson:

Edward Burtynsky:

Paintings by Georges Braque.

I make a point of seeing it whenever I’m in London. I’m not a religious man but its got particularl resonance for me.

There’s not another blue I like better.

There’s also something beautiful about old machinery drawings – they’re perhaps more craft than pure art, but beautifully drawn intricate machines are wonderful to look at. I’ve got a set of books of which have fold-out diagrams of machine tools and engines which are gorgeous if you like that sort of thing:

More pics…

There’s not another blue I like better

International Klein blue

Robert Bechtel

Simon Stalenhag, who I found via this very forum:

Alan Stones – Eden Panorama (obviously looks better at full scale)

The area I grew up in, captured magnificently.

Andy Holdsworthy – Rowan Leaves Laid Around Hole

The first artist I “got” as a young child and still gives me a brilliant little kick of childish whimsy every time.

Albrecht Durer – Great Piece of Turf

I’m not sure I have a reason for that one, it’s just a superb thing.

Rembrant – Elephant

Because it’s just a wonderful thing, a simple doodle carried out with supreme skill.

it’s Rothko No14. Doesn’t look much does it?, but in real life it’s just utterly breath taking. the layers of paint are just unbelievable, had me staring at it endlessly, couldn’t move away, and it just draws you into it. It’s normally in San Fransisco, but I was lucky that it as in New York when we went there a few years back.

Premier Icon somafunk

3rd attempt, it’s hard to find a rothko you can link to.

Does it for me, i can sit for hours and just stare at them

Ahh, some one else is a rothko fan, a few years ago i took the early train down to london from dumfries just to see the Rothko exhibition at the Tate, spent all day staring at his work then got the late train back up that night – one of the most meditative/contemplative and surreal days out i have ever had…and that was without any drugs.

Premier Icon Stoner

ben – I was about to link to the same guy. I think it was my post that originally put him up in here.

Im trying really hard not to buy one of the recently departed David Prentice works. Well known round these parts for his Malvern Hills works.

Premier Icon molgrips

I couldn’t post a favourite, but here’s something I like:

Things that you like. No reason or rhyme, just things that you like.

I do love a little bit of vorticism

And I can’t help but feel moved by this, every time I see it.

Oh, and then there’s this

And, this,

Hard to choose just one artist and I’d like to post lots but don’t want to spam the thread so here is one by Paul Nash.

Premier Icon jambalaya

@CFH top thread proposal, will get searching for some links. “Small world” re Whistlejacket, it’s the name of the business I created, grew and then buried ! Truely stunning when you see it in the gallery.

Philip Guston

Premier Icon Northwind

I’m a pleb but +1 for Whistlejacket, it really is an incredible piece of work. And just round the corner, Fighting Temeraire- there’s something about Turner’s skies.

But I’m a sucker for Lusieri, strange how a brush can capture a thing or a place better than a photo…

Premier Icon nach

Rothko No14. Doesn’t look much does it?, but in real life it’s just utterly breath taking.

I never thought much of Rothko after seeing his work in books, but similarly to you, seeing it in person was absolutely mesmerising.

I like these … very good also very funny.

Great that someone mentioned David Prentice. RIP. I remain grateful and just a little starstruck for him attending my first photography exhibition all those years ago in Malvern. Speaking with him right then I felt like a shabby junior businessman next to this sternfriendly teacher-sorcerer. He was a grand wizard who painted Gerontiun dreams alongside just masterful realist landscapes – blending zen, passion and proper artschool graft to a seemingly impossible harmonic pitch on the canvas, nailing the (whatever) medium completely. Happy to say he is one of the reasons I found the courage and began painting again.

pure mastery

Premier Icon nach

Frans Masereel was an incredible printmaker:

And if you say Mondrian, you’re wrong.

Mackenzie Thorpe

Alasdair Gray

Colin Rose

Premier Icon mikewsmith

Sydney Nolan’s the Snake

Wim Delvoyle
    and from the same Tatto Tim

You need to read about the last one here to appreaciate it.

Arnold Böcklin

I’ve got a large print of this hanging in my lounge – always brings a smile to my face

Marina Abramovi? – ‘The Artist is Present’

Found this shattering/moving – still do, in a way that would be wasted by words. But read this essential preamble first

a bit more yves klein

Premier Icon colournoise

Absolutely agree with Goldsworthy and Rothko (you NEED to see them in the flesh though – no photograph can reproduce the almost magical effect of his use of paint layers).

Would add some artists (rather than single artworks) of my own (among many others – the curse of being an art teacher is that there are so many to choose from).

An oldie but (astonishingly) goodie.

Amazing contemporary landscaper painter (again, really need to be seen in the flesh to be appreciated).

Another landscapeist. Sorry.

And a choice where I always surprise myself, but Hockney probably understands more about looking than any painter since Picasso.

Premier Icon binners

Another unashamed Rothko fan. I think I love them so much because they constantly baffle me as to why I love them so much. I don’t understand how they make me feel. I don’t understand the emotions they bring to the surface in me. I can’t comprehend what it is that makes them so powerful. Whatever it is, its subconscious and subliminal. I’m not even sure the emotions are positive. But they remind me that I’m alive. And how many things in your life provoke that sentiment?

Whenever I went to London I’d go to the Tate Britain and sit in the Rothko room, and stare at them for hours. It’d make me very emotional, and confuse me as to why in equal measure. But I’d always go. Preferably early morning, midweek. When its quiet. Like a pilgrimage.

Since they’ve moved them to the Tate Modern its taken some of that away. Its too busy. And its stolen the reverence they deserve. People view them flippantly. They pass by them. You should never do that. You need to sit in silence and try and make sense of them. You won’t. But maybe thats the point.

Premier Icon brant

No contribution from Hora yet?

I’ve just bought myself a Liam Spencer original. And Liam’s on a skills day with Oxley today. Unrelated. Sort of.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner

There’s a cracking Liam Spencer in the foyer of North Manchester Hospital.

Good thread.

Premier Icon binners

I always buy original art when I’ve (increasingly rarely) got any spare cash. Heres the last thing I bought, which I love. By Manchester graffiti artist Raid 71. I spotted it in a gallery, and I wanted it. Later that same day, Mrs Binners sent me a picture message, saying ‘I’ve just spotted this. We NEED this!’. And there it was again. It appears it was just meant to be up, pride of place, in our front room

Love it! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Art’ is closed to new replies.