Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Armoured shorts.
  • Ambrose

After Mrs Ambrose fell of her bike last week she ended up with a fractured pelvis. Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable wear that might protect her should she fall on her hip in a similar way?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How hard did she fall? Do you want psychological protection or something better?

Had the much lighter bib set of these OK for general stuff but a big impact at least it would hold it all in place

Ambrose

She hit the ground hard. Needs protection and reassurance to boost her confidence. She is determined to come back to the ride to deal with it, slay her demons as it were.

Morzine in the wet is very slippy .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah but chances of landing on rocks is a bit less than elsewhere. Sounds like it’s mental protection she needs for a bit or just to get out somewhere less stressful. Question not for her at this stage is what would have prevented the injury?

Northwind

I wore 661 Evos for a long time after I broke my hip- not just to protect the injury but also because the entire leg was just generally easier to upset, and even reducing everyday brusing in a fall was still really worthwhile.

The big thing i found was that half the shorts I tried just didn’t really cover the right parts at all- you got massive thigh protectors which realyl aren’t that useful, and not enough around the bony protrusions. So that’d be my only really useful advice, fit is realyl important.

POC’s ones would have been great for me except for the stupid wee chamois.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I really like my 661 Evo compression shorts but good luck finding them in stock. Also Raceface do something similar (Flank I think) but I haven’t tried them personally. As per Northwind fit is super import and these have D3O in just the right spot for me.

Also have Gform and they’re okay but the sizing seems a bit hit and miss.

chipster

I have some TLD Moto shorts that I got in a sale a few years ago. They seem to be made of heavy duty fabric and have removable foam pads (velcro fastening) in the hips.

They’re warm in summer, but I still wear them if I’m going anywhere gnarr.

StirlingCrispin

I use POC Hip VPD 2.0 Unisex Protective Shorts which have excellent protection.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/POC-Hip-Unisex-Protective-Shorts/dp/B006L25UJW

I also have  Evoc Crash pants. A bit breathier than the POC shorts and slightly less complete protection but no idea how they’d compare in a crash.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evoc-12804-Crash-Pants/dp/B00KC3X51G

paton
    Free Member

Dainese impact shorts

grahamt1980

The absolute best I have found are the forcefield ones.

I use them for dh and snowboarding. Have taken a number of hits including one on the board that had me feeling like I had dislocated something in my ass. I am sure I would have spent weeks sitting on an inflatable ring had I not been wearing them

duncancallum

I have some Fox ones after my hip replacement I found they offered a confidence boost.

Don’t wear them now though you stop being paranoid

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Armoured shorts.’ is closed to new replies.