Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Are you in the top 50 places to live?
  • badnewz
    Free Member

The top 50 list has changed quite a bit this year – the top 10 used to be dominated by areas in the East of England. But the whole region is suffering from people moving from/escaping London, without the infrastructure to support the population growth.
    The population of Hertfordshire, for example, has doubled in the last 20 years – now over a million people live there.
    When I think of the South East, I think traffic. I now think the same of the East. If you can work remotely then I’d recommend the South West or a nice village up north.

IdleJon

When I think of the South East, I think traffic.

+1

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I was born in Hart, I now live about 15 miles down the road toward Winchester, but still work in Hart and have family here.

For balance, it is populated by over entitled arrogant tosser’s who obviously feel that they have ‘made it’ to be living here while merrily tearing the soul out of the place for the last 25 years or so.

Oh, and the traffic. Trying to drive a car across town in Fleet takes about twice the time it does by bike. And the attitude of the drivers (generalising a bit here but this is from experience)over entitled arrogant tosser’s

Yes, there is a nice pond and a canal. But will you even get a smile let alone a hello from anyone you happen across while walking around them. No.

There is lots of land to ride bikes on, all owned by the MoD.

MrSmith
    Free Member

These lists are meaningless.
    Any particular location could be utopia or hell depending on your outlook or circumstances.
    I find the idea of Guildford abhorrent but 60,000 chose to reside there.

If Orkney is so wonderful how come more people haven’t moved there?

MrSmith
    Free Member

When I think of the South East, I think traffic.

When I think of the north I think rain, tanning salons and middle aged men in white trainers/static inducing ‘sportswear’ using a lot of hair gel.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It isn’t wonderful.

It can be pretty good for a couple of weeks in summer but in the winter it’s terrible. Dark, cold and wet.

jimdubleyou

Love to, it’s a hell of a long way to commute though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Oh hang on…

1 Edinburgh
    2 Solihull
    3 Hertfordshire
    4 Northumberland
    5 South Lanarkshire
    6 Berkshire
    7 Darlington
    8 North Lanarkshire
    9 York
    10 Inverclyde, East Renfrewshire & Renfrewshire

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/11948329/The-best-and-worst-places-to-live-in-the-UK-ranked-by-quality-of-life.html

And I am sure the local radio in Harrogate keep banging on about how they are the best place to live in the UK…

grum
    Free Member

When I think of the north I think rain, tanning salons and middle aged men in white trainers/static inducing ‘sportswear’ using a lot of hair gel.

Yes good point, you never see any of those things in Essex. 😆

loddrik
    Free Member

No point me contributing to the thread… 😐

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yes good point, you never see any of those things in Essex.

Essex is in the north 🙂
    But then Croydon is to the south…

BillMC

5th. Only time I’ve ever bought a house simply because I wanted to live somewhere.

dovebiker

Been a Fleet resident for 25 years – more out of chance than choice, but since then seen little need to move. Lived in Glasgow, Essex, W. Midlands and worked all over the UK and a bit of the world. The place itself is nothing special, but crime is low, employment is good and it’s easy to get to lots of other things. The traffic can be awful, but I don’t have to drive much and I know the roads and trails well enough to have a great time. I always laugh at the attitude of some, thinking it’s some sort of conspiracy by southerners. For me, the fact was that the same opportunity wasn’t available to me in Scotland when I left University in 1987 and I had to move to find it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whenever I see a list like that I assume that some weighting has been given to average earnings. Which is ironic given that in half the areas listed, people on bigger salaries will have less disposable income once their massive mortgages/rent are taken out.

Wokingham always does disproportionately well, I suspect because of this.

Of the two places I’ve lived since leaving uni, one was a former mining village in North Yorkshire, the other was Wokingham. I’d take the mining village and the grand a month I’d save on the mortgage. Which is wierd, because up there there was a constant stream of people leaving to go work in London, I wonder how many come back after a couple of years.

thomthumb
    Free Member

top 50 places where houses are overpriced?

langylad
    Free Member

Spot on Mr Smith, we all live in terraced houses, own whippets and until today worked down t’pit as well. Please don’t ever risk moving up here 😀

slimjim78
    Free Member

Same can be said for most of the south east, imo.

I disagree, many areas around the North and South Downs are superb, including for riding. And if you pick your location carefully, then traffic needent be an issue either.

Dorking was best area I ever lived and had to move away for reasons out of my control unfortunately, I’ve now manged to re-settle in the South Downs area and again the riding is really good – plus traffic is nothing like M25 commuter belt area if you stay away from fringe of Brighton particularly.

No-one around you for miles often during local hill top walks and rides, quaint little historical villages dotted around and panoramic views of the downs and South Coast. Its a lovely place.

epicsteve
    Free Member

That list looks total bollocks. I have homes in Edinburgh and London and split my time between both and am certain that Edinburgh is a better place to live than the majority of places on that top-50 list.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Certainly not the top 50 places to live for mountainbikers!

earl_brutus

yep no 10 here, its ace for road biking, less so for MTB.

Caher

I see a good few of these places are near Reading but not Reading.

Dickyboy

I knew it was tosh before i clicked the link, just what in hell made me do that?

No 3 for the record…

BadlyWiredDog

You won’t believe what happened next…

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Halifax are part of the group that owes me £20,000,000,000 cos they couldn’t find their backside with both arms tied behind their back.

So it’s fair to say I am a little circumspect with regard to anything they say or do. Or even when they are not doing anything.

And where i typed “me” I obviously meant “everyone” but, let’s be honest, and in the spirit of HBOS, I’m a trustworthy Mervyn King and I’m not going to wee it up the wall or spend it on party food.

I live in M23. Pretty much everywhere is “up” from here.

benp1

This lists are always controversial, you always want where you live to have some form of recognition

If you like where you live then you win. If you don’t, move!

(I do and so I win)

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

When did Albans move to the east of England?

Grim up north? Moved north from Hertfordshire 3 years ago best thing I ever done

jekkyl

The list is wrong, I’ve scoured it several times but can’t seem to find Stoke-on-Trent.

Drac

Nope as I live in Northumberland which apparently is grim.

cheers_drive

Number 12 – East Cambridgeshire, I think it was number 1 before we moved here a few years ago 😐
    Despite the high placing I’d still dispute that some of the measures are at all applicable to quality of life.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve been to Orkney and it was nice enough. Best place to live in Scotland though? Never – not even in the top 10 IMHO.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Me too and totally agree with the principle but being a massive county it’s never going to compete with the areas at the top of the list. If say Hexhamshire or Alnwick District were in there I suspect they’d do better than 191st.

Drac

Alnwick is the best place to live.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2379743.stm

IdleJon

You can actually see the wind in that first photo …. 😆

richardkennerley

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/top-10-worst-places-to-live-in-the-uk-a6704046.html

no 6 on the worst list for me…. sunny Blackpool. lovely stuff.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I live in Horsell, close to Guidford and Mole Valley.

My reasoning was that if it was good enough for the Martians it is good enough for me…

DezB
    Free Member

Some of those cities are nice, AS LONG AS YOU DON’T TRY TO LEAVE! Winchester for example – traffic is a nightmare. Most of the South East is clogged with cars. Its shit.

njee20
    Free Member

15th.

There are always going to be people saying “I live in the north, it’s nice”. But there’s a modicum of fact supporting this. Wages are lower. Life expectancies are shorter. Unemployment is higher. Crime is higher. Etc. It’s not black and white, but there’s some basis in it.

It’s not been done on prettiness. So photos of the Northumberland coast seem pretty irrelevant!

I’m happy down here!

Edric64
    Free Member

Eastleigh is a toilet and most of Guildford is rank

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Eastleigh is a toilet and most of Guildford is rank

Guildford is alright – the high street(s) are not as uniform as many places.

it is mainly the people in Guildford that bring it down.

And some bits of it are downright evil…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvxCHRFaWuE[/video]

vickypea
    Free Member

Wages may be higher in the south east but so are house prices.
    I’ve turned down a job move to the south east as I think my home in the north west is a better place to live. Anyway I doubt we could sell our 2-up-2-down here and even buy a garden shed down south with the money.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Are you in the top 50 places to live?’ is closed to new replies.