Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)
  • Are tellys like penises?
  • vlad_the_invader

Mines only 37 and I feel it’s a little inadequate these days. I’m gonna get a new one and I thought 55 would be plenty but the missus is eyeing up a 65 whopper.

So, what do you have? FWIW, I like to be sat about 2.5 metres away from the action.

Finbar

julians
    Free Member

49″ here, although thats starting to feel small

cookeaa

I think mine is 65″, so is the telly…

scuttler

Your relationship is proper weird if your missus wants a bigger telly than you. Be worried.

General consensus on here is bigger is better but it is an arms race. I bought a big telly for a house extension and two years later a bigger one for the lounge. The one in the extension is officially too small.

Kryton57

46 inch 10yo Samsung here. It works, no need to upgrade.

beej

27″ here. It’s not the size, it’s how you use it that matters.

ElShalimo

We’ve got a ~10 yr old 42″ Panasonic. It’s good but we moved the lounge furniture around and we’re now sat about 1m further away from it. It is noticeable

If you’re only 2.5m away 40-odd inch should be fine

tjagain

As in its good to have one and fine to enjoy it but please don’t wave it around in public?

twistedpencil

43″ here, but backed up by a 102″ projector for when feeling overwhelmed when stood at the urinals…

Edit, sorry TJ, I’ll put it away 😉

jam-bo

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

tell her it gets bigger if she gets closer…

matt_outandabout

I’ve no idea of the size of mine. It was second hand off Gumtree with a digibox for £100 about 9 years ago. However I’m quite content, as is my wife, with the performance and enjoyment we get, so neither of us will change it unless it stops functioning.

DickBarton

32″ and for what crap I watch, it is plenty big enough (currently Dukes of Hazzard from the 80s).

qwerty
    Free Member

Who remembers the ’80s when having a mini 4″ TV in your kitchen complete with telescopic aerial was the height of cool?

vlad_the_invader

As in its good to have one and fine to enjoy it but please don’t wave it around in public?

Curtains will be closed. Don’t want the nosey neighbours to feel overwhelmed…

theotherjonv

Most of the time there’s nothing on it to entertain me?

vlad_the_invader

Who remembers the ’80s when having a mini 4″ TV in your kitchen complete with telescopic aerial was the height of cool?

My dad had one of those! He used to take it to work and whip it out on the night shift, when no one was looking

Finbar

pandhandj
    Free Member

Mine is 51 yo now but my wife has never complained! She doesnt even mind putting 50p in it to get it going! 😜

v7fmp

55 in the kitchen/diner and 65 in the lounge….. all the inches!!!

Both are a few years old now tho, so none of that 8k OLED fango dango, just regular 4k affairs.

ultimately tho… go big or go home! 🙂

maccruiskeen

Depends a lot on what you watch, or whats interesting to you in what you watch. Will the things you enjoy be better – stories be more interesting, information be more informative if the screen they are on is bigger? I’m not seeking to be immersed in the things I watch – don;’t need the screen to fill my field of view or have the sound all around me. I dont go and sit right at the front at the cinema. I just like to be interested in what I see

Theres a bit of a pressure towards gradually towards bigger screens in that the content produced assumes larger screens. We were perfectly happy with the CRT tv we had but a point came where any text on screen was too small because there was a presumption the screen it was on would be nearly twice the size. But I dont think there would be information or detail that you’d be unable to see on a 40″ screen.

MSP

Do you even wash dishes by hand bro?

molgrips
    Free Member

I feel like TV programmes are being filmed now with bigger TVs in mind these days.

Part of it is room design too. Our living room has a door on one side and a big window on the other, so the sofa kind of has to go on the one wall and the TV opposite. This means you’re sat facing a big blank wall, so it really needs a big (ish) TV to fit on it. Looks rubbish with a small one.

Ours isn’t even 4K even though we have mega broadband that could power it. The resolution would be useless at the viewing distance but the dynamic range might be nice. But I can’t justify replacing a perfectly functional TV. Well, I say perfectly functional – the processor in it is so under powered it takes 5 minutes before it can actually respond to your user inputs which is a sodding pain.

sirromj

Probably. Don’t know how big mine is, 2nd hand from father in law. But I do like to brag about how I can wave it around at any angle, pull it in or out and retract to back into the corner when not in use. Think its around 47″ and errrr couldn’t really fit much larger. Mid terrace we don’t really have any big blank walls, hence the very positionable mounting arm.

vlad_the_invader

Part of it is room design too. Our living room has a door on one side and a big window on the other, so the sofa kind of has to go on the one wall and the TV opposite. This means you’re sat facing a big blank wall, so it really needs a big (ish) TV to fit on it. Looks rubbish with a small one.

Definitely an element of this, and we don’t have a Van Gogh to gaze at instead. I’m also getting on a bit and we have a laptop hooked up to the existing screen and use it for browsing as well as Netflix/Prime/You Tube etc. Text is getting harder to read at the distance the sofa is away from the screen.

I thought 55 would be more than enough but, apparently, it should be 65 at 2+ metres away…and looking at the tellys on display in the shops, that seems a bit “in your face” but <sales talk>”everyone gets used to it and wouldn’t go back to a smaller size” </sales talk>

robola

Don’t get caught up in those viewing distance charts, they are nonsense. Buy the one that suits your room.

Having said that, I sit about the same distance away and went for 65 over a 55. And guess what, we all got used to it and I wouldn’t want a smaller one now.

richardkennerley

There’s a calculation to do which tells you how big it should be. A workmate was adamant that I should’ve bought a 65 but I thought better, no that’s too big, 55 will be fine i said. Well it is fine…. But I should’ve bought the 65. That would be better.

kayak23

Just went from about a 29″ to a 32″.
    Secondhand for £45 so pretty happy.
    Wouldn’t go bigger. Big tellys look ridiculous in most of the little houses around my manor.

welshfarmer

dc1988

I’m still using a 32″ that’s almost 15 years old, I used to eye up something larger but I’ve now reached the point of bloody mindedness where I refuse to upgrade until my current one dies.

I think TV’s have reached the point where they often look too big and it’s not something I’m keen on having.

Dickyboy

Well no woman has ever called me “Bigus Tellyus” 😉

simon_g

55 at 2.5m away. Could have gone lower end 65 or oled 55 and pleased I went for the smaller better screen. Although it was replacing an old 42 so still looks huge.

nbt

Are tellys like penises

Yes, tellys are like penises in the same way that cars are like penises

We have a 32″ telly in the lounge at about 2.5m. Read into that what you will

the-muffin-man

40″ here – any bigger and wouldn’t fit into the slot available.

jimmy

32″ here, doesn’t look big these days but it has a thickness that’s others don’t

IHN

32″ Sony, probably 12 years old. It’s fine.

scotroutes

Failing eyesight is an issue. Just age related. I very, very rarely watch TV but mi missus dies and we upgraded about 18 months ago. The good thing out of that is the previous 42″ is now my Zwift monitor.

zilog6128

Could have gone lower end 65 or oled 55 and pleased I went for the smaller better screen.

I used to think that way, then thought **** it and bought a refurb 70” Philips LED (so very much mid-range) for way less than the smaller OLED I was saving for. You know what? Bigger is better 😂 Literally the biggest one that will fit in between the wall & the chimney breast. Initially seemed massive & the mrs was horrified but after a week even she admitted it’s great 😊. Ambilight is a nice gimmick too!

Was replacing an ancient 37” non-4K plasma and it’s like going from b&w to full colour. We probably watch 2-3 hours telly each evening in the winter months so it’s well worth it. I admire the devout technophobes on here though. Keep fighting the good, low-res fight 😀

doris5000

mine’s about 30″ ish. We couldn’t fit a much bigger one in the alcove, although the bezels are quite large so when it conks out we’ll be able to get a bit of a bigger screen in the same sized box.

doris5000

We probably watch 2-3 hours telly each evening in the winter months so it’s well worth it.

tbf that IS worth it. I don’t watch 2-3 hours a week, let alone per day. And MrsDoris doesn’t seem bothered either way!

tjagain

I have a 43″.  Its effing huge and dominates a decent sized room even on a swiveling arm so I can tuck it away

MrSparkle

Are tellys like penises?

I hope not – I haven’t got a TV… :-0

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.