Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)
  • Are tellys like penises?
  • TiRed

32″ and curved, but push the right buttons and it transforms into a mighty 108″ as it descends from the ceiling. Frankly anything less than 100″ is just trying too hard and not succeeding. If you want “cinematic” experiences you have to go bigger.

Flaperon

The 55 inch OLED I bought eight years ago is still going strong. I would replace it with a 65 inch if it stops working, but that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen any time soon.

It absolutely drinks electricity with a bright picture, averaging 350W while it’s on. Keeps the living room warm though. Don’t know if the newer ones are any better, but unless you go mini-LED you’re not going to get close to the picture quality.

Keva
    Free Member

I think mines a 32″. Small cheap one from Tescos that I bought about 8yrs ago, sits in the corner. There is no way in a million years I’d have one of those huge wall mounted things, fugly as. blurrrgh.

soundninjauk

Had a 32″ LED for the last decade or so but when we moved from our old flat into a house at the start of the year I took the opportunity to upgrade to a 50″ LED HDR jobby and I’m so glad I did it’s glorious. It sits on a TV unit rather than being wall mounted though, I’m always surprised at how high people mount them.

ads678

49″ here, fits our room nicely. Probably could go bogger but don’t want the TV to be whole focus of the room.

I needed to go bigger as my old eyes were struggling to see things on the 32″ we had previously.

zilog6128

It absolutely drinks electricity with a bright picture, averaging 350W while it’s on. Keeps the living room warm though. Don’t know if the newer ones are any better

130W for my 70”!

igm

The good thing out of that is the previous 42″ is now my Zwift monitor.

There’s nothing good about Zwift.  IMHO

andrewh
    Free Member

I don’t have one but my girlfriend does.
    So no

Superficial
    Free Member

I’d always thought that having a big telly kinda suggests you use it too much. In effect it’s spending money to look like a worse person.

See also: massive SUVs. But I feel a bit like Walt off of the Big Lebowski (“Has the whole world gone CRAZY?”). It seems like I’m an outlier so maybe I’m the one who is crazy. Buy whatever TV you want?

Cougar

We needed a new TV. My girlfriend said “can we get something bigger, my eyesight isn’t that great.”

Which is totally the only reason that I spent two weeks’ salary on a 75″ telly.

willard

It took ages to find a 4k TV that would fit the cupboard I wanted it in, but it was totally worth it. When the cupboard is closed, the TV is hidden and makes the lounge look nice. I think it’s a 42″ Samsung, but I can’t be sure.

A mate just bought a new apartment that had a 77″ fitted to one was as part of the previous owner’s home cinema. The guy could not be bothered to move it and so sold it with the apartment to my mate.

Poopscoop

Are tellys like penises?

Yes they are, break your tv you get a new one, break your cock, toot get a new one.

All the best,
    Robocock.

stumpy01

43″ TV here. Chosen partly as if we went any bigger, there would be a semi-valid argument for getting rid of my floorstanding speakers (and all the stuff that goes with them) which I would not be happy about.

But – when you sit on the sofa at the other end of the room (we don’t, often) then the TV does look a little twee.
    I imagine when it comes to updgrade we’ll be going for 55″ or larger.

tonyd

Our lounge is about 5m x 4m, because of the layout the TV and sofa are about as far away as they can get. 6 years ago we upgraded from a 32″ Panasonic to a 55″ Samsung and it was overwhelming. I thought I was going to get a crick in my neck from watching people go left to right on screen. It also tended to stutter a little which I guess was a slow processor and large screen combo. Sent it back after 2 weeks and exchanged for a 48″ which was much better. Now it is starting to feel small though, although I probably need an eye test as I can’t really read the menu now even with glasses on!

zilog6128

I thought I was going to get a crick in my neck from watching people go left to right on screen.

that is strange. Can you not move your eyes without moving your head? Have you never been to the cinema? 🤔

there would be a semi-valid argument for getting rid of my floorstanding speakers (and all the stuff that goes with them)

never even bothered putting them in when we moved house a couple of years ago (all still boxed up in loft!) Speaker tech has come on massively, plus streaming music has meant listening habits have hugely changed. “Proper” speakers just aren’t needed anymore.

It took ages to find a 4k TV that would fit the cupboard I wanted it in, but it was totally worth it. When the cupboard is closed, the TV is hidden and makes the lounge look nice.

that is quite weird, you must be aware? Almost Victorian-style thinking (out of sight, out of mind 😃) But whatever makes you happy!

reluctantjumper

I’ve got a 12 year old 32″ Samsung, the generation before they started putting inbuilt Smart stuff so it’s HD with HDMI sockets but nothing that needs updates etc. It’s outlived 3 separate FireTV sticks in it’s lifetime!
    Still going strong, well I presume so anyway as I unplugged it back in the spring when doing a full clean and it’s never been back on since! Tend to watch stuff on the computer these days, mainly YouTube, so never needed to switch the thing back on. May look at using it for my Zwift setup as the height it’s at would be perfect for that thinking about it.

mmannerr

I watch mostly Youtube videos on our big TV, some of the MTB videos shake so much that they are nicer to watch from phone screen.

stumpy01

zilog6128

never even bothered putting them in when we moved house a couple of years ago (all still boxed up in loft!) Speaker tech has come on massively, plus streaming music has meant listening habits have hugely changed. “Proper” speakers just aren’t needed anymore.

Horses for courses, but I don’t really see what streaming music has to do with it?
    I’ve got a Chromecast Audio plugged into the back of the amp, so can stream what I want & have got various other ‘smart’ speakers around the house so can have music ‘everywhere’, ‘upstairs’, ‘downstairs’ etc. And they’re all on Google thingie, so my daughter can ask for her playlist or whatever in the room she’s in.
    The smart speakers are good for their size (the audio pro one I have in my office is great), but…..nah, they aren’t the same. And I prefer stereo, to mono as well.
    Speaker tech might have moved on, but they can’t beat the laws of physics. My floorstanders are compact compared to a lot of others (TDL RTLII MkIIs) and are only powered by a 20w NAD amp, but they’ll still play deeper notes & tones that a small speaker can’t even replicate.

But, yeah. We could probably do with a bigger TV next time round.

jeffl

Victorian house here. Used to have a 32″ that sat in the alcove next to the fireplace quite nicely. Then we got a switch so needed a bigger TV for Mario Kart. That was two Christmases ago now.

The smallest decent TV I could very was 43″ which reading reviews was what people put in their kitchen! Is at a bit of an angle but works.

Lounge with tv

Anyway will be moving house soon and am looking at ultra short throw projectors. Not that I’ll have any money left after moving costs and such like!

winston
    Free Member

We just upgraded our 10 yr old 32″ to a 50″ Samsung Frame. Totally recommend. It comes with a wall mount that allows it to sit on the wall like a picture and shows art when the TV is off. Should have got a 65″ as it totally disappears on the wall. To be honest I spend more time looking at the art than TV – you can get thousands of pictures and with a couple of other pictures mounted next to it the TV just blends in – no more black mirror which is another reason why a 65″ would have been fine

Pyro

I don’t have one.

… A telly, not a penis. Have the latter, not the former.

chewkw
    Free Member

32″ but that died after 6 years.

Now rented property provides 55″ telly and just the right size watching from 2.5m.

Larger is fine too because my friend got one and watching from 2.5m is also slightly better.

Daffy

I don’t understand the projector love. The noise of the fans is quite annoying. Fine for PlayStation etc, but for a movie. Nope.

zilog6128

Horses for courses, but I don’t really see what streaming music has to do with it?

absolutely. When I bought my big speakers, it was very much a case of sitting down in front of them & listening to my CD collection. Streaming has done away with the music collection & being tied to the armchair in front of the speakers, so personally I don’t really “sit down” to listen to music any more as I can listen to whatever I want wherever I’ve got an inexpensive (but pretty great sounding) smart speaker or indeed just my BT headphones.

I don’t understand the projector love. The noise of the fans is quite annoying. Fine for PlayStation etc, but for a movie. Nope.

plus unless you spend untold thousands, the quality/brightness/contrast just can’t match even a cheapish telly, surely?

zilog6128

To be honest I spend more time looking at the art than TV – you can get thousands of pictures and with a couple of other pictures mounted next to it the TV just blends in – no more black mirror which is another reason why a 65″ would have been fine

in a similar but less cultured vein, the hi-res landscape screensavers on the Apple TV are endlessly beautiful/fascinating!

monkeyboyjc

32″ – fits an alcove in our living room perfectly and is out of the way.

TVs should fit the room, much like when buying a sofa.

robola

sit on the wall like a picture and shows art when the TV is off.

I don’t think it is off it is showing pictures…

Not worth the power use.

winston
    Free Member

Erm it’s my lounge….but anyway it has a motion sensor that fires it up as you walk in and turns it off 5mins after you leave. It’s also plugged in a smart plug that kills the standby on the TV, soundbar and Blu-ray from midnight to 4pm week days.

you’re welcome.

johnx2
    Free Member

My wife appreciates it most when I’m not about so, er, probably yes.

FuzzyWuzzy

I had a 55″ for years and was happy with it, I didn’t think a 65″ would make much difference but I had the room for it so thought why not (when it came time to replace the old TV). It’s surprising just how much more screen you’re getting and, for me at least, how much more immersive that is. My father had the same model TV but the 55″ version and, watching from similar viewing distances, it was quite noticeable you’re more watching a picture in a screen than a just the picture (if that makes any sense). That said I think a lot of it comes down to what you’re used to, it was likely only noticeable to me as I was used to a 65″ screen.

Not sure about going over 65″, whilst it would likely have a similar impact as 55-65 the cost ramps up (for OLED at least) and you sort of need to wall mount at that point otherwise it takes up too much space (I’ve got nothing against wall mounting, just wouldn’t work for me without getting a radiator moved and some other faff). An ultra-short-throw projector is tempting to but again they need to come down in price before I’d consider one.

timmys

Went from 55″ to 65″ in the living room (funnily also at my wife’s suggestion after I upgraded the sound system).

Recently redesigned kitchen/dining/utility to incorporate a 2nd living area and have a 55″ in there.

As always;
    – OLED or death (mainly joking)
    – If the centre of the screen is above eye-level* then you need to fix that or get rid of the TV (less joking).

* in areas where TV is both viewed standing and sitting, then it is acceptable to use of mean of seated eye level and standing eye level for calculation of screen placement.

lesgrandepotato

Yes. Easily turned on from a distance. Quite difficult to turn off manually without rummaging around the back.

w00dster

My tv is very much like the OP suggests. Girlfriend is always moaning about it, when i want to use it she’d rather read a book.
    I have a 65” Sky Glass. Absolute junk. As Sky customers who stream all our media it seemed to make sense. And the package does suit us, just the performance of the TV is very poor.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

49 inch tv and a 90-something inch projector. Rarely notice the fan noise – but there’s sometimes a high-pitched whine from the colour wheel.

Cougar

You do get used to it, quickly.

For years I had what was top-of-the-range Sony CRT. 28″ I think, or thereabouts. I loved it. My partner of the time wanted a new TV and I resisted for ages, I argued that there’s no point replacing a perfectly fine telly.

In the end I caved, bought a 42″ Toshiba 1080p flatscreen. It was huge! It was a revelation. Particularly on gaming, the Xbox was just so much clearer. I wished I’d done it years ago. The CRT got donated to a mate, as far as I’m aware it’s still in use to this day. Going round to his place later was a shock to the system, how had I put up with it for so long?

New partner. New house. The 42″ went in the living room, then we decided that actually the back room was going to be our main living area. The Girl was living with us for a few months whilst they sorted out a deposit for their own place, so their silly curved thing became the main TV. When they left, so did their TV. Again I’d been arguing “there’s nothing wrong with the Tosh,” but now we needed a living room TV and oh what the hell, whatever OK. So I filled the chimney breast.

I kept the Tosh in its original location because I figured, we might want to watch TV at different times. Truth is it’s barely been switched on, I can’t bring myself to watch such a small screen. That’s despite it having a Virgin box underneath it which is costing me a fortune and I’ve probably used about three times in two years.

andy4d

As per title, a 15 year old 32″ that does the job for what little use it gets these days. I think my wife would like something bigger though.

lamp
    Free Member

You walk past some houses and the size of the TV just dominates the room!!! I often wonder whether the person on the right asks the person on the left what is going on on their side of the screen!! 😀

I think i saw one on a Black Friday email that was 89″!! God knows how big your lounge would need to be to take advantage of that!!

I only have a 32″ one, but am told it’s what you do with it that counts.

Harry_the_Spider

65″

Go big or go home.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’ve got quite an old one that you often need to bang on the side to get it to work properly.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

65″ here at the minute and a little disappointed. Will definitely be wanting bigger next time. Some people comment about how big and black it looks in the corner of the room, but they are just not used to large ones

Size does matter

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.