Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Are Schwalbe pro ones fragile ?
  • onandon
    Free Member

The title says it all really.

Interested in some 28’s but review are littered with reports of easy cuts, punctures etc.
    Are they fragile or are these people deluded ?

wrecker
    Free Member

all schwalbes are. I have killed every one I have owned (all evo spec) in weeks. The latest nobby nic lasted 2 rides, now dead as a dodo.

onandon
    Free Member

No,they really aren’t. I have them on eight of my bikes without issue – from 25s to Fatbike. However, none of those have reports of easy cuts.

wrecker
    Free Member

2 rides. Utter shite. Wouldn’t take one if it was given to me.

mauja
    Free Member

I’ve got them on two road bikes, 23’s on my summer bike and 28’s on my winter bike, not had any problems after several months and 1000’s km of use.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

think they’ve just been reissued haven’t they?

Haze

First pair (tubeless) went after about 4 months so not brilliant, fair bit of use out of them but nowhere near what I used to get from GP4000’s.

Have another pair on now, will see how these go…

scaredypants

Yes – certainly susceptible to cuts by bits of flint. Admittedly not a huge personal body of data but far more cuts for me than the “old” (non-pro) ones that went before them. Holes big enough to need attempted roadside fix as the tyre wouldn’t stop pissing out jizz

I’m not buying more until/unless they man-up a bit

I would say the same about nobby nics

(all the above were/are tubeless)

mboy
    Free Member

Been running Schwalbe Ones and Pro Ones tubeless since they first appeared, and…

The original One tubeless were a bit heavy for a “race” tyre, but they lasted ages, were pretty tough, and 9 times out of 10 any puncture would seal successfully just with sealant. Done about 3000 miles or so and if they were still available, would happily buy again.

The Pro Ones… Well I’ve fed my feedback to Schwalbe numerous times. The positives are that the grip is phenomenal, rolling resistance second to none, and it’s light… On the flip side, they’re very fragile, cut easily, the sidewalls go porous quickly (Stans doesn’t help here, it just pisses out) and it doesn’t matter how long tread lasts cos you’ll never even start to square one off unless you run it with tubes! I’ve not had one last longer than 400 miles before it’s been totally useless in a tubeless setup, and I’ve had a few now. Enough that once the current tyres give up, I will sadly be going back to inner tubes until Schwalbe (or someone else) make a durable enough tyre (or reissue the original tubeless One’s which were brilliant if slightly weighty).

Similar goes for the Schwalbe MTB tyres too though, Double Defense good, Snakeskin OK, Liteskin no thank you!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I been using pro 1 for ages and think they been great!
    (been road tubeless since the schwalbe ultremo zx)

I had one tyre cut, (flint) but that was in winter after some v heavy rain on a road that normally closed for most of the year, so prob happen to most tyres,
    What I was impressed by was the slower deflation the tubeless sealant gave, giving me time to slow and stop with out riding on the rim/risk of the tyre coming off.

onandon
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Ok, looks like I’ll be going for s ones then, or g one speed 30s.
    My g ones have been great so assume the pro one issue is down to Schwalbe chasing weight saving.

FuzzyWuzzy

They’re my preferred tyre and have used them and Ultremos for years. Fragile isn’t the right word to describe them but they’re not a hard-wearing tyre as they are quite a soft compound, which means they are susceptible to cuts (mine have plenty but they still work fine). I also use Conti GP4Seasons and they cut up less but they grip less to (I’ve also had more punctures on them than on Schwalbe’s but that’s likely just bad luck).
    If I had to get a tyre just for winter I’d prob go Conti GP4Season but for an all-year round or 3 season tyre I’d go Schwalbe One every time.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Only problems I’ve experienced with Schwalbe was with some Ultremo ZX (?) – V light & grippy but a bit thin.

Other than that no dramas at all. Used them on my bike for the last 5-10 years..

singletrackmind

I have one you can buy . iirc its a 25c tubeless job, jizzed and mounted . I broke 3 plastic wide spoon style levers mounting it. It then utterly refused to inflate so I then removed it , breaking another tyre lever in the process.
    So now its sitting there redundant and just some of the £45 I paid as compensation would be nice. Cannot comment on longevity as I rode 0 miles on my one.
    £25 posted?

onandon
    Free Member

Great sales pitch, but I’m oooot.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve been running them for about 4 months, in 25c flavour. I’ve had to replace one tyre because of a slash in the sidewall (it didn’t go right through but I don’t trust it) and the rear tyre is starting to square off at about 1500km use. I’ve had one puncture I’m aware of, which self-sealed with the loss of some pressure.

Overall, they’re not as durable as the Conti GP 4 season or Michelin Pro 4 SC I was using previously. Having said that, they’re by no means terrible, and the ride quality is so good that I’ll probably stick with them next summer. I’ll probably put something sturdier on for winter – Hutchinson Sector 28s look good.

flange
    Free Member

I’ve had them on my commuter in 28mm flavour for about 500 miles. They’re no worse wear wise than say, a GP4000 but man alive they’re horrendous in the wet. Or Damp. Or anything where there’s a sniff of moisture. They came set up tubeless on my Hunts and whilst I’ve not had any punctures, i’ve had the rim tape blow out, which isn’t a fault of the tyres (hunt were great and sent me a couple of rolls FOC). Changing it to put a tube in was a nightmare though, so tight on the rim I bust a tyre lever trying to get it back on.

I’ve gone back to GP4000’s in 28mm and they grip more and roll better. They’re also much better in the wet.

ransos
    Free Member

Changing it to put a tube in was a nightmare though, so tight on the rim I bust a tyre lever trying to get it back on.

That’s odd – mine were a total doddle, fitted without a tyre lever.

lunge

I have them, they’re OK but nothing more. Grip is good but not brilliant, they cut a bit more than I’d like but nothing drastic and they feel fast but not mega-fast. Mine will be replaced with a pair of Open Pave’s in the next month or 2 I think, they seem a little better in every measure to me.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Interesting reading this as i have been using them since the early days and the comments are varied.

Been running Schwalbe Ones and Pro Ones tubeless since they first appeared, and…

The original One tubeless were a bit heavy for a “race” tyre, but they lasted ages, were pretty tough, and 9 times out of 10 any puncture would seal successfully just with sealant. Done about 3000 miles or so and if they were still available, would happily buy again.

The Pro Ones… Well I’ve fed my feedback to Schwalbe numerous times. The positives are that the grip is phenomenal, rolling resistance second to none, and it’s light… On the flip side, they’re very fragile, cut easily, the sidewalls go porous quickly (Stans doesn’t help here, it just pisses out) and it doesn’t matter how long tread lasts cos you’ll never even start to square one off unless you run it with tubes! I’ve not had one last longer than 400 miles before it’s been totally useless in a tubeless setup, and I’ve had a few now. Enough that once the current tyres give up, I will sadly be going back to inner tubes until Schwalbe (or someone else) make a durable enough tyre (or reissue the original tubeless One’s which were brilliant if slightly weighty).

Similar goes for the Schwalbe MTB tyres too though, Double Defense good, Snakeskin OK, Liteskin no thank you!

I found the opposite to this – the original ‘one’ was very soft, performed exceptionally well but very susceptible to cuts – i had to patch mine multiple times where cuts would not seal. Still less trouble than tubes though!

They’re my preferred tyre and have used them and Ultremos for years. Fragile isn’t the right word to describe them but they’re not a hard-wearing tyre as they are quite a soft compound, which means they are susceptible to cuts (mine have plenty but they still work fine). I also use Conti GP4Seasons and they cut up less but they grip less to (I’ve also had more punctures on them than on Schwalbe’s but that’s likely just bad luck).
    If I had to get a tyre just for winter I’d prob go Conti GP4Season but for an all-year round or 3 season tyre I’d go Schwalbe One every time.

This was my view of the original ‘one’. I have now replaced my originals with ‘one pro’s’ My thoughts are that they are a tougher more plasticy compound that seems harder wearing but they have lost some of the soft gripper feel.

RE all this winter BS – potholes and crap on roads kill tyres and the problem is no different in winter. The most significant thing with a Schwable One is that it works tubeless and that makes for more trouble free miles whatever the season (IMO).

traildog
    Free Member

I have been using mine for near 1.3k now and I have not had a problem. They are lightweight tyres, a training tyre is harder wearing, do it’s not really surprising GP4Seasons etc are tougher. They’re lasting well and I’ve given them a tough time.

They are a race style tyre which can be run tubeless. So they are maybe not as great as some of the better race tyres but being tubeless means I can commute with them into Manchester with loads of glass and not have to worry too much about punctures.

As such, I find them a good compromise between nice tyres and horrible tough touring tyres which I had to previously use.

Vortexracing

I have put 3000 miles on a set of 28mm the ones, over winter they have a few cuts and needed a couple of patches as they spewed jizz out a couple of times and proved a sod to seal at the road side. They seem to be more prone as they wear down.

I put approx. the same on my summer bike, but in 23mm flavour this time. Loved them, however they seem to puncture easier the older they got as well.

Just replaced them with some Pro ones and got a 1/2″ slit that would not seal at all within the first 50 miles 🙄

Managed to apply and tubeless patch and it seems OK for now, but given the comments above, I’m not too hopeful. Glad I only paid £30 each, I would have been well P1$$ed off if I had paid the full RRP of nearly £70.

Vortexracing

Just as an aside, what other tubeless road tyres are out there and recommended ???

mrblobby
    Free Member

These any better now? Got some wheels I can run tubeless on the way and considering them but don’t sound great so far.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve been running them for about 4 months, in 25c flavour. I’ve had to replace one tyre because of a slash in the sidewall (it didn’t go right through but I don’t trust it) and the rear tyre is starting to square off at about 1500km use. I’ve had one puncture I’m aware of, which self-sealed with the loss of some pressure.

Overall, they’re not as durable as the Conti GP 4 season or Michelin Pro 4 SC I was using previously. Having said that, they’re by no means terrible, and the ride quality is so good that I’ll probably stick with them next summer. I’ll probably put something sturdier on for winter – Hutchinson Sector 28s look good.
    I never got around to changing them for winter, and discovered that grip in the wet and cold is pretty awful, not a patch on Michelin Pro 4s. I’m going to wear them out completely and try something else.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I’ve got 25s and 28s on my roadies….pretty happy with both. Tubeless was nice and easy…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm well I was hoping for a tubeless GP4000 but it sounds like I might just be better off just sticking with GP4000’s and tubes.

Anyone tried the S-Works Turbo tubeless? Tempted but 60 quid a tyre!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ive got 28s pro ones on my Tripster.. great tyres, back tyre loses pressure slowly (about 20psi) and have to blow it up once a week. Otherwise.. great grip in the wet, fast rolling. Even carefully riden them on a bridlepath and other stony paths without exploding to death.

onandon
    Free Member

For the bigger volume I went for the schwalbe s-one tubeless on Reynolds assault wheels. They’re great tyres.
    Stuck with gp4000s in 25 for the aero bike, also on Reynolds assaults.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hmm,
    I have had no issues with these tyres.
    Had the original One tubeless.
    Ok but always felt a bit heavy and plastiicky
    Moved onto the new Pro One with a slightly better feel but still a bit plasticky!
    Ran some 28s last year for a bit of gravel and no problems!
    Have had Hutchinson in the past so trying some Fusion 5 Galactic tubeless so hoping these are gonna feel a bit more lively.
    I am not the the lightest or skilful of riders but I am also one of the few who seem to have had no issues with Schwalbe lite skins either.
    Been running a Rocket Ron Evo for a couple of years!
    If anyone is interested I have some Pro One’s in 25mm tubeless going spare which are a few rides old as trying out the Hutchinson’s.
    Make me an offer!
    singlespeedtothemax1@hotmail.co.uk
    Kind reguards Max

kelvin

Mine were simultaneously grippy and rolled super fast. Brilliant.
    And then I ripped one after about 2 months of rarely riding them.

beej

Original One’s tubeless 28mm have lasted well on my winter bike, including some towpath action. Only one failure to seal and the sealant had pretty much dried up.

Pro Ones tubeless 25mm, had a nightmare ride with 3 punctures – one when tubeless (and didn’t seal), then 2 with the tubes that went in. Again, hadn’t topped up sealant for a while.

I’ve now got Hutchinson somethings on the wheels that had the Pro Ones, but have put Pro Ones on my carbon wheels for dry use only. I’ve also bought one of these that now lives in the tiny saddlebag.

http://road.cc/content/review/183575-genuine-innovations-tubeless-tire-repair-kit

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. After a bit more research I think I’ll be sending back the Pro One’s and sticking with the GP4000’s as my all rounders!

damascus
    Free Member

Put a set of pro ones on last year. The rear tyre was great until it punctured and wouldn’t seal. I tried when I got home but no joy. Ran it with a tube all winter and just got a couple of punctures from hitting pot holes.

The front has been flawless.

Just replaced the rear but couldn’t get it tubeless even with a beto air pump which works on all mtb tyres. I’ll have to pop into my lbs at the weekend and use the compressor. Must remember to take biscuits.

If this one doesn’t last then I’ll go to continental 4 seasons or gp4000.

scaredypants

blobbers – I bet I’ve got a runnable pair in the garage that you can try out (they’ll be superglued or patched but should hold air – they’ll be spares or else used on the kids’ bikes so I’ve no current need for them). email in profile

I think usefulness depenfds on the terrain you ride on – flinty round here and they’re just not up to it (and specifically they’re unable to retain an anchovy if you do punture)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks scaredy. Think I’m going to stick with tried and tested for now.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Run the S Ones on the commuter. Great tyre only one puncture die to 4mm slit. From what I have read Stan’s seems to struggle with road pressures on bigger cuts.

Apparently orange sealant is better or copy the pro mechanics and add glitter!

Have Pro Ones on the road bike. Ride well with good grip. Not had any problems with cuts in over 800 miles. They are mega tight on my Chinese carbon wheels but the S Ones go on easily on Mavic rims.

The tightness of the tyre is generally down to your rim. Pedro’s tyre levers are brilliant for tight tyres.

Second vote for anchovies for fixing roadside punctures, great kit.

Regards

djglover
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a good couple of ‘000 miles on a pair of pro one and experienced none of the issues described above. Just needed to re-inflate once in a while.

I did find issues with grip when they were brand new and they would spin going up hill on wet leaves. Other than that, fine, I’ve raced them on the road in torrential rain a couple of times and not had any twitchy moments, also raced a few early season greasy crits where folk were falling on corners and no issues there..

From my point of view they are a great tyre, really low rolling resistance, high grip and seem durable up to now.

ransos
    Free Member

I did find issues with grip when they were brand new and they would spin going up hill on wet leaves.

Mine have never stopped doing that! In comparison with other quality clinchers I’ve used (GP4 season, Mich Pro4 SC)they have way less grip in the wet. As I ride all year round on hilly country lanes this is a bit of a problem…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have some on my ‘best’ bike, pretty much get a puncture every time I go out on it so yeh in my experience they are very fragile. I used Vittoria Corsa’s for years and will probably go back to them in G+ flavour

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Are Schwalbe pro ones fragile ?’ is closed to new replies.