Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Are my new forks wonky?
  • Euro
    Free Member

Ordered a pair of Pikes and they arrived yesterday evening. No air in them from the box so i put in the recommended amount for my weight (85psi give or take), bounce up and down on them a few times and set them to the side to install on the bike this morning. After breakfast inspect my new toy and have a few more bounces only to discover they feel much softer than last night? Attached the pump to find they’re sitting at around 40psi. That’s odd, so i pump them up to 100 and leave them sitting untouched all day. Just checked again and they are soft and back to 40psi. Is it possible that i got some duds? I checked the returns policy and there is no issue with sending them back (although i will be out of pocket for postage) but just want to make sure i’m not wasting anyone’s time.

Any ideas?

Dan
    Free Member

maybe check the air valve is not loose?

robhughes
    Free Member

Where are they from.?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Re-fitting the shock pump will cause a drop in pressure, though that doesn’t explain them feeling softer. maybe that’s due to settling in/temperature?

andyl
    Free Member

If they are faulty then the seller should refund postage.

Attach the pump, pump up and leave overnight with the pump still attached. Make sure there is a good seal. Might not be perfect but might give you an indication.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

refitting the pump will allow a tiny bit of air out, unless the air volume is very very tiny it won’t account for a 60psi drop!

Check the valve.

Euro
    Free Member

Didn’t have the correct tool again!! so bodged an air valve checker-outer from a fork of the eating variety. I’ve let the air out and gave the valve a check. They’re pumped back to 100 again and i’ll see how they seem in the morn. Fingers crossed. Cheers Dan

maybe that’s due to settling in/temperature?

Please tell me this happens and this is what it is. I’d quite like to ride them to see what all the fuss is about 😀

Somewhere in Lancashire rob.

Mike and Andy. When i originally said this…

sitting untouched all day

…i was lying a little bit 😳 . I coped a feel at around 2.35pm and they felt a bit softer. It was a lustful cop and not exactly scientific but I did notice her sag marking had gone from 10ish to around 15.

Euro
    Free Member

Flat again this morning 🙁 Looks like they are going back.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Always disappointing to get a new toy and find it dosen’t work. You should get your money back for postage if they are indeed wonky.

khani
    Free Member

You have checked the valve core haven’t you? You can nip it up with some needle nosed pliers if it’s loose or if it’s broke get one out of an inner tube..

rickon
    Free Member

^^ as above, try that first. the valve core looks like this:

You can grab the flat edges and turn clockwise to do up.

Or you could even remove it, and replace with a core from a schrader tube – I’ve done this in the past to fix a leaky valve.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Are my new forks wonky?’ is closed to new replies.