Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Are cotic canning the soda?
  • cy

We’ve not given up on a halo model, just ti is not making sense right now. Might talk to Jan though, as Van Nic do some nice stuff and he’s a lovely fella.

Now Reynolds have released 931, we’ve got some 953/931 samples on their way to see how they go. My 953 proto from 07 was the prettiest Cotic I’ve ever seen, but quite low stiffness due to the thin wall tubing and insanely expensive. 931 back end addresses the expensive thing, but need to see how a 953 from end stacks up against modern wide bars and bolt thru forks. Nowt concrete in terms of production, but something we’re looking at.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Damn, but that’s a shame…

I’ve had my mk1 Soda for quite a long time now – what 5 or 6 years? Still my favourite bike. I’ve done some very silly things on it, and it’s always just gone “yeah, and…?” and its SOOO damn fast on singletrack.

I still find the flex thing interesting. Admittedly I’m pretty skinny, but I’m reasonably strong for my weight and have never had any issues hauling the bike around or making it go where I want to. It’s actually faster(smoother) downhill in proper rocky stuff than my BFe (despite 30mm less fork travel) as the back end does seem to take a lot of the sting out of the trail, and it’s so easy to hop over the big stuff. Jumps better too, weirdly, which might be down to the extra flex acting like a spring when I preload into the face of a jump.

Either way, cracking bit of kit that suits me brilliantly, and I’d now hate to be in a situation where I needed to replace it…

mattjg
    Free Member

We currently don’t have plans to re-stock Sodas. We’ve got about 4 left in medium, then that’s it for the moment.

So refreshing to have a bike company proprietor say it like it is.

scruff
    Free Member

Yep, Cy is one of the good guys.

cy

Nice that you think that. I’m actually just trying to start a bidding war on the last frames MYUHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

thepodge
    Free Member

whats the halo project? is it the hemlock replacement?

cy

As mentioned above, 931/953 stainless steel frames are being looked at.

crazy-legs

As mentioned above, 931/953 stainless steel frames are being looked at.

Have to say, your old prototype 953 frame was the nicest hardtail I’ve ever ridden.

I know that’s not saying much cos I’ve not ridden hundreds of bikes like a bike journo would but it just felt really nice: light and skippy and fun. 🙂

Hornet600
    Free Member

Shame to hear about the end of the line for the Soda. As I said in another post, I love just looking at my bike, love riding it and now knowing that there will be even fewer in existence just makes it all the better.
    Can’t beat not seeing another bike like yours and everybody asking questions about it.
    From another angle, what happens with crash replacement / warranty?

My two girls –

snakebite
    Free Member

My Soda cracked in the end, shame as it was one of the best bikes I’ve had (and I’ve had a few), replaced it with an Evil Sov as there were no Soda’S due for several months. Sold that after a year and have now got a BFe and am right at home on it!!!!

scruff
    Free Member

Cant you afford a new saddle ?

snakebite
    Free Member

I have 3 new ones, but there’s life in that one yet…. 😀

cy

Hornet – Warranty will be credit against other Cotic products or refund should you so wish. Lynskey will also repair frames should anyone have any issues with those. We have got you covered.

bol

Here’s a breeding pair, so hopefully we’ll be able to get a programme going to prevent extinction.

dukeduvet

Seems like a lot going on at Cotic with the soda, solaris but any news on when/if the soul will be getting a new headtube to fit tapered forks?

nicko74

And forgive my ignorance, but what are the benefits of stainless steel on a frame, in terms of ride, weight etc?

Kevevs
    Free Member

I know this may be a terrible thing to say on here- but it’s just a nice simple olde bike frame. Get over it. What’s so special about it! not a lot really! blah blah British, blah blah geometry, blah blah titaniumnumnum, so what!

Northwind

If you’re looking for a new project, someone just offered to sell me a used 6 inch Hemlock mk2 rocker for £220. It’s a mug’s game this complete bike lark, apparently the big money is in replacement parts for discontinued full sussers!

rob2
    Free Member

Lol at northwind. There was a rocker on eBay the other day?

honourablegeorge

dukeduvet – Member
    Seems like a lot going on at Cotic with the soda, solaris but any news on when/if the soul will be getting a new headtube to fit tapered forks?

The Soul is FAR too pretty to have a tapered headtube inflicted on it.

Chainline
    Free Member

Well, I’ve had two sodas, still have one, well my wife does, she still loves it. I’ve also had a Merlin Jones and tbh the finish welding on the tai soda is just as good, and as good as any of the Lynsky frames I’ve seen. Never had any problems with any of them touch wood, but neither my wife nor I are heavy.

I sold my first frame after being seduced by tales if flexyness being bad and I bought a Ti 456 cos it was ‘the best hardball ever’ didn’t like it at all, just dead, turns out I liked my old soda a lot more than I realised when I had it. What a single track bike with 120’s on it, just put a smile on my face, which is why I ride.

Also had Souls, 2 of, like them too. As for comparing Ti and Steel feel, factually the Ti is more flexible, but in reality tyres- size, volume, sidewalk stiffness, and forks travel, damping, seatpost, material, saddle, rail material and bars/stem material, wheels, type of spokes, hub all have such a large part to play unless it’s a side by side test with like for like components in the same conditions, I think broad statements like the steel rides’better than the Ti are pointless…
    Just enjoy your bike.

As for the Soda’s passing. Keep your eyes peeled, they crop up s/h every now and then, it still is a great bike, well if you have one 🙂

dukeduvet

honourable george my feelings are mixed about tapered head tubes on steel hardails in terms of looks, but having seen the solaris with one it does look the best so far.

solaris

honourablegeorge

Can’t say I care for the look of the Solaris. Mainly the fat seat tube, I think.

ahwiles
    Free Member

alternatively, this:

is the most beautiful mountainbike i’ve ever seen. I mean, just look at it…

(26ers my size look awfull, like a pig on stilts)

ononeorange

My favourite bike of all time was my Soda, I was very distressed when she went. I have a Soul now which is lovely, but not quite the same somehow. Not much “technical” riding round my way, so the Soda was perfect for delicate fast shifts.

Shame they’re being dis-continued, but understandable from a business perspective. I just don’t get this clown wheel stuff.

I am actually glad that Cy didn’t say “Just 4 large Soda frames left” as I’d have a serious hole in my wallet by now.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…I just don’t get this clown wheel stuff…

26ers my size look awfull, like a pig on stilts

c’mon, that solaris is very pretty. i could show you a picture of my 26″ wheeled bike, with the saddle at a comfy height, but there isn’t enough eye-bleach in the world…

(my attraction to them is purely aesthetic, i hate to sound shallow, but i am, so that’s how i sound)

metalheart
    Free Member

At the risk of committing heresy this ain’t the end of the world.

The soda is purty but the Soul is damned good and despite having one of each I don’t think the soda is 3x better.

If it hadn’t been for the always lusted after a Ti frame it’s now-or-never oh **** I’m just gonna buy it then I’d have as well just getting the soul xtred. That said I’ll be pissed off if it breaks and can’t get it replaced (lifetime warranty and that).

As for 44mm head tube, if Cy was heading that way on the soda then it must be a given it’ll be heading that way on the soul before too long.

And stop posting that bloody solaris… I want one.

Northwind

rob2 – Member

There was a rocker on eBay the other day?

For a mk1 🙁 Not that I need the big rocker, I just want to try it out.

Woody
    Free Member

Interesting that quite a few Soda’s have had cracking problems. I was under the impression that ti should be stronger. Is/was the weight saving over 853 worth it?

Personally, Im not too worried at it’s passing because
    a) I couldn’t afford or justify one and
    b) I find it difficult to believe that anything could be better than my Mark 1 Soul as it is by far the best hardtail I’ve ever owned and that includes a Dekerf!

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Are cotic canning the soda?’ is closed to new replies.