Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Are all Steerer tubes same Diameter ?
  • Macca
    Free Member

Ive just swapped my forks into my sons bike to test my Fox Floats in it, and cant seem to get the things to sit snugly in the frame neck etc.

I assume its the differing headset bits in/on each, but I arent too familiar with headsets etc, so just wondered if all Steerer tubes are basically the same dia etc ?

certainly measures the same, or near as damn it.

Any advice pls ?

Oh, its a Hardrock pro with RockShox Dart forks, and Im testing my Fox Float RL’s in it from my Stumpjumper FSR.

Cheers.

Surfr
    Free Member

Have you swapped the Crown Race from each fork? part of the headset which is attached to the bottom of the steerer tube. Not much more than a shaped metal ring, really.

Steerer tubes sometimes differ but the vast majority are 1 1/8″ these days I believe. Older tubes or road bike tubes can be 1″ and there are the odd 1 1/4″ out there too.

marvintheandroid
    Free Member

Generally you will need to leave the headset bits as you call them with the frame they belong to, remove the crown race from the fork steerer and just swap over the fork. The reason for this is that although most forks are 1.1/8″ tubes (with a few exceptions as Surfr said), there are various different styles of bearing depending whether the headset is integrated, semi-integrated, standard etc.

Unfortunately you may find it difficukt to swap the crown race without the proper tools.

Marv

Surfr
    Free Member

Your LBS will probably do it for a smile and a quid or hobnobs or something though.

spooky_b329

Screwdriver and hammer will do it with care 🙂 Theres often a notch in the fork crown to allow you to get a screwdriver under the race to get it started.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Are all Steerer tubes same Diameter ?’ is closed to new replies.