Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 229 total)
  • Ard Rock '17 Debrief
  • unsponsored
    Free Member

Added more images today – http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/ard-rock-enduro-2017/

More to come.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

It was early when I entered but did I imagine a question regarding your riding ability during entry or were you grouped based solely on what time you entered? I was surprised to be in a group with former elite DH riders and people clearly out for a pootle. I was often letting riders ahead of me in the queue knowing that they were podium contenders and would definitely catch me.

I knew that my ‘race’ was over when I let a proper missile past me on stage one but had to pull over and could not set off safely for what seemed like forever only to catch the riders that passed me whilst I was waiting. Think the seeding thing would suffer as the groups merge on the first climb.

Either way, excellent event. Smoothly run. Marshalls were superb. Stages were some of the best riding I’ve done. Thanks to all the folk on here who helped/worked at the event. Just a world class experience, If I was to do it again, I would enter a ‘fun’ class. Just don’t have the pointy elbows and desire needed to race anymore.

DrP

if there wasn’t room for him to ride round me, there wasn’t room for me to get out of the way either.

This 100%… I completely agree that as the rider approaching from behind, it’s MY responsibility to get past safely. That may be informing you of my presence and alowing you to move out the way, or by ME taking the danger line to get past.

As it is, we only caught up people on 2 of the stages (after leaving a big gap at the top)..each time the overtaking line was more ‘fun’ (we’ll call it fun) and at my expense, not theirs…
    Considerate..I hope so….

(When racing 4+ hour XC enduros, I’m quite happy to just bimble behind riders until tehre’s a CLEAR spot to overtake..)

Anyway, I’ve bought a few photos – I love looking back and seeing the terrain from another perspective!
    Great shot!

Gotta love a screamer!

Squint face…

DrP

Vinte
    Free Member

I did the full Enduro on Saturday, it was the first bike race of any kind I’ve ever done. What a brilliant weekend. I found the first few stages quite intimidating, not really the terrain but having so many fast riders around me. I was pulling over, and slowing down may be a bit too early at times. However, I just wanted to survive and make it round. My chain bounced off at a bad moment on Stage 3, by the time a fixed it, got to a spot where I could jump back on the bike and let a group of riders past I think I’d lost over a minute. I came in 29 minutes. Quite please really, I didn’t have to walk down any sections. I was only out on the course for 4 hours 45mins, including spending 45 mins waiting at the top of stage 2.
    I was surprised how many people couldn’t ride up hills, I thought that was the point, to ride up and race down. It’s a good thing the time limit wasn’t enforced.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Heard one story of someone getting abuse and called a f*****g t**t literally on the exposed switchback with the orange fence on stage 2 for not stopping, to me thats well out of order,unfortunately thats annoying but to me thats just your luck, I passed a few folk and a lot more passed me with no issues, most of the time I missed a pedal stroke or 2, no big deal, I had one shout “rider”, went to pull over and glanced behind me and he was about 50 metres away, just kept going and he never even got near me, some folk think their a lot faster than they really are, saying that I seen some superb fast riding from folk passing me.

FFJA
    Free Member

I thought everyone (and there were many) who passed me on the intro was great and polite! I probably made almost too much effort to let them past!
    Worst I saw was a guy shouting and “Grrrr-ing” at the woman infront in the last 15 yards of 5. Chill out surely, she had no where to go?!

andybrad

lots of that unfortunately.

as the guy at the start said. Dont confuse ambition with skill 🙂

still loved it. I think switching the days to race day sunday fun saturday would be a lot better imo.

DrP

I was surprised how many people couldn’t ride up hills, I thought that was the point, to ride up and race down.

Meh..quite a lot of people pushing up hills, but good on them for getting out..

DrP – (mini self kudos for getting 2nd on the strava leaderboard for the climb out of stage 4 😆 Only rode the whole ruddy lot didn’t I..)

Vinte
    Free Member

Good effort DrP, that bit had me pushing if I’m honest.

AlexSimon

DrP – that was actually a fun climb! Looked properly intimidating, but quite doable in the dry. My heart was in my mouth on that rocky step near the top though 🙂

AlexSimon

Great day out! Very happy with my 22:12.61 – good for 11th in the Sport Vets.

It’s very difficult to judge the balance of rider skill levels.
    I guess people should enter the intro event until they at least roughly know where they should be.
    Unlike last year, everyone I passed couldn’t have been more helpful, some properly going off-course to oblige.

That steep chute from stage 3 was missing this time – lots of walkers/sliders/refusals on that last year.

finbar
    Free Member

Meh..quite a lot of people pushing up hills, but good on them for getting out..

DrP – (mini self kudos for getting 2nd on the strava leaderboard for the climb out of stage 4 Only rode the whole ruddy lot didn’t I..)

What happened to you in the last Strava segment (“the finish line drop I took”). You smoked me in everything except the first climb and that last bit.

DrP

Dunno..after 90 seconds my speed dropped to zero for a few minutes, then picked up again.
    I can only conclude I went through a wormhole.

DrP

(actually – stage 5 finished about halfway down that segment, so we probably crossed the stage finish line, ‘whooped and chest bumped’, then had a wee, then carried on back to the tent. More likely than a space-time continueum shift)

(Double edit – on the first climb i stopped approximately 8 times to micro adjust my handlebars…..!)

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did abuse the chap I caught on stage 5 for not riding fast enough and not getting out of my way, much to the amusement of the crowd. In case anyone was wondering, he is a mate and was giving as good as he got.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

^^mates don’t abuse, they buzz tyres…

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Finished just outside the top third in my age group (30-39) – improved my times compared to last year on 3 stages which was pleasing – no mechanicals or punctures

Agree that they could do to try and encourage riders to enter the event most appropriate to them – was held up on stage 2 by two very slow riders through the steep section who didn’t seem that keen to let me by once there was space to do so – secondly despite giving one chap over a 30 second head start on stage 5 I still passed him. Other than that everyone I caught let me past pretty quickly – somehow (luck) managed not to get overtaken on any of the stages

Thought stage 5 was a great addition

Could have done without the early morning loo cleaning, combining that with the church bells it wasn’t conducive to a good nights sleep

jamesoz

If there’s a chap on here with long hair who rides a bling carbon Santa Cruz with purple bits, I apologise for being a bit rude on the switchbacks on stage two, thanks for moving over quickly and I’d have been less rude if you hadn’t jumped in front of me in the queue. I guess I need to look less fat, old and asthmatic.
    Personally I think the Sprint needed proper gaps as it’s only 3 stages plus the fun grass down, so less chance to make up time.

Phil_H

Really enjoyed the sport despite having a rather large off on stage 4. My foot came off the pedal at full chatt and I high sided off the bike which then cartwheeled away.
    If anyone went past and saw a rider lying face down on the deck that was me. Not badly hurt, just bruised, grazed with wrenched muscles. I took my time getting up as I don’t bounce as well as I used to 😆

trout
    Free Member

Yes Dr P That was me with the sometimes strange tunes on top of 3 .
    I hope it added a little fun certainly kept me company for the day .

Right marshal moan coming up .

the start gate is the bit where you start . you know the bit with the electric bit on which talks to the thing on your wrist .
    NOT 100 mtrs before the start gate .

I was near the start gate where I could if you needed give you bits of info of what is ahead .
    buggered if I am walking 100 mtrs to chat .

I had good number of riders wipe out on the 90 degree entry to the start gate it was put there to stop you getting a run up if you go too fast through you may not trigger the electrickery thing .

so next year come a bit nearer to the start marshal he is there for your benefit and a bit of banter also helps his day

and to the 2 fools who thought it was a good idea to start from the top of the mound just because I was not on station
    good thing I did not see your numbers as you would have been disqaulified
    YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE .

rant over

see you all next year

bedfordrd

Had a great day in the Sport, but unfortunately punctured my rear tyre (holed a sidewall – bad choice of tyre – then the presta valve actually broke in the pump!) on stage 1 put paid to any chance of getting a mid-place in the vets this year…

But was with 4 mates, so tried to make sure I reclaimed *some* bragging rights on the other stages 😀

And even made it back before the rain – bonus!

Loved it – third year running. Now to decide if I do it again next year…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Loved it – third year running. Now to decide if I do it again next year…

Not a consideration, my summer plans work around AR. Not missed it yet, id be proper pissed off reading about it on here! :mrgreen:

timbles
    Free Member

We had a great time shouting “SEND IT” at the big grassy drop on stage 6 on Saturday 😀 and then managed to get in the top third in the Vets on Sunday. First ever event. It was cracking.
    Thanks to all the marshalls for the excellent work.

mt
    Free Member

@Lowrey, some of those bell ringers in’ t church were volunteers helping cover your safety in’ the event. We managed to put up with the extra noise in’t village form PA before 7:30am and some real crap live music so a little bit of bell ringing adds to the atmosphere. After all it’s been a great event and pretty much has universal local support because it’s well run and brings a bit of excitement to the dale. Don’t be cummin ere tellin to what t do, next thall be sayin no sheep shaggin. Friday night is bell ringing night then in to the pub, has been that way for years.
    See you next year..

unklehomered
    Free Member

Nicely put Sir! Living close to a church I just don’t hear it though. Previously the quarter hours have woken me a few times. This time slept right through.

Yes. The guy who does cover versions of songs in the style of Nickelback was invited again. Or just showed up and no one thought to stop him.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I never heard the bells in the van, must be pretty quiet.

pictonroad

Don’t be cummin ere tellin to what t do, next thall be sayin no sheep shaggin.

I did wonder what the locals thought of it when I looked down from stage 2 to see the tent city matching the village size. Good to hear it’s well received. 8)

Your riding may be spectacular but crikey was I cold in the evening. I was wearing everything I took and still cold. Back down south and in the hammock with shorts and a shandy at 9:30.

Good weekend, thanks for looking after us on the hills and not eating us or whatever it is you lot do to outsiders… 😉

therag
    Free Member

1st ardrock for me, did the Saturday sprint. Absolutely brilliant weekend. 630 mile round trip, chain off twice, punctured once, 40th in masters.
    The marshals, stalls and Friday street made a real festival feel which I’ve not experienced before at a mtb event. I shall return for the 6 stages next year.

bigjim

if there wasn’t room for him to ride round me, there wasn’t room for me to get out of the way either.

this is the approach I’ve always taken too, the rare occasions when I do pass someone I tell them which side I’m passing, not just tell them I’m there and expect them to do something, which I think is the general etiquette from xc racing too.

lowey

Friday night is bell ringing night then in to the pub, has been that way for years.

MT, sorry mate, no offence intended. But I just thought it was a bit odd that the bells were ringing every 15mins and on the hour all night every night.

I’ll take ear plugs next time. Thanks for supporting the event. I made a point of trying to say thanks to all the Marshals every time I passed. Having marshaled at a few events myself, its always nice to get a thanks.

akira

Sunday sport for me, barely ridden this year so was on the edge of my comfort zone. Plus was with Phil H when he had his ‘nap’ on stage four for a bit so just had fun after that as lost a chunk of time. Was quite a few people walking or stopping at the top of bits but was never going to worry the podium so didn’t bother me that much.

mt
    Free Member

@lowey no offense taken at all, tried to comment with a laugh. We just don’t notice the church bells at night, never occurred to me that you were talking about the clock bells. Think of it as all part of country life. Bharrr, now were me favorite girl (ewe).

stcolin
    Free Member

Well, overall I had a great day. Was in for the full enduro same as last year. 6 weeks ago I slipped a disc in my back, so with a lot of careful back ‘managment’ I decided to go and enjoy if as a nice day out on the bike and not be bothered about the time. Huge lack of fitness with no riding in the last 8 weeks really and holding back in places due to my back, I got around in 23:06. Had two comedy moments that lost me around 30 seconds or so. Stage 3, my goggles fell off knocking my glasses to the end of my nose. Had to stop and sort that out. Then on stage 6 my GoPro launched itself off the helmet mount down the hill. Luckily a guy fixing a puncture caught it!

Enjoyed all stages, with 3 being my least favourite. The transition from 4 was a huge improvement. I hope they keep that for next year. SRAM were also very helpful 😉

’till next year!

scaled
    Free Member

25:05 for me, lost my chain 7 times on the first 3 stages 👿 Made a ghetto chain guide out of zip ties and accepted that I could only go down stages in 4th gear. Once i’d got my head round that I wasn’t racing I enjoyed the last 3 stages, stage 5 was great, if it wasn’t for the pedally bit at the start I think i’d have got a decent time!

Definitely going to be booking on the saturday next year (and making sure my bike is working!)

njd187
    Free Member

Does anyone Know why they shut the steepish shoots on stage one Sunday earlier riders got to ride proper route.They sent later riders round the blue very little chance to overtake added well over a minute to the stage.Had a great weekend hopefully back next year in main enduro. Quicker refresh needed

tops5
    Free Member

Believe there where a few crashes on them?

lowey

One guy took a tumble of the chute from top to bottom. He was being worked on by the MRT when we went past.

Whoever he was sending healing vibes. Apparently his helmet was smashed up.

njd187
    Free Member

Thought it must have been but there were crashes everywhere on Sunday.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What time did the Sunday stage 1 diversion happen? In was in place by the time we got there from a 0940 start.

njd187
    Free Member

Not sure sounds like it must have been fairly early on.Hope whoever it was is Ok

akira

Obviously the time loss due the diversion is what I’m blaming for my lack of podium position. Cough
    Saw one guy being put in mountain rescue much later on, hopefully precautionary rather than anything too serious.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘Ard Rock '17 Debrief’ is closed to new replies.