Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 229 total)
  • Ard Rock '17 Debrief
  • AlexSimon

Ah – that explains why my stage 1 result was my best then (7:55 start).

added well over a minute to the stage

although find that hard to believe

njd187
    Free Member

If each stage had a diversion put in after i’d gone through might have got close.Do you think it can get many more riders racing on the sunday. Would have thought its about at its limit. People I spoke to said it was far busier than last year.

njd187
    Free Member

Dont think it was just the diversion that added time it was just very difficult to pass same with a lot of places i suppose.

DrP

Interesting to read a lot of people were dropping chains..
    I had a few mechanicals last year (dropped chain despite thick-thin and clutch, and puncture..), so made a few changes to the bik:
    -pauls chain keeper
    -higher rear pressure in the tyre, and it was a brand new tyre too (Hans damph, tubeless)

This year I had NO issues – the chain keeper saved my ass many times, I just know it! Plus, being on a hardtail does ping you about a bit!

Also, the luftkappe Pike mod was brilliant – the forks were just sooo good!!

DrP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t think numbers is an issue, more of an issue is folk riding tracks that are above their ability levels tbh.

No way folks should be walking down stuff, none of it is particularly techy.

pictonroad

That steep chute on stage 1 may not have been ‘that’ techy but if you got it wrong there wasn’t a nice place to land. It was a long way down and plenty pointy. It was the only obstacle that gave me a proper wobble.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

although find that hard to believe

Easily 40 – 50 seconds difference. There’s an uphill traverse!

Last year me and my mates all rode together and did the red chute. There was a few seconds difference between all our times.

This year they set off at 7:55 and did stage 1 in around 5 minutes. I set off in the last group (11:25) when it was taped off and managed a 5:52.

richardkennerley

Just got back from an extended stay in reeth. Stayed in a cottage with the family for a few days holiday and rode the sport on the Sunday.

Was pleased to make it down the steepest chute on stage 3 that caught me out last year, but then took a nasty tumble further down, hit a large flat faced rock straight on. Now got a swollen hand and a black thigh!! Lost my chain on the fast double track section and had to tighten up my headset at the feed stop. Ended up with a time of 30 mins.

Brilliant day though, totally unlike any other day out on the bike for me.

njd187
    Free Member

I was in last group also. I was basing the extra time on mates who went on Sat.

njd187
    Free Member

submarined
    Free Member

First Ard Rock, did the sport and had a brilliant time.

Unfortunately a few mechanicals – I took a few band out the rear shock the night before, got to the start of the first stage and was running a bit low in the travel, stuck my shock pump on, and it choose that moment to fail spectacularly and dump all the air or of my shock. If you’re the kind soul that lent my mate a pump to help, thank you! But for some reason it was still leaking air, so got in as much as I could and ended up running about 45% sag for the whole thing…

Stage 1+2 were so busy, got stuck in a traffic jam with no way past without pulling a serious dick move, so just enjoyed it.

4 then added me to the list of people dropping chains. Lost the outer plate of my upper guide a while ago, and never had an issue, even on blacks at BPW. But my first pedal stroke on stage 4 after the Marshall yelled ‘it’s all down hill from here!’ and the chain dumped. Gwinned it as far as I could, but had to jump off and get the bugger back on, which was soooooooo frustrating as I was on a charge up until that point stages 5 and 6 were great, loads of courtesy from people letting others passed.

Bloody brilliant weekend, top half of results which was all I wanted. Huge props to the organisers. I’m up here for the rest of the week, but if the trails are like the one the guy from the bike shop sent me on yesterday, I’m not sure I’ll be doing much more pedalling!

Now, time to try and find the outer guide plate from a TRS+ guide, and a shock pump…

chakaping
    Free Member

Reading this thread doesn’t exactly make me eager to give it a go (crowded race runs, noisy ****)… but I might come along next year and run a stall selling chain devices.

russyh
    Free Member

I don’t think numbers is an issue, more of an issue is folk riding tracks that are above their ability levels tbh.

No way folks should be walking down stuff, none of it is particularly techy.

+1, completely agree! I entered the sport catagory as it was coined as being more relaxed, being our first ard rock we didn’t want to be the ones holding people up. Became fairly aparant fairly quickly that we had got it wrong and should of gone on the Saturday. Not saying that my group are lightning fast, but it was frustrating as hell with people stopping on the trails. We kind of got it and too it for what it is, no point in getting upset or pressuring people. Just we got the catagory wrong! Next year if we get through the entry lottery I’m going Saturday race!

As for the stage 1 diversion, I can believe it added a minute. It was a fair old lump added on plus it was impossible to over take and there was a climb in the mix. We were in the 10:50 start so pretty late and there was still some poor chap on the side of the hill awaiting rescue

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Reading this thread doesn’t exactly make me eager to give it a go (crowded race runs, noisy ****)… but I might come along next year and run a stall selling chain devices.

Na Stacy, it’s brilliant, but I’d avoid the sport and do the main enduro. Marshalls are pretty relaxed and allow a decent 20-30 secs between you and folks in front, only one person held me up, a lass on the traverse along the middle of stage one, but I could see she was really trying, and new that there was a wide corner at the end of that bit to pass.

It’s defo not too busy.

postierich
    Free Member

Hardest part of the weekend was getting people to dance to the band me and my Mrs dancing at the start 🙂 Great weekend marshalled on Stage 1 at the gully on Friday Rode the event Saturday trashed my rim on stage 3 in the mud bath the punted on tubes on 4 and 6 Marshall ed on stage 6 on the jump that was closed on Sunday:-( Great event big up to Shima no for a new shifter and Sam for the brand new reverb

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The evidence of the above!

Ard rock by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

scc999

Had a great time, 1st Ard Rock, was in the Enduro. I loved every second of it.
    Got passed on almost every stage but made sure I got out of the way (probably too much tbh). Folks may well still feel I shouldn’t have been on the Saturday event, but until there is a clear requirement for a certain level of experience or some other seeding then 1st timers have no idea which class to enter.

Anyway, Postierich – we saw you dancing away and there was much love for your “christmas jumper”!!
    Sadly my experience of Shimano and SRAM was the opposite of yours. Was told that shifters were pretty much a consumable and I should get one online and that my less than 18 month old Reverb suddenly developing a sag was normal and I’d need to pay someone to service it.
    SRAM in particular couldn’t have been less interested in helping out.

Contrast that with pretty much every other exhibitor we spoke to who were super helpful and friendly.

Will be back next year and will still be trying for the Enduro.

Si

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Special mention for the stans tent btw, doing free tubeless taping and top up, guys must’ve been scunnered looking at tyres at end of the weekend!… :mrgreen:

Onzadog
    Free Member

I also noted there were a number of riders who appeared a bit out of their depth but mountain biking doesn’t have any sort of consistent grading system. There’s no way for someone who hasn’t ridden it before to know what it’s like unless a friend has ridden it and knows their ability.

As much as I felt some folk were holding me up, I think letting someone past might have been one task too many for some. Every ounce of their being was focused on survival.

justinbieber

Thought the whole weekend was bloody brilliant. My first Ard Rock, and I’ll definitely be back!

I was overtaken on stage one by someone who was absolutely flying. I then returned the favour to several people on stages 2 and 5. There was loads of room to overtake and we were given plenty of time from the marshalls between riders on the Saturday.

Thought the trails were great – nowhere near as full on as a PMBA, so you could just focus on riding rather than being scared. Although there were folk who were out of their depth, but I guess everyone has to start somewhere and the extra riders just added to the atmosphere!

Got a fork rebuild from SRAM and a new rear mech from Shimano mid race – my mech threw itself into the rear wheel on the transition between stages 2 and 3. Thankfully, it was downhill all the way back to Reeth. Unfortunately that meant I had a 4 mile climb up to stage 3!

The band were ace – my worst injury of the weekend came from the mosh pit at the end, just before everyone started crowd surfing.

Didn’t hear the church bells, but I must’ve been too drunk to care ha ha.

And to top it all, I didn’t disgrace myself with a time of 22:53 on a hardtail. Result!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

*likes*

unklehomered
    Free Member

Getting the timing right on Ard Rock, is next to impossible. Interesting everyone seems to have a better perception of it this year. There were quite a lot more riders. Last year there was a quite a bit of criticism.

Closure of the chute was down to a few minor and not so minor accidents very early on. Assessment was made that on average it was out of the skillset of most riders. There was deff a very different rider profile on Sunday.

I think the chute was ok, but the hard right entrance was a bit techy for those not used to that sort of riding, and I imagine threw a lot of people. Have to be honest when I rode down 1 at the end of Sat I didn’t even see the go round. Rode it Sunday out of interest. Not exactly a chicken run… (but I had lots of fence poles tied to my back and couldn’t really turn my head a lot which added a special kind of tech)

stevedoc
    Free Member

The chute on stage 1 cost me a good 90 seconds after having to slow right down follow the blue arrows which to be fair caused me to stop and ask the marshal WTF ? as two then passed me i was told to carry on its closed, i did how ever managed to chase the two lads down (both mates which have heard nothing but the fact they were passed) but as others have said I think people with good times from one year to the next should be vetted for the Saturday as watching people push and bail out on Saturday left a little bad taste in my mouth having to set off at 11am Sunday ..stick a cracking days ride but could have been a bit better

justinbieber

Am I allowed to say I don’t even remember a tricky chute on stage one without sounding like I’m bragging too much, or was I just not paying attention? Definitely didn’t spot any chicken lines on Saturday (or were they put there on Sunday morning after an incident?)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Its hard enough making the entry system fair, god knows how you’d vet riders.

It’s an amazing event, long may it continue.

Edit -JB I was thinking the same, but didn’t want to be called Billy big baws! :mrgreen:

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah. Vetting for Saturday entry?

Maybe. But the Ard Rock is not part of a series. There is no prize money. It’s a totally stand alone event that grew from a mates race and mad cap idea as I understand it. I don’t think the organisers had any idea how big it would get when they started it. That it still has that vibe the first one had in ’13 is brilliant and I’d be sorry to see that change, as I think it would if there were entry criteria.

For a start I couldn’t mock the people who take it very very very very seriously. And I like doing that. Closing your eyes for fifteen seconds and going to your special place when you get to the front of the queue etc.

Though one of them was also quite hung over and may just have been asleep.

They did achieve a distinct self selection of the ridersthis year, and last now i think about it. All marshals I spoke to on Sunday commented on the very different rider type, you’ll never get that 100%.
    Also it’s a very severe terrain. And if you haven’t ridden sometbing like it before then it might not occur to you the world contains that many pointy rocks all in one place.

Onzadog
    Free Member

^^^
    There’s a point where you’ve just got to say “it is what it is” and crack on. So few actually have a shot at a top ten finish that it gets a bit silly worrying after that.

akira

It’s riding bikes down a hill, if you’re getting all wound up about it you’re doing it wrong.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Am I allowed to say I don’t even remember a tricky chute on stage one without sounding like I’m bragging too much, or was I just not paying attention? Definitely didn’t spot any chicken lines on Saturday (or were they put there on Sunday morning after an incident?)

Is not that steep, but it’s quite long and surrounded by sharp rocks. Also as all 1 is slag from mining is very loose. Depends what you’re used to.

I saw one guy down on it in the first year, face first, just folded his bike up. I was genuinely surprised when he got up.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Dont get me wrong im never going to be the fastest rider on the day but when there is bragging rights involved with friends thats a whole different ball game ..

Ive not made a brew at work since 🙂

I do think its getting bigger every year and may end up with a Friday Sat Sunday next year to accommodate

unklehomered
    Free Member

I do think its getting bigger every year and may end up with a Friday Sat Sunday next year to accommodate

I was pondering similar today. Would have to if they (for example) reintroduced a sportif format, which was dropped from this and I think last year. That would also draw some of the less gnar-rad-tasting riders to an event they could enjoy on its own merits etc.

colournoise

Third year doing the enduro. First DNF. Not enough riding following a fractured elbow and just didn’t have the fitness so bailed at the pub (knew from the way I felt that the climbs up to 3 and 4 would see me riding the stages in no fit state to concentrate properly…). Discretion, valour, and all that.

Head wasn’t fully in it either – one bit on stage 1 and one corner on stage 2 had me off and walking when I rode them blind easily last year…

I’ll be back next year though…

jamesoz

Well, I’ve done the Sprint for the last two years as I’ve not managed to get into the Enduro. So I’m a bit jealous of those that got to do stages 4 and 5. I practiced 6, pointless for the Sprint but great fun.

I was a little surprised to catch riders after a couple of corners and even more surprised to see walking at a slight uphill (not a mechanical) but on the upside it makes you feel a lot faster than you actually are if you get to do lots of passing.
    I’d wager that most people complaining about traffic, (including myself, I whinged a lot) are unlikely to trouble a podium at most races and overtaking safely is after all a part of Enduro.

Also what other race could I turn up at the 3rd stage a little tipsy from a couple of pints at the pub stop.

scc999

At no point did I consider getting off and walking any part of the stages. Having said that, it was definitely some of the more intimidating / steep riding I’ve done blind.
    Not sure what that sys about my riding level!!

FFJA
    Free Member

Anyone know how the guy who was passed out in the road outside my house on Sat night was feeling on Sunday morning?! His mate and I had to drag him out of the traffic, looked like a great time at the bar

nickhead
    Free Member

Late to the party, but still buzzing from the weekend. 2nd time there riding the Saturday Enduro – ditched the Maxxis Exos (front/rear punctures on 2 and 3 last year) for a pair of Hutchinson Toros and managed a respectable time of 21:36 and 39th in Vets. Got held up a couple of times – Stage 2 by a couple of guys who’d squeezed past on the transition and asked if their mate could join them in front of the queue… followed by another 3 or 4 who rolled up. Just glad I got past most in the open bit after the steep switchbacks then caught the rest in the rocky bit at the end in time to heckle them to get off the brakes 🙂
    Frustration on Stage 6 at the guy who seemed to think not letting people past was part of the racing. I’d already passed two of his mates, called ‘rider’ at increasing volumes while trying to find somewhere to pass, marshalls also called ‘rider’ to him, eventually overtook on the outside of a corner and cut him off. He had ample opportunity but just stuck to the middle of the trail… don’t know how you can reinforce these matters of etiquette without increasing queue times… maybe a little reminder signpost at the start of each stage? Pushed a lot of the climbs – for me it’s about conserving energy and being able to give it the maximum beans when it counts.
    Some of the best racing/riding of the year again – already looking forward to and planning for next year. Some of the best organisation and logistics of any event I’ve ever been to in 10 years of racing enduro events. Earplugs a must for camping!

dans160
    Free Member

I have axes to grind.

Stage 1. Started well. Overtook someone and then got stuck behind someone who went so slow at one point I had to stop! Caught him up again where they stopped and got off on the finish line. WTF!?! I was quite cross.
    Stage 2. Was okay but forgot to put my gloves on so spent the whole time thinking about that, plus half way down I got stuck behind someone else.
    Stage 3. Nearly crashed big time. Feet off pedals audible ‘ooos’ from spectators.
    Stage 4. Forgot to pedal on the latter half so lost loads of time. Annoying as looking at my time I’d covered the tech sections well.
    Stage 5. Awesome fun. Fast but could have been faster and made a big mistake going into a tight corner.
    Stage 6. Fast but made a few dubious line choices. Could have been faster.

I need to get better at the whole ‘rider’ thing, rather than being nice and not forcing folks to move over so next year (if I do it) it’ll be a case of **** ’em! Both riders knew I was there but that’s racing I guess!?! And if I do, it will be at my own pace inbetween the stages. I need lots of rest and proper food by all accounts.

Anyway, organisation was great, trails were great, climbs were sh1te but no avoiding them so I’ll fit more appropriate gearing next time and the folks I did speak to were great. Loved the comment from one chap to his mate pleading with him not to have children as he was too thick. Made me laugh.

Dan

andyrm
    Free Member

Interesting watching quite a lot of video and reading on here too – the “rider” call thing seems a bit of an issue when catching people. It’s probably worth making a decision where you want to go and say “on your left” or “on your right” and going for it, which has always been my preferred method.

Just telling someone you are behind, when they’re possibly at their limit so not able to look round or deviate from what they perceive as a safe line probably doesn’t help.

dans160
    Free Member

On local trails I use the on your left or right thing (mostly to walkers). But again, looking back at videos of others, I should and could have been more purposeful in calling out ‘rider’. The guy I did get past moved over after hearing a very middle class ‘I’m behind you, but I’m not entirely sure how I’m going to get past you’ comment.

You live and learn.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Out of interests do Ardrock seed or attempt to separate faster and slower riders?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘Ard Rock '17 Debrief’ is closed to new replies.