• This topic has 30 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by llama.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Apple TV – Nothing On?
  • woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Got a free 3 month trial of Apple TV with a new laptop. But there seems to virtually nothing to watch. We’re only looking for kids programmes. That seems to be limited to Luck, snoopy and a few baby programmes. Plus a handful of nature documentaries.
    I compare this to the hundreds of programmes on Netflix. Even Disney has more.
    Am I missing something?

timmys

Not really, it’s definitely quality over quantity. And I’m not sure why you would think it’s a place to look for kids stuff.

Very good stuff includes;
    – Serverance
    – Ted Lasso
    – Trying
    – Bad Sisters

supernova

Severance is excellent.

Trying is great feel good tv.

Drac

Yeah it’s not great. I’ve never renewed after free trials.
    Disney will have much more it’s a giant and owns a lot of studios.

johnnystorm

As well as the poor choice I find that half the content just seems to hang and buffer without ever playing. No such probs with Prime Video or Disney+.

zilog6128

I compare this to the hundreds of programmes on Netflix

99% of those will be shite though! But yeah, despite their vast resources, Apple are obviously really not bothered about the TV stuff at the moment. I thought the Fraggle Rock reboot was pretty good though! 😀

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

And I’m not sure why you would think it’s a place to look for kids stuff.

Surely Apple would focus on the whole family – anything to make more money?!
    My wife and I don’t watch TV (although I did watch Redbull Hard-line recently) so no interest in the adult content

footflaps

I really enjoyed Foundation Season 1.

5lab

Long way up is decent, but yeah I won’t be renewing after my free trial finishes

robola

My wife and I don’t watch TV (although I did watch Redbull Hard-line recently) so no interest in the adult content

It simply isn’t aimed at you then. Loads of great content, quality over quantity. But if you want kids stuff Disney is obviously where to go.

nbt

I got a free trial, we used it to watch Slow Horses as we’ve both big fans of the books, but not bothered with anyone else and will be cancelling before the end of the freebie

thols2

Severance is really good, best show of the year, I think. The Last Days of Ptolemy Gray is good too if you want to see Samual L. Jackson doing Prestige Drama.

configuration
    Free Member

I had a year’s free sub, that’s just run out. There really isn’t anything I’d consider worth paying a sub for. Foundation I found terrible; A real waste of resources. Could have been worse though; could have had Will Smith in it. For All Mankind was also pretty bad. As for Ted Lasso; one episode would have sufficed. I think I gave up after the 3rd. It’s dire. A one joke show. Can’t remember anything else I tried on there. There might actually be something good on it,I don’t know. Netflix it ain’t. Apple usually get their product so right; perhaps they should stay away from TV though.

corroded
    Free Member

Severance is superb. Slow Horses also good. That’s about it. I had a year’s free subscription with a new Mac and that was about all I wanted to watch, perhaps also the Beastie Boys doc.

the-muffin-man

To me it just seems to be a platform to sell you stuff. Very hard to justify a subscription.

richmtb

Ted Lasso
    Severance
    For All Mankind
    The Morning Show
    Slow Horses

I enjoyed all of those. Its not got the same glut of content that Netflix has but its half the price. Watch the good shows and then cancel the subscription until something else you like the look of comes along.

thols2

Slow Horses also good

Yes, that was a pretty decent show.

kelvin

Lots of good stuff… nothing for kids though.

b33k34

Severance
    For All Mankind
    The Morning Show
    Slow Horses

All excellent.

Also Blackbird and Bad Sisters

Ted Lasso

I’ve tired of. it’s like a lightweight pre-watershed comedy show, but with lots post watershed swearing.

We’re only looking for kids programmes.

This would be your issue.

configuration
    Free Member

There really isn’t anything I’d consider worth paying a sub for.

I have to actually take back this earlier comment of mine. ‘Bad Sisters’ is the first genuinely good thing I found on Apple TV. It’s worth a month’s sub alone. Highly recommended.👍🏻

chris_jh

My add – I agree with configuration there is not much worth watching, the only thing I really enjoyed was Mr. Corman. I will give Bad Sisters a view though.

prettygreenparrot

Slow horses. For all mankind. CODA. That Mark whatsisname producer program on music production.

I treat it as a bonus as part of the family subscription. I would likely not get it otherwise despite the occasional good program.

Disney+ is the best value streaming service all round.

johnners
    Free Member

Disney+ is the best value streaming service all round

Not if you don’t much care for Marvel and Star Wars.

dyna-ti

They have one or two heavily publicized blockbusters the critics all rave about, so you sign up.

But once you’ve watched them and look about to see what else, you find its seriously lacking, or are offering little more than terrestrial TV re-runs.

DrJ

“Bad Sisters” is brilliant. Another gem on Apple TV is “Shining Girls”, with Elisabeth Moss. To echo what others have said, there are not so many shows on AppleTV but there is a high percentage of good ones.

therag
    Free Member

Shantaram
    Episode 4 comes out tomorrow, so far the audiable is far better, but still worth a watch.

ratherbeintobago

Slow Horses was good but I wouldn’t bother renewing a trial.

prettygreenparrot

Not if you don’t much care for Marvel and Star Wars.

um Pixar? The many many series on star like Bones, Boston Legal, etc. The Old man. … it’s way more than Marvel and Star Wars (not much of a fan, though Andor is great).

timmys

There might actually be something good on it,I don’t know. Netflix it ain’t. Apple usually get their product so right; perhaps they should stay away from TV though.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the 52 Emmy nominations they got this year might indicate you’re talking total bollocks.

rockhopper70

Just got a three month trial, bookmarked.

llama

Severance + a gazillion; best TV in ages.

Essex Serpent was good (period drama, but not your typical)

Is Shantaram really worth watching? The trailer looks rubbish and the reviews were crap. Asking as the book is interesting.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.