Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Apple Pencil or alternatives for use with iPad
  • scuttler

Hi I’m in the market for a new / refurb iPad. Both the 5th and 6th gen iPads are available with the main difference being Apple Pencil support. This isn’t a big deal for me but one of my kids is getting creative and it might be useful for her, however prodding a tablet with a pen isn’t new so wondered if I’d benefit from Apple Pencil support or whether any of the other £5-£100 Amazon alternatives would fit the bill for someone getting into creative activities on an iPad. I don’t know what the key attributes of a decent pen / stylus are and how much ‘native’ Apple device support might offer over third-party when it comes to usability and compatibility with other apps.

nealglover
    Free Member

Places like CEX and Game tend to have used Apple Pencils fairly cheap (compared to rrp)

Mine was around 50% of rrp and brand new in the box.

CountZero

I think Logitech do an alternative, but I could be wrong on the make; I did read a review of a similar stylus for the iPad that had a very good review, but it was a couple of months or so ago.

big_scot_nanny

Hi scuttler,

The apple pencil is significantly better in use than any alternative. It has undetectable lag/response, very satisfying to use with apps (pressure sensitivity, using on its side etc), and has bullet proof BT connect ability. Only complaints I have is the charging solution of having it sticking out of the lighting port in the iPad is really not ideal (though it is fast), and that the gen 1 Apple Pencil is too long. 2nd gen one, which only works with the most recent iPad Pros, cures both issues.

I started, years ago way before Apple Pencil, using the rubber tipped things which are really very bad. Then I tried various 3rd party bluetooth options which are also severely limited in usability – either by connection issues, or lag/response time

I can imagine you spending some time with kids consistently sorting connection issues and glitches, whereas, I hate to say it, in my experience over the last 4 yrs, the Apple Pencil ‘just works’

Oggles
    Free Member

I can’t speak for any of the bluetooth type alternatives, but anything in the £5-20 range is likely to be just a capacitive rubber nib on a stick, which are really very poor compared to the Apple Pencil. You’d get similar results using a frozen sausage.

simon_g

Logitech Crayon is £60 – it was only available via Apple Education (sold direct into schools, etc) but open to all now.

Charging arrangement is a bit more robust (lightning port just like an iphone), it still does all the clever palm rejection stuff, does tilt, very accurate, but doesn’t have pressure sensitivity. Good summary here: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/11/17842556/ipad-logitech-crayon-apple-pencil-stylus-review

The cheap ones are just emulating a finger press. Fine for young kids mucking about with basic drawing apps but not for writing or digital art.

slackboy

Having seen my daughter’s results with an apple pencil and procreate, id definitely recommend getting an iPad with pencil support.

Makes the iPad a brilliant drawing tool.

Drac

There is no equivalent check on eBay for a secondhand one.

zilog6128

however prodding a tablet with a pen isn’t new

Nope, but Apple Pencil is something totally different, a real game-changer IMO. Get it.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

The apple pencil comes with a charging lead adaptor so you don’t have to plug it into the Ipad to charge.

It is very effective.

scuttler

Brill thanks all – will probably go 6th Gen + Apple Pencil.

martymac

Plugging an Apple Pencil into the ipad to charge doesn’t charge it fully iirc.
    You need to use the supplied adapter and lightning cable.
    It’s in a different league to any alternative I’ve seen, we looked at cheaper ones but eventually gave in and bought the real thing.
    Superb.

maccruiskeen

The pencil is great – but… its improved hugely by putting a matt screen protector on the iPad – provides a bit of drag for the tip makes you’re drawing / writing more accurate and gives a better feel than working directly on the glass.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Apple Pencil or alternatives for use with iPad’ is closed to new replies.