• This topic has 51 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by poly.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Apparently I need mentoring….
  • kilo

In the civil service mentoring is a big thing atm because it sounds like the sort of thing private industry does so therefore must be good, you can stick it down on application forms along with agile and whatever bs bingo is de jour and most importantly it is cheap. There is little training budgets about so mentoring allows the veneer of personal development to be applied without spending any cash.
    Sometimes it’s very good, I currently manage a mentoring programme for operatives, as part of a training pathway, which is effective and probably the best way of training them and sometimes it’s a cheap half-arsed scheme.

MoreCashThanDash

I am CS, so agree it’s a bit flavour of the month.

Email sweated over and sent. His PA may take one look and file it in the “Delete” pile

theotherjonv

I’d have misgivings, it sounds to me like officially bureaucratised micromanagement and bullying.

I pick on this but there are several others I could have used as the example. But really?

I have mentored and mentee’d.

First and foremost you need to ensure that you get on with your mentor / mentee relationship, I’ve found it works best if you are not in the same work area. Then you can be honest about issues you/they are facing without necessarily the mentor having any control or influence over the issues specifically. I’ve asked in the past if they want any intervention by me and generally the answer is no, they just want some advice how to handle – sometimes procedures, often politics.

It can be really helpful particularly for people finding their way in the organisation; navigating ‘how to do things round here’, particular styles, etc. Also for people progressing up the ladder, helping them for that next role / to settle into that role. I don’t believe in vanilla-ising yourself totally to fit in, but if you rub everyone up the wrong way in the modern workplace it doesn’t matter how good you are at your job, it will not be appreciated.

Yes, there are pitfalls and if the mentor is only there to then grass you up to your line manager then it would be misused, but done properly can be very useful. I have certainly benefited.

As suggested above, all the email needs to say is that you’d like a chat, and then take it from there.

footflaps

Have you seen Game of Spies? two lines from that movie always stuck with me: “the boss isn’t always right, but he’s always the boss” and how calm the Russian spy remains, just replying with “would it help” when faced with varying situations.

Bridge of Spies…..

NB Poss confusing it with ‘Spy Game’ which is another excellent film…

finbar
    Free Member

If it’s proper mentoring by someone that far above you then you have dropped into the talent pool. The DD wouldn’t have the time to waste on a disciplinary

+1

A DD isn’t going to waste their time ‘mentoring’ you as some sort of surveillance exercise, that’s nonsense. Sounds like a great opportunity to me.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Maybe the mentoring is to equip you with the skill of explaining your reasonable professional opinion without being hostile. If you regularly get into situations where “you won’t back down” from disagreements with your boss, that’s a worry…and it’s not necessarily “backing down” just because you don’t get your way…

I’d have misgivings, it sounds to me like officially bureaucratised micromanagement and bullying.

Micromanagement and bullying!?!?! He’s been telt to have some chats with another manager ffs

julians
    Free Member

I have certainly not been rude, or moaning, but I will explain where I think things need improving, and I won’t back down if I believe I’m correct when my manager (who colleagues may refer to as dictatorial) pushes back.

this is a problem – you need to learn to back down, or back down gracefully without compromising your integrity etc etc

hels
    Free Member

These things are what you make of them. Decide what you want to get out this, and stop being sarcky about it, would be my advice.

MoreCashThanDash

Well, we’re booking a slot in our diaries for next week as we speak…..🤞

singletrackmind

Can this mentoring lark take place outside of the workplace
    Friday afternoon in the pub being mentored sounds ace. Win win. Or golf course, or a nice walk round a lake. Good for ticking the mental health, team building, covid friendly environment plus lakes dont have ears and you can probably actually achieve something positive.

It does sound a little bit like new kid is rocking the boat saying what we all know out loud, but if he says it too loud upstairs might overhear, then we will all look like tools for not mentioning ot sooner, or / and.. This is what we have been saying for years and got nowhere with upstairs, now its your go.

andybrad

Sounds like a great opportunity to me. Having been mentored and mentored others you have to enter into it with an open mind.

Yes there is a lot of management bullshit and flavour of the month type stuff but that 10% that is useful can really help.

poly
    Free Member

What’s his STW username?

As far as I know he’s not on here. He does drive an Audi though! And not too keen on cycling so you never know!

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Apparently I need mentoring….’ is closed to new replies.